Adding a sump- have questions though

TN_Huskymama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am working on adding a DIY sump to my 75g tank. Been using a canister filter for 18 months but want to upgrade. I will have a CPR overflow with the little pump that helps maintain siphon. And I bought an appropriate size return pump to match the flow (thank you to a BRS tech who helped me choose). Just have a few more things to work on.

#1 for those who have a sump, is it better to use tubing or PVC for my water lines?

#2. Since I will be adding extra water water to the system now via the sump addition, will it cause my tank to go through a cycle again?

#. What advice to you have for new people transitioning from canister filter to a sump?

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#1 for those who have a sump, is it better to use tubing or PVC for my water lines?
personally I always have used pvc for my lines to the sump and hose to return.
reason for the pvc for me is that I can make it look cleaner, easy to fix issues because of added disconnects, and it was just what I was taught many many years ago.

#2. Since I will be adding extra water water to the system now via the sump addition, will it cause my tank to go through a cycle again?
adding extra water will not restart your cycle. Adding rock to the sump will not cause a cycle either (unless you are adding a fuge, and it will be such a minor cycle that you will not notice at all)

#. What advice to you have for new people transitioning from canister filter to a sump?
This is where the major fun begins, the tinkering, things you can add and do with a sump highly outweighs a canister! no more cleaning sponge, just changing out filter socks.
you going to love it when your done, but hate it when changing over.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back