OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just RO it was measuring 0-1 so I figured it was fine and kinda forgot about it. But now a year later I've neglected to change the filters or anything so now I have this situation. Lol. And I borrowed a handheld one that is regularly calibrated.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it’s not hard to turn it into a di just hit up brs and for like 50 dollars I can get all new filters and a di canaster

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved a few of my corals around in preparation for new arrivals and cleaned out the cyano again with another 20g water change. Also making water as fast as I can to wc the fish qt.... The tank had been running for a few months now but the water is probably pretty old so I'd prefer to do a change before I put new fish in there.
20171005_191703.jpg

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this awesome trachyphyllia today, this is right after putting it in the tank.
20171006_205921.jpg
20171006_210013.jpg

It's about 3 times bigger than I expected it to be which is awesome!
I also got an anemone which is staying at the store for another day or 2 to settle in a little bit, and I'll probably pick up a few more things.

My male clownfish has decided that he likes to live in the Toadstool and keeps knocking it over, hopefully that'll stop once I get the anemone in there. Also my female clownfish is becoming increasingly more aggressive toward Sherbert (hooded fairy wrasse) chasing him pretty aggressively when he's on the left side. I'm hoping some new wrasse additions will help with that, so I have 2 new fish in qt. They had a long journey and are pretty stressed but I hope they perk up in the morning.

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish in qt are looking okay, I probably won't mention them again until they're done with qt so I don't jinx it.

Nothing really to update today. I took a few more pictures of the new trachyphyllia... I think this will become a collection.

I love the orange specks on the edge.
20171007_112656.jpg
20171007_205842.jpg

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice looking tank!
would you go bigger? like 120? i can't decide which one to choose.... what's your maintenance like? weekly? how many gallons?

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice looking tank!
would you go bigger? like 120? i can't decide which one to choose.... what's your maintenance like? weekly? how many gallons?
Thank you.
I would chose a 120 over a 90 any day. The bigger footprint is much easier to work with. The overflow box on my 90 really restricts a lot of flow as well. I am actually thinking of upgrading to a 120 because my 90 is old and the seams are starting to make me nervous. And if I'm getting a new tank I might as well get the size I really want. The 90 was free so it was a great way to get things started but it's not meant to last.
As far a maintenance... For water changes I don't really have a set schedule. I've been getting a lot of algae lately so I've been doing water changes 2x a week if I have time. I always change the same amount of water, about 20g which is the size of my mixing container. I also blow off the rocks with either a powerhead or turkey baster once or twice a week.

I'm currently dosing Seachem reef fusion 1 and 2 as my 2part, about 25ml 2-3x a week. And a diy nopox (150ml Vodka 350ml vinegar), I've slowly ramped it up and I'm at 7ml a day, still trying to reduce nitrates.
I top off every day and feed the fish at least twice a day.

Overall I can't imagine the maintenance being very different for a 120 and if I were to upgrade I would still use a lot of the same equipment.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U get ur ro or di figured out?

Brs has ten points back this week if u sign up perfect time to get a di and replace all filters bet that will clear up that algea

And yes overflow boxes stink that’s why I removed mine and added a ghost overflow so much better

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U get ur ro or di figured out?

Brs has ten points back this week if u sign up perfect time to get a di and replace all filters bet that will clear up that algea

And yes overflow boxes stink that’s why I removed mine and added a ghost overflow so much better
I changed my carbon and sediment and got the tds down to about 5 that's good enough for right now. I have everything I need for DI at work so I just have to bring it home and set it up. Today's water change was the first I did with the cleaner water and I'm going out of town for the next 2 days so I'll see how it looks when I'm back.

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to get up early this morning and I learned that my fish are awake before its even fully light out. Even Sherbert who goes to sleep around midnight.
20171010_234654.jpg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had to get up early this morning and I learned that my fish are awake before its even fully light out. Even Sherbert who goes to sleep around midnight.
20171010_234654.jpg
That's a beauty!

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if I mentioned it anywhere else in this thread but my tank is old, and the seams are starting to make me nervous. There's at least one chip on one of the corners and the silicone is peeling away or missing in a few spots. I would much rather prevent a leak than clean one up, so I've been thinking about switching to a new tank. And if I'm doing that I might as well upgrade. I thought about it last week and I haven't been able to get the idea out of my head since then so I think it's gonna happen.
Right now the plan is to get a new 120 and drill it myself for a Synergy Reef Ghost overflow. I'm most likely going to use a cinder block and 2x4 stand, and place my sump next to it on a smaller cinder block and 2x4 stand. I'm going to get a new return pump, since I was planning to anyway, and reuse my sump, skimmer, powerheads, rock, sand, and light. I'm probably gonna get a little bit more dry rock.
I'm hoping to have all of this done by the end of the year. I really thought I'd be happy with a 90g when I got it and wasn't planning on upgrading so soon but imo it's just a big risk to take. And once I got the idea in my head for an upgrade I can't get it out.

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added this awesome neon bubble tip along with an anemone crab. I tucked its food into a little hole in the rock but it's already decided it doesn't like it there and is moving towards my gorgonians. I'll be keeping a close eye on it.
20171013_210246.jpg
20171013_210044.jpg
20171013_194623.jpg

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I was at work today I couldn't wait to go home I check on my new anemone and see where it was but it's holed itself up in a crevice in the rock and my poor little male Clownfish is desperately trying to live in it. Lol. Hopefully it feels a little bit more comfortable tomorrow and opens up a bit more, I can't imagine it's happy atm since it's not getting any light. But I'll let it do it's thing for now.

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my clownfish are preparing to lay eggs, they are cleaning off a spot on the overflow box and are generally being pretty feisty today. :)
20171015_195319.jpg

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a 20g water change today, changed the filter sock and dosed remediation, and stirred up a lot of the debris in the sump to hopefully get filtered back through the system and get removed by the sock. Also cleaned out the sand with a turkey baster like usual and dusted off the rocks again.
20171017_214828.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back