After months of research need HELP setting up my first 120 gallon saltwater tank

What kind of weir set up should i do?

• Top to bottom (tower) and utilize the 2.5inch hole on the bottom

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Box on the back, utilize one for the 1" holes and add more holes on the back

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Back of tank but 1 inch hole is too small for main Herbie drain on a 120 gallon

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Fiji. I used a shim on the back to hold it out away from the rim. It works great.

I were to do it over I would get at least the 1200 (two hole) of whatever company. My 800 can rotate and get out of level if bumped. Bit of an annoyance.

From my reading it’s all minor differences, can’t go wrong.
Thanks Beau.
I think I’m gonna go with the Fiji too but the 1200 and set up a bean animal. Hopefully I’ll be able to get it silent.

OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Fiji. I used a shim on the back to hold it out away from the rim. It works great.

I were to do it over I would get at least the 1200 (two hole) of whatever company. My 800 can rotate and get out of level if bumped. Bit of an annoyance.

From my reading it’s all minor differences, can’t go wrong.
Do you have a pic of the shim u did?

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I don’t think I do. It was basically the same as the template piece they send, except instead of a piece of acrylic I made it out of a chunk of 5/16” thick Azek I had kicking around. Drilled the same size hole as for the bulkhead, siliconed it to the tank and painted black to match the rest of my back glass.

what it did for me was make that area 5/8” thick (it just occurs to me you could make it out of glass too!) and this protrudes beyond the plastic rim. The external box then sits flush and looks pro finished rather than hacking away at the tank rim. Hopefully that makes sense.

The overflow and bulkhead are designed to slip/adjust for a variety of thicknesses, so it doesn’t care that the area is built out.

edit to add, check eBay. For whatever reason I found it the cheapest for Fiji.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and I increased the height of the emergency pipe in my box too, by an inch or so. Quieted it right down. I only get a slight babbling brook type sound through the weir when it gets dirty. Running 400-500 gph in aforementioned 800 model

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 800 Fiji and because it is so shallow, you cannot get it near as silent as I have the Eshopps.. Both are double drops by the way.. By trimming the bulkheads, I mean they were too wide for the bottom of the box, so had to square one side to get it to fit. Ended up taking off about a quarter inch..

Part of the noise might be the amount of flow I have through it too though.. Running an ADC SIcce Syncra 7. at about 50 percent.. the flow is split 3 ways and 2 of the returns go to the Fiji tank.. I should turn it down, now that I think about that.

OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 800 Fiji and because it is so shallow, you cannot get it near as silent as I have the Eshopps.. Both are double drops by the way.. By trimming the bulkheads, I mean they were too wide for the bottom of the box, so had to square one side to get it to fit. Ended up taking off about a quarter inch..

Part of the noise might be the amount of flow I have through it too though.. Running an ADC SIcce Syncra 7. at about 50 percent.. the flow is split 3 ways and 2 of the returns go to the Fiji tank.. I should turn it down, now that I think about that.
guys I finally ordered the modular marine 1600. I know its a bit overkill but wanted to go big to avoid noise and make it easier for bean animal. THe tank is in the living room so an extra 50$ wont hurt. I ordered from amazon as their website is down. Hoping it comes ASAP

More progress...i cleaned out the breeder 40g sump. i took out all old bifolds and razor cleaned the old silicone. Just gotta do a clean wash with bar keepers friend and re-silicone the inside. I guess in this meantime I can order some dry rock and start the curing process

OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I don’t think I do. It was basically the same as the template piece they send, except instead of a piece of acrylic I made it out of a chunk of 5/16” thick Azek I had kicking around. Drilled the same size hole as for the bulkhead, siliconed it to the tank and painted black to match the rest of my back glass.

what it did for me was make that area 5/8” thick (it just occurs to me you could make it out of glass too!) and this protrudes beyond the plastic rim. The external box then sits flush and looks pro finished rather than hacking away at the tank rim. Hopefully that makes sense.

