Acro STN?

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is almost 4 month old and my parameters has been really stable. My tank is decently stocked with softies and LPS and they’re all doing extremely well.

I have a montipora that I transferred over to this new tank at 2 months and it’s growing and looking amazing.

So I had this Acro for 3 days and it’s held it’s color since day one. It was a cheap $20 frag and I know I had a high chance of it dying but so far so good.

When will I start noticing STN or RTN for this Acro if it doesn’t make it?

7020D718-2EA7-46FD-B10F-CBB8F1F219FB.jpeg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME it can happen anytime, but if it takes off and starts encrusting and growing new branches it is much less likely to happen. Which I guess makes sense because it’s a sign that the coral is happy. There doesn’t seem to be a specific time frame where you can guarantee it’s going to survive, again this is just in my experience.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it will be very difficult to keep acros in a 4 month old tank successfully unless you are a highly experienced reefer and started with live ocean rock. The biodiversity and overall tank balance just isn't there yet. once you see abundant coraline algae growth that is a good indicator that you are ready for SPS.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think sponges are also a good sign the biome is ready for acros.

That said, I have done a couple insta-reef tanks for others that grew acros from the get go. All live rock. I did a build thread on it here:

JMacedo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acros are not difficult to keep but there is need to have very stable parameters, good lighting and strong random flow, I would avoid any adding of any kind of addictives, during the initial phase of starting with acros and would do weekly water changes instead just monitoring for any consumption of elements and replacing them if needed to. Avoid any alk swings.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stable parameters can be helpful but not required and means absolutely nothing if your foundation/method or parameters are wrong to begin with.

What are your parameters?
System lighting and export?

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Focus on stability.
Whats your plan?
Parameters you want to keep?
You can put acros in in a few days if you know what your doing and have the knolwedge. However that is not something I would recommend without the proper experience.

Give us a full tank shot.

OP
OP
J

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Focus on stability.
Whats your plan?
Parameters you want to keep?
You can put acros in in a few days if you know what your doing and have the knolwedge. However that is not something I would recommend without the proper experience.

Give us a full tank shot.
Heres a lazy photo . Frags all over the place . Tried fighting vermited snails but I’m not going to win the battle . I need to Rearrange everything back.

tanks in fallow lol

D33BFB3B-9412-4C0B-8786-A78DE9F4B9E7.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stable parameters can be helpful but not required and means absolutely nothing if your foundation/method or parameters are wrong to begin with.

What are your parameters?
System lighting and export?
7 days in Acro still looks good .

Alk stable at 9
Calicum 450
Mag 1400
salinity 0.24

Just bought
saifert nitrite test kit
and Hanna phosphate checkers
Don’t have the time to test them yet
My toddler keeping me away from the tank lol but the color of corals are bright that’s why I wasn’t in a rush to test them.

Running 2xr15 G5 pro at 46% intensity but slow raising it up. Acro is at the top and center of lighting .

2 Nero 5 running on random.

Red Sea 350 91 g

Last edited:

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had fish but it’s fallow as of right now
Alrighty
If I was forced to make a $100 bet then I would go with stn over the next 2-3 weeks. Even though it won’t be true “stn” I most of the ppl here will call it that. The polyps will start to retract, then the tissue will look dull and dried out. At that point the coral will be dead but look like theres tissue. Lastly that remaining tissue will start to flake off.

Like I said earlier…stable means nothing if you don’t have the right system foundation. Fish poop is part of that foundation.

No offense. I hope I’m wrong

jx.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience for an initially healthy frag in an unsuitable system… it will start with great PE, which will gradually reduce over 2 weeks. At that point, you’ll start to see a lot of culminating stress (fading colors, non-existent PE, dry looking skin) before flesh starts peeling. If it still looks healthy after a month, it’s safe to say the frag is pretty stable.

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty
If I was forced to make a $100 bet then I would go with stn over the next 2-3 weeks. Even though it won’t be true “stn” I most of the ppl here will call it that. The polyps will start to retract, then the tissue will look dull and dried out. At that point the coral will be dead but look like theres tissue. Lastly that remaining tissue will start to flake off.

Like I said earlier…stable means nothing if you don’t have the right system foundation. Fish poop is part of that foundation.

No offense. I hope I’m wrong
My mostly SPS frag system is 100% fishless and has been for 6 months.
AFCB1002-6F37-4320-B494-779D000843C5.jpeg

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest that you start to add ammonia/ammonium. This is the only thing that for-sure gets nitrogen to your corals. They will need at least a trace of it moving forward. It is not expensive and easy to dose.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres a lazy photo . Frags all over the place . Tried fighting vermited snails but I’m not going to win the battle . I need to Rearrange everything back.

tanks in fallow lol

D33BFB3B-9412-4C0B-8786-A78DE9F4B9E7.jpeg
Does look like a "new" biome. Kinda a difficult spot for acropora, but hey, you never know. Add in the lack of consistently available ammonia and it gets trickier still.

ps: maybe just a typo, but test for nitrate, not nitrite.

OP
OP
J

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does look like a "new" biome. Kinda a difficult spot for acropora, but hey, you never know. Add in the lack of consistently available ammonia and it gets trickier still.

ps: maybe just a typo, but test for nitrate, not nitrite.
Yeah my bad nitrate, I have the test kit but been lazy to test it but my Acro is going 2 weeks strong! Looking good!
Maybe next week will be the difference maker?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my bad nitrate, I have the test kit but been lazy to test it but my Acro is going 2 weeks strong! Looking good!
Maybe next week will be the difference maker?
Two weeks is a good sign for sure, but yeah, reaction to stressors in acros can be delayed a few weeks. Makes it tricky sometimes to deduce "what happened". That is why it is important to keep logs of actions, test results, changes. I keep pretty good logs in the APEX Fusion app.

Sometimes, a given piece just up and dies while everything else just chugs along. Leaves me scratching my head every few months.

OP
OP
J

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s an update
I tested my nitrate .25 a little high and phosphate 1.8 again a little high.
2 weeks and here’s an update of it

Attachments

• 78FE5341-D830-48E4-A936-D7E4BE6BF59D.jpeg
    78FE5341-D830-48E4-A936-D7E4BE6BF59D.jpeg
    168.2 KB · Views: 52
Back