#R_TST

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noob here. I’m doing my fish planning while I wait for my tank to arrive this week. I want to make sure I have decided on my livestock so I can be sure to take their habitats into consideration when I build my rock formation and start cycling my tank. Getting the 32.5 gallon Fluval Flex and wanting a lot of variety of corals. So I have a couple questions

1. Corals : Obviously I can only fit so many corals in my tank. Is there a guide as to how many you should put in a tank? I realize they will vary in size and depend on aggression. I don’t see anything that ever says if there is a max growth size. If they grow into each other will they just contain the space allotted to them or try to over take the next coral? I’m looking at easy care non-aggressive corals, soft, SPS, LPS, no hard and plan to space them out and island place those that require it.

2. Inverts: Will have a CUC of snails, hermits, & shrimp. I see conflicting info about shrimp. I was looking at Blood Red Fire, Pistol, Skunk, and Peppermint based off suggestions in videos and readings. Can more than one type of shrimp be used? Is there a best one if you can only do one type? Also wondering about a clam. Are they a good or bad idea?

3. Fish: Really seeking expert advice here. I think, depending on which fish I go with, that my Max would be 5 or 6 fish. I tried to pick easy, peaceful, reef safe and those with different habitat/tank location preferences so I don’t have everyone in caves or sand or the water column.
Are my choices compatible? Will they all fit comfortably? And I have som fish specific questions below.
My wish list is:
Benggai Cardinal
Goby
Firefish
Royal Gramma
Green Mandarin
Tail Spot Blenny

Cardinal - I very much would like 2 Benggai Cardinals. Seeing conflicting info as to whether or not this will work and whether my 32.5 g is large enough? I would be happy having only those 2 fish if that needs to be the case. Also, if I do have an issue of them not bonding or getting along, I can move one in my daughter’s larger tank.
Goby - Can’t decide between Yellow Watchman, Hi Fin Red Band, or Diamond Watchman. Recommendations as to why one would be better than the others? Really wish I could do the Hi Fin and a 2nd :(
Firefish - Probably the cool cheap Firefish, but would love a Helfrichi Firefish
Royal Gramma
Green Mandarin
- would be a future endeavor once my tank has been long established, but want to reserve a space for it.
Tail Spot Blenny - if there is still room in the tank

Thanks in advance for any and all advice. Still doing lots of research. I think my Fish list is complete aside from changes I need to make based on feedback. I’m not too particular on my CUC, just a couple questions there. And I’ve been doing lots of research on the corals and probably have a list of way more than will fit in my tank so I’m working on more research on care, growth, requirements, difficulty, etc. and trying to prioritize those I want the most.

Thanks again!

CJB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, welcome to R2R

So this is an exciting time and patience is your best friend, doing your fair time or research is the first step in the right direction. BRS TV on YouTube is where I go when I have questions or want to learn a lot of knowledge these guys are great I recommend following the 52 weeks of reefing series.

Corals: so there is no actual set limit on the amount of coral you can have. Just be prepared to do more mantience to accommodate more corals. What were you planing on using for a substrate?

Zoas and mushrooms are good beginner corals.

As far as fish there is a limit in the bio load your tank can handle. But it looks like you have a nice list and plan set up you could probably add a couple more fish at the end if you wanted to. You mentioned a goby I suggest also getting a pistol shrimp they create a cool symbiotic relationship yasha gobies remain pretty small and look cool I recommend this one. Your list seems really compatible all are easy laid back fish. You’d be fine in getting a pair of cardinals. Only issue is see is the royal gramma they can be aggressive and if your plan doesn’t change I would plan on adding that one in last.

In regards to your cleaning crew I would start off with a smaller amount, people tend to buy to much at a time and a lot die off creating problems in the beginning. Throcus snails are good Mexican turbos are good. Cleaner shrimp and blood shrimp are really good shrimp to have. I have two blood shrimp and a skunk cleaner they get along only when feeding time comes around they get a little aggressive. Skunk Cleaner shrimp are way more friendly than the blood shrimp and will eventually set up a cleaning station for fish. Everytime I’m cleaning in my tank my skunk shrimp always jumps on my hand to clean it. Clams are much more harder to get into and keep. I would wait till you become somewhat of an expert. Good luck in your journey and welcome to the hobby!

