Teddy Marshall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

With all the spare time I have during the Corona pandemic, I've decided it is finally time to create a build thread for my 75G.

Please comment with suggestions!

This tank was setup in February of 2017, so it is now well established and has gone through numerous changes since its initial setup, including a crash in 2018. I did take photos during the build, but not nearly as many as I would have liked to.

STAND BUILD:

I began by building a custom stand out of 2x4s from my local Home Depot. I created two rectangle frames 50" x 20" (top and bottom). I connected and reinforced the two rectangles so that the overall height was 46.25". Attached to the underside of the base rectangle is a 3/4" sheet of plywood (green). It is siliconed (white) on the inside edges of the rectangle to slow any minor leaks. This gives the stand an overall height of 47". The stand frame was built with 3" construction screws and standard wood glue.

IMG_8341.jpeg

The stand sits just off of my the kitchen in my home, so I wanted it to be close to eye level for the average viewer. In hindsight I'm glad that I made the tank so tall, it's great to look at and isn't too difficult to work on.

I received my tank (Aqueon 75G with backside overflow) about a week after my stand frame was complete and decided a test fit with the tank on the stand was necessary. The overall height of the tank is 68".
IMG_8329.jpeg
IMG_8369.jpeg

I then faced the 2x4 frame in 1/4" plywood facing. At the time of construction I decided to purchase a combo kit of finish nail guns and a small compressor that I planned to use for some other projects around the house. Both of these were a huge help. I then filled all of the holes in the plywood facing with paintable wood putty and then painted the inside of the stand. I made sure to leave a large opening on the front of the stand where I would be accessing the sump for the tank.

SCREEN SHOT 2020-03-24 AT 2.42.37 PM.png
SCREEN SHOT 2020-03-24 AT 2.42.59 PM.png
SCREEN SHOT 2020-03-24 AT 2.43.38 PM.png
IMG_8347.jpeg

After facing the stand, I painted it and added white trim pieces to the top and bottom.

I hung two Aqua Illumination Hydra 26s above the tank with their cable mounting system to the following settings.
IMG_9648.png
IMG_9658.png

This is the end of my build photos - unfortunately these are the only photos I took during the build process.

SUMP:

This tank started with a 20L gallon sump, which I have traded in for an upgrade to a 29G. I like using standard tanks for sumps because they offer customization at a low price.

In the 20L, I used glass partitions to create sections for the following equipment:
-Reef Octopus 152-S
-Hang-on Filter sock
-Finnex 300 Watt Heater
-Plug-in light (Home Depot) w/ plant growing bulb (Amazon) - [Refugium]
-MagDrive 1000gph pump

IMG_9646.jpeg
IMG_9647.jpeg

Changes since Initial Build:

Sump:

I now have a 29G sump from a previous build of fellow user @VSVP bet 's. VSVP who used the 29G sump on their 90G tank. This user has since upgraded to a 125G and are using a 55G tank as a sump. A link to his 125G build is: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/in-with-the-new-125-gallon-build.554616/

Equipment Update March 2020:

Reef Octopus Bio-Pellet Reactor w/ Skimz Quiet Pro 4.0 DC pump
Outlet timer for Refugium grow light (running on reverse photo period of tank lights)
JBJ Arctica 1/10 HP Chiller w/ MagDrive 500gph pump
(2) Maxspect Gyre XF250 w Controller
Changed Hydra 26 settings to David Saxby's

IMG_1432.jpg
IMG_1433.jpg

Not pictured is the JBJ Chiller, which is plumbed externally to the stand (right side clear tubing). I was worried about salt creep and humidity within the stand.

In the next few weeks I will be adding a dosing system of some sort, but I have not decided which dosing pump I will be using. I have included some photos below of my tank as it is right now.

IMG_1434.jpg
IMG_1437.jpg
IMG_1435.jpg
IMG_1436.jpg

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following along! For some reason the photos aren't showing up.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back