adding new sand

  • Thread starter Thread starter aslmx
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

aslmx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 10, 2011
Messages
1,223
Reaction score
323
Location
goldridge
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to add some sand, do I just go buy some and throw it in? Whats the best to use? I really dont want the real fine stuff.
 
I personally like the Tropic Eden Reefflakes. But what ever sand you choose, make sure to soak in RO/DI for a week or so or until the water reads 0 PO4. Do daily 100 percent changes of the water. This way you won't have a nasty algae bloom when you lay in the new sand.
 
I like the Tropic Eden Reefflakes myself as well.

Honestly though I think with most new sand you will get a algae bloom no matter what. I have always just rinsed it and added it in to the tank with no problems.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 28.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new