AEFW battle begins

reef4beer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You spend your time reading on the horribleness of aefw and never expect to get hit, lucky me found a fw on my acro and decided to dip the specific coral in some coralrx (only thing at hand) and found 2 fw's came off, after inspection found a few egg patches under the plug.

After someones response on facebook decided to cut the base off and just toss it. Yesterday I decided to take out all my acros and dip them all with coralRX. After a long hour and half (all frags) of dipping found 6 of almost 50 frags had eggs under the plug. I have decided to cut ties with the encrusted frag plug bases and save what could be saved.

After finally completing the dip found dozens of copepods, small brittle stars, asterina stars, and few fw's. From posts I've seen it seems i'm lucky I did not have a large adult population but found several egg patches.

Wish me the best of luck - hope I do not regret going deep with sps now - Will follow some friends advice and start a schedule of dipping twice a week for a few weeks. Sadly loss my wrasse a week ago when he decided to go surfing - natural predator now gone, seems pests have come to the light.

OD9U7s-KYpnj-cPh17YozJQMxBPWphe2cxBtkOA7r7QpX92IB.jpg

z-Th0tzCKLrRzsmzaz-lxcOcumoJ1SPzBX3K-gWDiCYpX92IB.jpg BtVZt57HPqcZd5Mgbj6zFLfDLYoX90FouDIppvcvl-kpX92IB.jpg

bios

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with you, death of wrasse always lead to enouncement of flatwarms in a tank
But otherway this do not happen
When acros are very healty
So first of all i will try to check them

OP
OP
reef4beer

reef4beer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24 hours later seems several acros did not adjust nicely to the dip, many lost color mostly recently added frags.

Questions relating to AEFW, although I spotted them never saw any noticeable bite marks are i've seen around. Do they not affect acros drastically, do they stay dormant? Or did I just get lucky to spot it before it got bad.

bios

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They stay dormant
Consider that 99% of millepora
Have flatwarms
But when millis are healty flatwarms do not attack them

bios

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Otherway when you see eggs mean that flatwarms can overcome defenses of the acros because are not healty
And then necessary your actions

JOSE CASAS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try dipping in bayer or malifix, both work very well killing the AEFW but not the eggs do regular dipping for 6-8 weeks is recommended.

bios

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 Qt
Both with water from tank
First with Power head
Second to place the acros after.
I handle the acro front the pump
For few seconds flow will take away flatwarms from acros
With a brush remove eggs and then place the acros in second qt