Anymore questions just ask be more than happy to help!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
#R_TST

#R_TST

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, welcome to R2R

So this is an exciting time and patience is your best friend, doing your fair time or research is the first step in the right direction. BRS TV on YouTube is where I go when I have questions or want to learn a lot of knowledge these guys are great I recommend following the 52 weeks of reefing series.
I've been watching tons of videos to help prepare everything and try to choose the best options. BRS, Mad Hatters Reef, Aaron's Aquarium are the ones I can think of right off.
Corals: so there is no actual set limit on the amount of coral you can have. Just be prepared to do more mantience to accommodate more corals. What were you planing on using for a substrate?

Zoas and mushrooms are good beginner corals.
I'm using
  • Natures Ocean Bio-Activ Live Aragonite Reef Sand 20lbs
  • Reel Reef Rock 20 lbs
  • Base Dry Live Rock 15 lbs
I have everything I've ordered in my build post. Some has arrived. Think I'll have my tank and enough to start setting it up this weekend! Anxious to get it cycling!
As far as fish there is a limit in the bio load your tank can handle. But it looks like you have a nice list and plan set up you could probably add a couple more fish at the end if you wanted to. You mentioned a goby I suggest also getting a pistol shrimp they create a cool symbiotic relationship yasha gobies remain pretty small and look cool I recommend this one. Your list seems really compatible all are easy laid back fish. You’d be fine in getting a pair of cardinals. Only issue is see is the royal gramma they can be aggressive and if your plan doesn’t change I would plan on adding that one in last.
Which gobies pair best with the pistol shrimp? Can I still get my Mandarin Goby down the road if I get a goby/pistol pair? I like the grumpy looking yellow watchman. But the yasha you suggested sounds like it would be more compatible with the Mandarin later on?

I figured I would start with the 2 Cardinals, a Goby/Shrimp pair, and a firefish and a small CUC. Get my corals started. Let things establish a while and then look at the Royal Gramma, Tail Spot Benny, and Green Mandarin later, but have them planned to make accommodations for them. And of course add CUC as needed.
In regards to your cleaning crew I would start off with a smaller amount, people tend to buy to much at a time and a lot die off creating problems in the beginning. Throcus snails are good Mexican turbos are good. Cleaner shrimp and blood shrimp are really good shrimp to have. I have two blood shrimp and a skunk cleaner they get along only when feeding time comes around they get a little aggressive. Skunk Cleaner shrimp are way more friendly than the blood shrimp and will eventually set up a cleaning station for fish. Everytime I’m cleaning in my tank my skunk shrimp always jumps on my hand to clean it. Clams are much more harder to get into and keep. I would wait till you become somewhat of an expert. Good luck in your journey and welcome to the hobby!
CUC - wasn't sure if I could have more shrimp, but some snails and hermit crabs for sure. If I do a pistol shrimp with my Goby will I be ok with some blood shrimp and a skunk as well? Doesn't all have to be initially, just future tank planning compatibility.
Anymore questions just ask be more than happy to help!
Thank you SO much for responding and helping me out. I really want to have a plan - short and long term - so I can be successful and not flush everything by making wrong decisions that could have been avoided through research!

Upvote 0

CJB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay good seems like you are using 15% more Weight of rock ratio to gallons. In my tank I find the very fine sand annoying I constantly have to blow off corals with my Baster when they get sand on them. So you using a bigger granules of sand is better for the corals in the long run and less on your part. When it comes to aqua scaping you want to make sure you have a plan where you want to set up your corals in regards to flow and lighting.

In regards to which goby pairs best? any gobies really but the YWM goby or yasha are popular pairs, you don’t have to add them together can be spaced apart they will eventually find each other. you can still have the mandarin especially if it’s something you add later because the other goby will have claimed his territory.

Mandarins are very much roamers, always moving around looking for copepods to eat during the day and at night he will bury himself just enough to only where his eyes are showing to sleep.

So when I added my shrimp I started out with just one blood shrimp and wanted another added one a month later, then two months later added 2 more skunk cleaner shrimp, for the most part at first there might be some scuffles but after a day or two they will get used to each other, my blood shrimps usually stays towards the bottom of my rock work and my skunk is up higher. My pistol shrimp stays in and around his burrow never ventures to far from the goby during the day and I really haven’t watched what goes on at night time.

