Adding SPS, slowly ramp up flow for fish?

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added sps coral to a tank that had no coral and 10x turnover at maybe 3000 gallons per hour. My fish have been in there for a year now. Moorish idol, Queen angel, and 5 tangs. I just put in 2 mp 40s that I plan on running around 100% to get the flow I need. The fish are not use to this much current. Should I ramp up the pumps in stages so they can build up muscle. Or do the Acropora and Montipora need high flow right now? I have what appears to be the most hardy, aggressive, food driven moorish idol of all time and do not want to risk his health. Any thoughts?

I just added acropora(green slimer and garf bonsai), about 8 branching encrusting and plating montipora(The thing, digi, 4 plating, superman, and jetti mind trick among others) birds nest, chalice, zoas, mushrooms, pavona, cyphastria, and lepto. They were moved yesterday after 74 days of quarantine. I went all out after never having corals to see what will get eaten and what can survive in my tank.

image.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added sps coral to a tank that had no coral and 10x turnover at maybe 3000 gallons per hour. My fish have been in there for a year now. Moorish idol, Queen angel, and 5 tangs. I just put in 2 mp 40s that I plan on running around 100% to get the flow I need. The fish are not use to this much current. Should I ramp up the pumps in stages so they can build up muscle. Or do the Acropora and Montipora need high flow right now? I have what appears to be the most hardy, aggressive, food driven moorish idol of all time and do not want to risk his health. Any thoughts?

I just added acropora(green slimer and garf bonsai), about 8 branching encrusting and plating montipora(The thing, digi, 4 plating, superman, and jetti mind trick among others) birds nest, chalice, zoas, mushrooms, pavona, cyphastria, and lepto. They were moved yesterday after 74 days of quarantine. I went all out after never having corals to see what will get eaten and what can survive in my tank.

image.jpg
These fish are found on rather shallow coral reefs, actually I think moorish idols are found around surge zones. So they will be used to some amount of power and you should be just fine moving them up to 100% but if you want to gradually do it then do 50% first.

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They'll be fine, the fish that is. If you plan to keep sps you're going to need that strong random flow all the time. Looking at your setup you can hit 100% on all pumps as I don't see a reason why not to. The fish will soon start surfing into those currents having fun.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back