7of9’s 32g Borgcube Biocube

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gratuitous kitty pictures of healthy kitties!
IMG_7870.jpeg

IMG_7868.jpeg

they look great! awesome job bringing them back to health!

OP
OP
7of9

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have gotten so big! Love the black one.
The little black one, Ollie, is SUCH a cuddlebug. He starts purring the minute he sees a person, wants to be picked up and just cuddled and petted and he is SUPER soft. Spud, the tiger, is a bit more curious and adventurous and his coat is just a little more coarse.

OP
OP
7of9

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooo…yeah.

I had a crazy day today that started at 6am and didn’t wind down much until bedtime. My daughter is prone to anemia and we unexpectedly had to spend most of the day at urgent care getting her blood tested. Then, even though my day was already headed in the wrong direction, I decided it was a great idea to set up my Kasa smart plug and program it to auto feed and then not supervise the first feed.

Suffice it to say, I over-fed the tank like crazy and did a 5g water change tonight and plan on picking up 10g more tomorrow.

Bright side? I probably can hold onto the 2 shrimp I bought for a bit.

Tomorrow I’ll test, get water, and see how everybody is doing and then I’ll try to figure out where my programming went so very wrong.

OP
OP
7of9

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning!

I figured out my issues with my Kasa outlet and got that all squared away. My tank numbers aren’t too terrible this morning.

Phos is holding steady at 0.25-0.5

Nitrates have actually inched up a little! They’re at 2-5

Ammonia is a bit elevated, though…
IMG_7878.jpeg

So, I’m thinking another 5g water change today and I’m thinking I’ll pull out and clean the rocks most covered in algae in my used tank water with a toothbrush.

I’m also considering pulling out the bio-filter media from my media rack in the back and moving some of my smaller live rock pieces back there in their place.

I have bags of chemipure elite coming and a holder for my probes.

And that’s all my big tank updates/upgrades. Next month, I plan on adding the intank media basket and an ATO system to my hydros.
IMG_7879.jpeg

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning!

I figured out my issues with my Kasa outlet and got that all squared away. My tank numbers aren’t too terrible this morning.

Phos is holding steady at 0.25-0.5

Nitrates have actually inched up a little! They’re at 2-5

Ammonia is a bit elevated, though…
IMG_7878.jpeg

So, I’m thinking another 5g water change today and I’m thinking I’ll pull out and clean the rocks most covered in algae in my used tank water with a toothbrush.

I’m also considering pulling out the bio-filter media from my media rack in the back and moving some of my smaller live rock pieces back there in their place.

I have bags of chemipure elite coming and a holder for my probes.

And that’s all my big tank updates/upgrades. Next month, I plan on adding the intank media basket and an ATO system to my hydros.
IMG_7879.jpeg
Oh no!!! Ammonia!

OP
OP
7of9

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More projects!

Got a new nem guard built out of UV reactive PETG I bought.
IMG_7881.jpeg

And I built a tank cover from egg crate.
IMG_7880.jpeg

I’m waiting for saltwater to mix, then doing another water change. I also picked up some GSP at the LFS just in keeping with my “weed tank” theme I have going on. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

OP
OP
7of9

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whew! I think it’s gonna be ok.
IMG_7886.jpeg

I tested ammonia, nitrate and phosphate again tonight. Nitrate and phosphate are both bottomed out to zero and ammonia is just a little elevated.
IMG_7883.jpeg

IMG_7884.jpeg

IMG_7885.jpeg

I went ahead and gave the clowns a little food and they acted like they’d been starving for weeks. They’ve been frantically trying to hide in the anemone today as it did its best impression of a Duncan to keep them out.
IMG_7887.jpeg

IMG_7888.jpeg

It’s been a long day, but the water is clear and the corals looked happy before they closed up shop for the night.

Good night all!!!

OP
OP
7of9

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arrrrrggghhhh…
IMG_7892.jpeg

Could my family PLEASE stay out of the hospital?! No…ok.

My daughter has severe anemia and was admitted to the Children’s hospital here for a blood transfusion and iron infusion along with some tests.

Bright side…I won’t be able to fiddle with my tank for a few days and mess anything up.

OP
OP
7of9

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well…I lost the new pretty GSP I bought. I’m thinking the crazy tank instability/overfeeding issue did it in over the weekend. I also haven’t been home much while my daughter has been in the hospital. Last night I went home to feed the tank and check on the animals and the zoas and leather coral looked great, but the GSP had melted, so I pulled it out. The anemone looked good too, if a bit irritated by the clowns. The day before, I added the chemipure elite and swapped out filter floss.

My daughter is doing a lot better. She's had a total of 3 units of blood and countless iron infusions and as long as her blood tests this morning come back looking good, she should be released today and we can get back into a regular routine.

This does tell me that I need to improve my automation capabilities before I take any trips, though.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well…I lost the new pretty GSP I bought. I’m thinking the crazy tank instability/overfeeding issue did it in over the weekend. I also haven’t been home much while my daughter has been in the hospital. Last night I went home to feed the tank and check on the animals and the zoas and leather coral looked great, but the GSP had melted, so I pulled it out. The anemone looked good too, if a bit irritated by the clowns. The day before, I added the chemipure elite and swapped out filter floss.

My daughter is doing a lot better. She's had a total of 3 units of blood and countless iron infusions and as long as her blood tests this morning come back looking good, she should be released today and we can get back into a regular routine.

This does tell me that I need to improve my automation capabilities before I take any trips, though.
You can leave stuff in the tank if they look melted. Some softies will come back.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The GSP thing blows my mind. I couldnt kill that stuff with a blow torch. I have heard of others that had difficulty with it.

I'm really glad your daughter is doing better :star-struck:

OP
OP
7of9

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can leave stuff in the tank if they look melted. Some softies will come back.
I pulled it out last night before I left to get back to the hospital. It's ok. It was $12 and I'm sure I can try again later.

I'm planning to test parameters again as soon as I'm back home. I haven't been able to test since Sunday.

All in all, I'm pretty happy that all that was lost was one $12 GSP frag considering how upside down my life has been the past several days. Considering how much the tank was overfed on Friday, this could have been much worse.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I pulled it out last night before I left to get back to the hospital. It's ok. It was $12 and I'm sure I can try again later.

I'm planning to test parameters again as soon as I'm back home. I haven't been able to test since Sunday.

All in all, I'm pretty happy that all that was lost was one $12 GSP frag considering how upside down my life has been the past several days. Considering how much the tank was overfed on Friday, this could have been much worse.
Interesting timing... I just brought a half pound of GSP cuttings for my old supervisor's new tank today.

OP
OP
7of9

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting timing... I just brought a half pound of GSP cuttings for my old supervisor's new tank today.
I figure that since most people consider it almost like a weed, it will be easy enough to try more once my tank is a bit more stable. The kind I had was a little unusual with a pretty turquoise color to it instead of the grassy green.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I figure that since most people consider it almost like a weed, it will be easy enough to try more once my tank is a bit more stable. The kind I had was a little unusual with a pretty turquoise color to it instead of the grassy green.
Tank is 6' long, rock the GSP is on is about 4" diameter, GSP blob is about 13" * 9" * 6"
IMG_20231003_173724687~2.jpg

IMG_20230824_174653891.jpg
IMG_20230824_174553083.jpg

Mine is a variety that have all grown together but it's very much green, super bright. Purple mouth, long tentacles that curl. It's also a branching variety so it reaches wherever it can.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 60 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 44 21.4%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 23 11.2%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 72 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back