Adding a Flame Angel to a 32???

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!! So I have room for one more fish in my 32 gallon cube and I want it to be something stunning. I've been toying with the idea of maybe putting a captive bred flame angel in there... Personally, I think it's one of the most stunning fish in the reefing hobby. I want to hear what you guys think about this. I'm open to everything and want the best for the fish.

A little insight on my tank. I have a pair of (not even 2 inches long) clownfish, a golden sailfin blenny, and an orchid dottyback. It's a mixed reef and I've heard about some flames picking on corals so I'm completely aware and willing to take the risk.

Thanks for reading and please let me know what your experiences have been with the fish! #reefsquad

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you desire to keep sps or clams you might want to reconsider.

I have had 4 dwarf angels in that size of tank and 3 picked at sps and clams. Coral beauties and Cherubs so take that for what it's worth.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame angelfish do have a reputation of nipping at corals. Not all of them do but occasionally you get one that does. With that being said a 32 I think is going to be far to small for a long term housing for a flame angel. Ideally they require a 55 to 75 gallon, you can potentially get away with a 40 breeder due to the width. But I wouldn't in a 32 :)

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full grown flame angel would be too big for that size tank, but get a young one and I think it would be fine for a few years. They are a risk with coral and you need to be willing to either sacrifice the corals it may want or be prepared to tear your tank apart to get the angel out.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!! So I have room for one more fish in my 32 gallon cube and I want it to be something stunning. I've been toying with the idea of maybe putting a captive bred flame angel in there... Personally, I think it's one of the most stunning fish in the reefing hobby. I want to hear what you guys think about this. I'm open to everything and want the best for the fish.

A little insight on my tank. I have a pair of (not even 2 inches long) clownfish, a golden sailfin blenny, and an orchid dottyback. It's a mixed reef and I've heard about some flames picking on corals so I'm completely aware and willing to take the risk.

Thanks for reading and please let me know what your experiences have been with the fish! #reefsquad

I would say no. I had one in my 36 gallon and it became very aggressive to it's tankmates and quite frankly looked very cramped in the rockwork. Oh and he nipped at the corals. Flame Angels tend to be one of the more aggressive Dwarf Angels. Here is what mine looked like in my 36 gallon:

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and no!

I have a captive bred, not raised, flame, love her to bits.
When I got her she could swim through egg crate!
I have watched her lots as she has grown up and she is now a 2 inch fish.
I would say that a baby one would be fine it that tank for about 6 months.
Mine is still shy, it's just how she is but she is always on the go hunting and grazing. I think, just my opinion, that a lot of their problems are boredom, my fish stocking is mostly about useful fish that naturally graze and hunt, they get flake twice a day due to a few fish I do have to feed and random additions to keep things interesting.

... so no, get a bigger tank with lots of rockwork and then get one! :)

As to corals, mixed reef and I added this 2 weeks ago, I trust my little girl! ;)
*Insert Jaws music!*

DSC_0002 by sshipuk, on Flickr

Mkus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say ok with a captive bred one my friends shop just had a bunch in they eat anything prepared which with a captive bred angel that’s good no nipping at corals
They’re $99.00

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
angels like to swim, unlike some other species that pick a home and stay close. That is why fish size is less a factor than is habitat when determining what size tank for dwarf angel.

IMO, a 32gal would feel like a Manhattan apartment to a flame. Doable but lacking the option of the weekends in the hamptons (or jersey shore for the common folk)

nipping is hit or miss

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Pygmy Angel is an alternative to consider. Mine is a model citizen in my 32 but of course YMMV.
Agree. Your cube is too small for a flame. :)

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say ok with a captive bred one my friends shop just had a bunch in they eat anything prepared which with a captive bred angel that’s good no nipping at corals
They’re $99.00
Why would a captive bred angel be better than any other flame angel, just curious? Won't they get the same size and eat the same foods? I agree with consensus though, that tank will be to small in the long run and every flame we owned liked to nip.

Mkus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their survival rate is way better less prone if at all nip at corals friends store had 20 in about 1.5 inches,they’re very beautiful fish
And why if possible would you buy a wild fish that was captured using who knows what means including cyanide poisoning !

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their survival rate is way better less prone if at all nip at corals friends store had 20 in about 1.5 inches,they’re very beautiful fish
And why if possible would you buy a wild fish that was captured using who knows what means including cyanide poisoning !
Sounds like a blanket statement to me.... I'm all for captive bred fish but I'm not sure on your argument how there not gonna nip at coral. As far as survival rate we've never had an issue with flame angels in the wild. It was a question, that's all.

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just looking for an active fish for my tank. It doesn’t have to be an angel but maybe a wrasse or something else. I feel like my tank is missing a center piece

Mkus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pygmy is great fish may nip a bit at corals i have one in my 24 for over a year great fish and as always with any angels you need to keep them fed and watch for nipping at your corals

Mkus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a blanket statement to me.... I'm all for captive bred fish but I'm not sure on your argument how there not gonna nip at coral. As far as survival rate we've never had an issue with flame angels in the wild. It was a question, that's all.
Any fish will nip at or around a coral its the chance you take if you really want a specific fish that’s prone to doing so.
I know that the captive bred have a way better survival rate and are fed prepared foods from the start so it’s just fact that someone with less experience will have a better chance for the fish to thrive than just survive on prepared foods

Mkus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any fish will nip at or around a coral its the chance you take if you really want a specific fish that’s prone to doing so.
I know that the captive bred have a way better survival rate and are fed prepared foods from the start so it’s just fact that someone with less experience will have a better chance for the fish to thrive than just survive on prepared foods

Back