A Dreliscious 40 Breeder Project

ReeferDre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let me start by saying hello. I've been in the hobby for a while and have kept a few different tanks but parted them out due to moves. I love the open minimalist Look and just can't achieve it with my current 20 long the way that I would lIke. Well most of you know about the Petco $1/ gallon sale. My wife took advantage of it and bought me a 40 breeder which she knew that I really really wanted. I then purchased n unfinished cabinet from home depot along with a countertop. I had the bottom drilled and an overflow box made by my local LFS Underwater World. Thanks Gregg. My buddy Danny hooked it up with a sump from cadlights and a bubble Magnus nac3. I plan on a mixed reef. With a good amount of fish. I currently only have 2 clowns in my 20. So here is alist of equipment and a few pictures.

-40 gallon breeder
-cadlight sump
-2 AI sols
-MP10
-Reefkeeper Lite w/ dual float switches for ATO
-Bubble Magnus NAC3
-2x13w compacts for fuge
-BRS two part dosers
-BRS carbon/GFO reactor

607bec6f.jpg

So I still need to get some foam to put underneath the tank it and give everything a good wash. Hopefully the tank will be wet within a week or two.

OP
OP
ReeferDre

ReeferDre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know where I can get a threaded barb adapter for a mag 5 I can't seem to find one anywhere?

hddtran

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the stand looks appear to be the kitchen cabinet stand. if that is the case, you might need to reenforce it so that it can handle the weight.

as far as threaded barb adapter, check on marinedepot.com
also check with Jay's Aquatic to see if Jay has it. He seems to have most plumbing parts in the store

OP
OP
ReeferDre

ReeferDre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found an adapter thats 1/2 " barb I'm gonna run a 1/2" hose to a 1/2-3/4 adapter should work and maybe help head loss. Hopefully it's finished by Sunday I actuall have a day off.

acan lord

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 ai sols? Sheesh man! I would think one would be more than fine. Esp for a mixed reef. I see two as an outright waste. I also second that about adding supports to the stand.

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stand will definestly need to be beefed up to hold the weight! 40x8=320lbs. will take off say 7 gal do to rock and/or sand still at 260lbs. then rock 50lbs? sand 50lbs? looking at roughly 400lbs on that cabinet and i dont know many kitchen cabinet rated for that weight.

OP
OP
ReeferDre

ReeferDre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Th 36" tank is too wide I tried when I first got the tank and the ends are way to dark. Would a few 2x4s be enough to reinforce it. I had a 60 g on a marineland stand that was like paper compared to the cabinet and that stank is still up in use at another reefers house. Safer is better on the other hand. I was also planning on putting the tank on some foam does lowes or home depot have styrafoam sheets?

hddtran

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no foam sheet are necessary for tank with the black trim on the bottom.
People use the foam on rimless tank that do not have the black trim on the bottom.

OP
OP
ReeferDre

ReeferDre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sad update I woke up Monday morning and my living room smelled like fish soup. Something malfunctioned I think it was my RKL and turned my heater on and the tank got to 94 degrees. I lost almost all my coral 1 torch a few zoas and my red planet frag miraculously survived along with my fish. I guess it's time to regroup and restock. Urghhh.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back