Adding reef brite to Kessils?

mandarin417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With Kessil A360X's on a tank, the directional nature doesn't "light up" the lateral sides of fish like I get with my MH and BML super actinic led bar. My scribbled angle looks dull under the Kessil. What reefbrite version angled inward to the tank would enhance my fish coloration - blue, daylight, 50/50 - best?

BurgerFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the responses. So, I ended up adding one strip of actinic blue reef brite xho about two weeks ago. Obviously too early to say if there are any significant improvements but there is definitely better color pop for all the corals. I turned my Kessils down to max out at 60% instead of 90% and I will slowly ramp back up depending on how corals respond. Anecdotally, some LPS - especially euphyllias - appear to have more extension. Definitely better fluorescence out of acros and montis. So far I’m really liking the effect, other than my janky DIY hanging solution.
E432073C-C9C6-4A5B-8EB6-D77129F602A4.jpeg
E432073C-C9C6-4A5B-8EB6-D77129F602A4.jpeg
Any update? How do you compare XHO and Kessils?

gingergiant17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a 120gallon with 2 kessil 360x which I just added the reef brite xho actinic blue about 6 weeks ago. Great combination!! The reef brite really makes some of the corals colors pop. Indo gold torch looks 100% better with the addition of the reef brite.
Did you use individual bars of the reefbrites or the mini connect options they have for other models?

FreeEnergyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're aiming for more sps, then I suggest more 360x's. You can add the reefbrites for extra pop, I went with Orphek on my tank and really like the combo. I'm running 30% color, 100% violet with no red or green. The Orphek blue plus bars really add the extra pop and compliment the kessil's well, which the reefbrites should as well.
Your NO3 is fine, but get your PO4 to register, it's far more important to have phosphorus available for your corals.
2B491D49-73A0-412A-BE2D-5CE269A582F9.jpeg

30BC2B6D-551F-42F5-8A52-630D4CE40C79.jpeg

855A4E76-2AA0-4EA5-BFA9-6F2A886DB305.jpeg

Here's a couple pics under those settings. But I'll include a couple when the lights ramp down and is more blue so you can see the extra pop.

DDC686BA-8823-4FA8-8643-6E0F9DB86CB1.jpeg

9A450526-FD17-42EE-8FF1-044B22EDDFA5.jpeg
I'm upgrading the lights on my 75g and am going with 2 360x kessil and 2 reefbrite (for now to see how it works (eventually going with 4 360's) and spacing them how the brs video says. But I already have 2 orphek or3 bars a day plus and a blue plus. I was thinking about getting the orphek actinic strip (the violet one) and just add it in with the other 2 orphek cause I dig the look and the xtra par punch tkessil? Reason I chose the reefbrit is the mounting height is low like the kessils. My question to you is how high did you mount your orphek strips vs your kessils and do u like the orphek kessil combo? minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm upgrading the lights on my 75g and am going with 2 360x kessil and 2 reefbrite (for now to see how it works (eventually going with 4 360's) and spacing them how the brs video says. But I already have 2 orphek or3 bars a day plus and a blue plus. I was thinking about getting the orphek actinic strip (the violet one) and just add it in with the other 2 orphek cause I dig the look and the xtra par punch tkessil? Reason I chose the reefbrit is the mounting height is low like the kessils. My question to you is how high did you mount your orphek strips vs your kessils and do u like the orphek kessil combo? minus9
I really like the Orphek/Kessil combo a lot. Unfortunately, I couldn’t mount the Orpheks higher in my canopy, so they’re only an inch higher than the Kessil’s. Ideally, I would mount them about 12” or so, but this depends on how deep your tank is? You’re better off getting the new blue sky version over the actinic/UV bar. The Kessil’s will provide all of the UV and Violet you’ll need, so you’re better off adding more coverage from the blue sky.

FreeEnergyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the Orphek/Kessil combo a lot. Unfortunately, I couldn’t mount the Orpheks higher in my canopy, so they’re only an inch higher than the Kessil’s. Ideally, I would mount them about 12” or so, but this depends on how deep your tank is? You’re better off getting the new blue sky version over the actinic/UV bar. The Kessil’s will provide all of the UV and Violet you’ll need, so you’re better off adding more coverage from the blue sky.
Ok thx good advice, now which would be better in your opinion of course to mediate the shadows u get from the kessils? Reefbrite or orphek?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok thx good advice, now which would be better in your opinion of course to mediate the shadows u get from the kessils? Reefbrite or orphek?
If you’re mounting the Kessil’s close with the native reflector, then reef brites are the way, but if you’re mounting higher and maybe using the 55 degree lenses for the Kessil’s, then Orphek. Also, if the tank is deeper than 20”, the Orpheks will give you the punch.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back