80g cube plumbing from bulkheads

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 80g sca cube which has three bulkheads in the overflow. Since I have decided to locate my sump in the basement, I need to route the pvc pipe from the bulkheads out the back, and then down along the back of the stand. I was going to route the plumbing so that it comes out of the cutout opening in the stand. my question, obviously you want the pipe to be completely supported to relive all stress from the bulkheads. Can anyone post a picture of their setup on how this is done? I'm guessing I will need to screw some type of blocks or standoffs to the stand, but I'm not sure what or how to go about this. In this short span, from bulkhead to downpipe, I will need to have unions. Seems like I will have little space to make the connection to also include a 45 or 90 out the back side of the tank.

I'm planning on having a herbie style drain set up. (if that matters)

suggestions?

OP
OP
reef tank 2.0

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, i believe i read on here that the pvc pipes that come with these pnp systems are metric. can the bulkheads still be used if i were to buy standard pvc? I noticed the bulkheads come with a 90 degree bend that slips into the bottom of the bulkhead. shouldn't this piece be secured inside the bulkhead? it's a slip fit, but not sure if it needs to be secured. i guess that bend certainly sends the hard pvc out the back as i need, but i'd still need to be concerned with securing it all.

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, i believe i read on here that the pvc pipes that come with these pnp systems are metric. can the bulkheads still be used if i were to buy standard pvc? I noticed the bulkheads come with a 90 degree bend that slips into the bottom of the bulkhead. shouldn't this piece be secured inside the bulkhead? it's a slip fit, but not sure if it needs to be secured. i guess that bend certainly sends the hard pvc out the back as i need, but i'd still need to be concerned with securing it all.
If the bulkheads are metric you can get metric to standard unions from coralvue. On the water box systems at least with metric bulkheads the standard side of the metric to standard union will screw right onto the lower side of the bulkhead. Your other option is some metric to standard slip couplings.

goody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this an SCA 80g cube? I just purchased one and have also been told plumbing parts are metric, but that was not the case. Possibly in the past they were.

OP
OP
reef tank 2.0

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't wanna chance it. I know all the pvc pipe had Chinese writing on them, so I ordered new bulkheads and they arrived today. Now I'm still determining if I want schedule 40 or 80 (that struggle is real!)

Put I'll provide all new pvc as I go.

I also learned that street 90s ate what I'd use to come out of the bulkhead and turn to go out the back of the stand, then down

Back