The overflow and bulkhead are designed to slip/adjust for a variety of thicknesses, so it doesn’t care that the area is built out.

edit to add, check eBay. For whatever reason I found it the cheapest for Fiji.
seems too much work after buying a pre made box. Thats why I went with the modular marine and to avoid noise as much as possible. Read a lot about the modular marine and hopefully I will have no leaking issue. There was very little info about the Fiji online and didn't like the EMS horizontal design and reef savvy didn't respond to my request. I don't understand are these people that busy that they can care less about people who value their products?

OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Anchor or @Beau_B,

So hopefully the modular marine comes soon. Would it be ok to put it in the middle of the tank? Because the overflows will need another 90 at the bottom of the tank to get to the sump (it won’t be a straight shot down.). Also would it be an issue since it will be right under the glass brace?
I’m so happy I asked on the form and ended up getting a external box

Also 1/2 in glass cover or bulkhead plug to cover the whole? Heard some glass breaking from other posts and bulkheads leaking eventually.

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used quarter inch glass and silicon on 3/8 inch glass.. I would use 3/8 inch over half inch glass.. I also fill the hallow on the underside or inside the tank where the hole is filled. I like covering the glass on the outside so I dont have a hump inside the tank..

As to using bulkheads. I dont like the look either inside or outside the tank.. BUT if you go that way, I use PVC glue rather than threaded fittings.. Less likely to leak. If you leave enough PVC pipe you can cut the cap off later if you need to remove it. Are you getting the visual here?

OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used quarter inch glass and silicon on 3/8 inch glass.. I would use 3/8 inch over half inch glass.. I also fill the hallow on the underside or inside the tank where the hole is filled. I like covering the glass on the outside so I dont have a hump inside the tank..

As to using bulkheads. I dont like the look either inside or outside the tank.. BUT if you go that way, I use PVC glue rather than threaded fittings.. Less likely to leak. If you leave enough PVC pipe you can cut the cap off later if you need to remove it. Are you getting the visual here?
@Anchor
I see what your saying. My hole is on the bottom so shouldn’t have much of a visual affect. Also since the hole is on the bottom I don’t think I’ll silicone the glass from the outside. Kind of scared the pressure not being dispersed over the entire piece of glass will cause a crack. In my mind the advantage of the bulkhead is that if I ever need the hole I can use it again. But honesty right now I just want the safest possible solution.

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Anchor
I see what your saying. My hole is on the bottom so shouldn’t have much of a visual affect. Also since the hole is on the bottom I don’t think I’ll silicone the glass from the outside. Kind of scared the pressure not being dispersed over the entire piece of glass will cause a crack. In my mind the advantage of the bulkhead is that if I ever need the hole I can use it again. But honesty right now I just want the safest possible solution.

Having built a few tanks in my time, I can tell you.. Pealing that glass patch off is not a problem.. Using one of those long retractable snap off razor blades does the trick.. i also have used a sharpened metal putty knife.. Silicon has been my choice most of the time when patching.. I would also put the patch on the inside.. I will mention, I have never had a failure with a patch on the bottom outside. However those have been smaller tanks than what you are patching. Usually 40 gal or smaller. Sounds like you have this well at hand with your plans, Keep us updated.., Are you going to start a regular Tank build Thread? I think it would be cool to see your progress.

OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Anchor @Beau_B started my build thread. Idk how but gonna try to document the process.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would seal it from the inside, something about having the water pressure aiding the seal feels better. Silicone that sucker in, it won’t leak.

putting the overflow under the brace isn’t a safety concern, but it might be difficult to access. Just have to lay it out and see if you can have it high enough to get the water line where you want it and still be able to get the cover off and clean the box. Others have done it successfully, so you should begood too.

Great choice with the MM. I think they're backed up with production right now; but from what I hear it's worth the wait.

OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would seal it from the inside, something about having the water pressure aiding the seal feels better. Silicone that sucker in, it won’t leak.

putting the overflow under the brace isn’t a safety concern, but it might be difficult to access. Just have to lay it out and see if you can have it high enough to get the water line where you want it and still be able to get the cover off and clean the box. Others have done it successfully, so you should begood too.

Great choice with the MM. I think they're backed up with production right now; but from what I hear it's worth the wait.
Thanks. Exactly what I’ll do since both of you were ok with the silicone seal

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back