75g stock list help

Hitchhik3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still learning what the different types of fish are (wrasse, blenny, goby, etc) but I have my first draft of fish I think I want. This will be in a mixed reef 75g tank.

Percula clownfish x2
Bangi Cardinalfish x2-3
Purple Firefish x1
Royal gamma x1
Flasher wrasse x1
Yellow coris wrasse x1
Shrimp/yasha goby with pistol shrimp x1
Blue hippo tang x1

Is this overzealous? Any insight is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the cardinals is just really a matter of opinion. If you want a pair or trio of them go for it. They don’t move much that’s true, but hey ho, its a calm pretty looking fish. If you are looking for a peaceful fish that spends most of its time somewhat in a school, you might want to check out the Red Spot Cardinals. The stocking list looks good just remember to buy a tight lid because the goby will jump. Now Im not the tang police, therefore in my opinion and past experience, keeping a hippo tang in that sized tank is not bad short term, as long as there are ample hid places, the tank is at least 4’, have adequate tank mates, and it has a good diet. You will need to re-home the tang in a few months since they grow quickly, get really big, and aggressive. Long term not even a 6’ tank will house a full grown hippo tang. But you‘ll be able to enjoy the fish for a bit if you are set on it. Nice selection.

Janet Belanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing scientific in my answer. Just an opinion...

I feel like the yellow coris may get too big, they're ridiculously active. I'd switch for another flasher wrasse of a different color/species. They tend to stay smaller and it's fun to watch them show off for each other.

Long term there aren't many tangs that fit into a 75. My 4ft 90g wasn't large enough for the flap and glide of the smaller (Tomini/flame fin) tang.

I suspect you know you'll need roughly two inches of sand for the shrimp and goby. Just ensure that the corals on the sand don't get covered by all the digging and all rock structures are stable on the bottom of the tank. You'll be good. I love mine.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still learning what the different types of fish are (wrasse, blenny, goby, etc) but I have my first draft of fish I think I want. This will be in a mixed reef 75g tank.

Percula clownfish x2
Bangi Cardinalfish x2-3
Purple Firefish x1
Royal gamma x1
Flasher wrasse x1
Yellow coris wrasse x1
Shrimp/yasha goby with pistol shrimp x1
Blue hippo tang x1

Is this overzealous? Any insight is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Only go for a pair of bangaiis, as juveniles these fish will group up and hide within the spines of a Long Spine Urchin for defence.
As they age they split up into pairs. Often this ends up with a crime scene, with 1 pair remaining in captivity.

I would get a second Flasher Wrasse or a Fairy Wrasse in the mix. This will cause more colours to come out in the flasher (Unless you end up with one like mine and it refuses to flash).
I personally would keep the Yellow and swap the Hippo for another wrasse (or a couple of them).

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing scientific in my answer. Just an opinion...

I feel like the yellow coris may get too big, they're ridiculously active. I'd switch for another flasher wrasse of a different color/species. They tend to stay smaller and it's fun to watch them show off for each other.
I’m confused with this, yes Halichoeres chrysus gets large and relatively active. However Paracheilinus species are much more active when they display.
Yes they stay smaller (Many staying around 3 and 4 inches at max size) they are much more active and have spurts of it.

This isn’t an attack on you I just wanted to find out your reasoning behind this :)

Janet Belanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m confused with this, yes Halichoeres chrysus gets large and relatively active. However Paracheilinus species are much more active when they display.
Yes they stay smaller (Many staying around 3 and 4 inches at max size) they are much more active and have spurts of it.

This isn’t an attack on you I just wanted to find out your reasoning behind this :)
As stated previously... just an opinion.

I have a coris and flashers. I find the coris to be just as active as the flashers, but the coris is considerably larger.

OP
OP
Hitchhik3r

Hitchhik3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only go for a pair of bangaiis, as juveniles these fish will group up and hide within the spines of a Long Spine Urchin for defence.
As they age they split up into pairs. Often this ends up with a crime scene, with 1 pair remaining in captivity.

I would get a second Flasher Wrasse or a Fairy Wrasse in the mix. This will cause more colours to come out in the flasher (Unless you end up with one like mine and it refuses to flash).
I personally would keep the Yellow and swap the Hippo for another wrasse (or a couple of them).
Oh noo. I always thought cardinals were ok to get as a school. Is this the case only with bengi cardinals? Or also with pajama cardinals?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh noo. I always thought cardinals were ok to get as a school. Is this the case only with bengi cardinals? Or also with pajama cardinals?
I believe it’s only with P. kauderni

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about anthias? Are they better as a group of 3-5?
Keeping a group of Anthias is unknown on how to do it. Some tanks with groups will end up with them killing eachother off until they’re down to one or two whereas in other tanks they form some great groups.

One theory is that groups in the double digits tend to do better than groups in the single digits.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 66 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back