AshwinRavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I follow suit with all the other people who got stung by the reef hobby, I just can't stop obsessing myself with it. I have had freshwater aquariums for about 15 years now, reef aquarium has always been something I wanted to venture into, but just got scared away. I currently have a 48X24X12 Marineland 60G tank with African cichlids, which I am planning to change into a reef aquarium. I have 2 hang-on-back filters, 1 wavemaker, 1 power head and 1 Fluval 406 canister, in the cichlid setup.

My plan is to find someone who will be happy to take the cichlids, throw away all the gravel and live rock I have, rinse the entire setup with RODI water. Once the tank is empty, fill it with live sand, salt water, and dry rock to start cycling the tank for the reef.

My main predicament is that I am already looking ahead at buying a hang on back protein skimmer, RODI system, and LED light fixtures ( thinking about 2 Kessel a360, since i am still learning about intensity, PAR, etc., let me know what you guys think). As of now, my stand doesn't have room for a sump, I wanna know if I can get away with about 100-120 pounds of live rock and use my existing filtration setup ( 2 HOB and 1 Canister, after I thoroughly wash and change media) to have a successful reef tank.

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
120 lbs of live rock is probably twice what you need. Especially if your also gonna put live sand in your tank also. As far as your filtration goes if you were using RODI for your freshwater tank already then after a thorough cleaning it shouldn't give you any trouble. As a side note, you can tank a 10 gal tank and turn it into a successful sump tank if you have limited space. The sump will be a much better filtration setup in the long run. And the 10 gal can be a temporary solution... I say that because I made one for my 54 gallon corner tank and it works perfectly.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back