They keep one atenna on the goby and when the goby senses danger it alerts the shrimp and the shrimp will go back into the burrow and the goby will follow they don’t venture very far from the burrow they decide on.

also keep in mind, what I experienced with the compatibility might be completely different with what might happen when you add everything in. But I would say to be safe add them all together in regards to the shrimps. Make sure there is a lot of hiding spots in your rock work for the pistol shrimp until he is comfortable to start building a burrow.

not a problem at all you came to R2R to learn and have a community to help you. Never be afraid to ask questions learned from others mistakes will save you in the long run.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
#R_TST

#R_TST

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay good seems like you are using 15% more Weight of rock ratio to gallons. In my tank I find the very fine sand annoying I constantly have to blow off corals with my Baster when they get sand on them. So you using a bigger granules of sand is better for the corals in the long run and less on your part. When it comes to aqua scaping you want to make sure you have a plan where you want to set up your corals in regards to flow and lighting.

In regards to which goby pairs best? any gobies really but the YWM goby or yasha are popular pairs, you don’t have to add them together can be spaced apart they will eventually find each other. you can still have the mandarin especially if it’s something you add later because the other goby will have claimed his territory.

Mandarins are very much roamers, always moving around looking for copepods to eat during the day and at night he will bury himself just enough to only where his eyes are showing to sleep.

So when I added my shrimp I started out with just one blood shrimp and wanted another added one a month later, then two months later added 2 more skunk cleaner shrimp, for the most part at first there might be some scuffles but after a day or two they will get used to each other, my blood shrimps usually stays towards the bottom of my rock work and my skunk is up higher. My pistol shrimp stays in and around his burrow never ventures to far from the goby during the day and I really haven’t watched what goes on at night time.

They keep one atenna on the goby and when the goby senses danger it alerts the shrimp and the shrimp will go back into the burrow and the goby will follow they don’t venture very far from the burrow they decide on.

also keep in mind, what I experienced with the compatibility might be completely different with what might happen when you add everything in. But I would say to be safe add them all together in regards to the shrimps. Make sure there is a lot of hiding spots in your rock work for the pistol shrimp until he is comfortable to start building a burrow.

not a problem at all you came to R2R to learn and have a community to help you. Never be afraid to ask questions learned from others mistakes will save you in the long run.
Sounds like I'm on the right path. I'm planning to do a NSA aquascape with lots of caves, tunnels, nooks and crannies so there's plenty of hiding to choose from. I have a long list of corals and plan to make locations available with a variety of lighting and flow options as well as room on the substrate for islands or individual frags. Since I'm new to the saltwater world I figure I may have to play with my flow some and see what I come up with. I have RFGs to replace the standard duck bill return flow and a WaveMaker. I wasn't sure how much I would need for a tank on the smaller side. I also imagine that as corals grow they will also redirect and impede flow and lighting so that I may have to play by ear. I'm just making my big list and taking note of their requirements (light, flow, placement, spacing, etc.) I may end up starting with what happens to be available that will get some starters at different points in my aquascape.

Upvote 0

CJB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like I'm on the right path. I'm planning to do a NSA aquascape with lots of caves, tunnels, nooks and crannies so there's plenty of hiding to choose from. I have a long list of corals and plan to make locations available with a variety of lighting and flow options as well as room on the substrate for islands or individual frags. Since I'm new to the saltwater world I figure I may have to play with my flow some and see what I come up with. I have RFGs to replace the standard duck bill return flow and a WaveMaker. I wasn't sure how much I would need for a tank on the smaller side. I also imagine that as corals grow they will also redirect and impede flow and lighting so that I may have to play by ear. I'm just making my big list and taking note of their requirements (light, flow, placement, spacing, etc.) I may end up starting with what happens to be available that will get some starters at different points in my aquascape.
Corals that require higher flow are LPS SPS it’s a little on the expensive side but if you can afford it I would look into a vortex Mp10QD that’s what I have on my biocube and it does a great job. Highly customizable in different programs and setups. A couple corals to look out for are Xenia and green polys they are invasive and will take over other corals if they aren’t on there own island. Do you have an LFS picked out to go to? Do you plan on making your own salt water?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
#R_TST

#R_TST

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals that require higher flow are LPS SPS it’s a little on the expensive side but if you can afford it I would look into a vortex Mp10QD that’s what I have on my biocube and it does a great job. Highly customizable in different programs and setups. A couple corals to look out for are Xenia and green polys they are invasive and will take over other corals if they aren’t on there own island.
GPS scare me so I don't think I will try them at all. I do want Xenia, but plan to have them on their own island to keep them under control.

I'm trying to find who the best reliable online retailers are. I don't have an LFS. Nearest would be a petco a couple hours away - don't trust them. Not sure how everything will do if I drive to those that are 4-5 hours from home. Maybe if I use a cooler and heat pack like they are shipped?

Upvote 0

CJB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GPS scare me so I don't think I will try them at all. I do want Xenia, but plan to have them on their own island to keep them under control.

I'm trying to find who the best reliable online retailers are. I don't have an LFS. Nearest would be a petco a couple hours away - don't trust them. Not sure how everything will do if I drive to those that are 4-5 hours from home. Maybe if I use a cooler and heat pack like they are shipped?
Yeah you could probably make it out to an LFS if you need to or you can get most of your stuff online have them hold it at post office and pick it up.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
#R_TST

#R_TST

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah you could probably make it out to an LFS if you need to or you can get most of your stuff online have them hold it at post office and pick it up.
Is there a single test kit I can get or do I need multiples? I was looking at a seneye, but they have mixed reviews and don't appear to test everything. I like the digitals that are easy to read. I'm still learning what I need to test and how often and am feeling slightly overwhelmed by the testing aspects but think I'm probably overthinking right now.

Upvote 0

CJB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a single test kit I can get or do I need multiples? I was looking at a seneye, but they have mixed reviews and don't appear to test everything. I like the digitals that are easy to read. I'm still learning what I need to test and how often and am feeling slightly overwhelmed by the testing aspects but think I'm probably overthinking right now.

So in the beginning you want to make sure you test for everything. You can find an API test strip on the market for a much less than what you would pay for the digital ones but the test strips are more of a ball park estimate of where those parameters are, which isn’t a big deal in the beginning but when you start adding more delicate things like some fish corals and clams you want something that is going to tell you to the exact point.

I would recommend Hanna testers,they are digital readings and they are really easy to use very accurate, I once was at my LFS and they had an api KH test that was really inaccurate reading that my alk was 17 so I brought in my Hanna checker and my water was actually spot on. You can find a starter kit on BRS, marine depot places like that.

A good salinity checker is needas well. I check my salinity everyday because of the constant evaporation you need to make sure you keep your salinity on point.

If you are going to stock your tank with things that are quite expensive you probably should but something that is accurate and easier to use.

if you want exact measurements of everything to the hundredth decimal. Triton is a service that you send your water into a lab and they test it for you and tell you exactly what you waters parameters are and what you would need to do to improve your water quality. I personally haven’t done it but thought about it a couple times. Seneye, sailfert are good brands.

as far as testing and frequency, I’d say test for salinity once a day or at least every other day. In the beginning while your tank is still cycling check your other parameters once every three days or so you could probably get by with once a week. When you start adding things like corals;
salinity, alkalinity,ph,calcium,magnesium, phosphates, nitrates are things you want to keep a close eye on. But don’t forgot the others that I didn’t list. So far I haven’t had really any big issues with my methods.

What is crucial is consistent water parameters if you test everyday for a week and see you have consistent levels but less than perfect numbers across the board that’s awesome with perfect numbers even better! , if you test everyday and see big swings in any parameters that is what you want to look into because ultimately that can cause a crash. I’ve seen tanks thrive with less then perfect parameters because of consistency. You don’t always want to chase the numbers because that could cause a swing as well go with the flow in the beginning see where you are and make small adjustments to where you want your tank to be, patience is your best friend.

Its all apart of the reefing experience this hobby is definitely a long term one imagine where you want The tank to be in a year. When you get to that point imagine where you want in to be at five years and so on.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
#R_TST

#R_TST

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set up, aquascaped, cycling!

Attachments

• 20201201_120658.jpg
    20201201_120658.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 273
  • 20201201_120909.jpg
    20201201_120909.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 148
  • 20201201_120914.jpg
    20201201_120914.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 158
Upvote 0

Feeshrfriendsnotfood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Banggai cardinals are awesome I have one in my 13.5 just maybe be at little cautious mixing the cardinals and firefish I might have gotten unlucky but mine is a mean sob and bullied my firefish to death. Just my 2¢ and misfortune. But good luck and happy reefing

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back