AI Nero 3 - Garbage

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve also had good experience with Tunze equipment in general with the exception of the Nano 6020.000 powerhead. The Nano 6020 I had stopped working after a year. I’m running Tunze 6015s, MP10s, and a new Nero 5 in one tank with no issues.

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three weeks in I couldn’t run mine (Nero 3) over 75% without the red light popping on and pump shutting off. AI had great customer service, just hope the new one lasts a bit longer.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I suspect that those Tunze are AC? I have two Hydro's that I picked up in 2008 and it was used. One is leaking voltage now after I left it in vinegar for a few days, but still works and used daily.

My understanding is that DC pumps just fail a lot more, but a Nero3 is on my list of buys either way.
The 2 oldest are AC

The other 3 I have are all 6095 pumps. They are newer with one being brand new

michaelmessinaglass

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just returning it. My gut tells me to just get something else ... I think it is also because I was debating which one to get, and figured I would pay a higher price for a better product and not have to worry. There have been other issues as well. My experience has not been pleasant so far. Just going to count my losses and move on
Totally understand that feeling. I hate being disappointed with products, especially when you spend extra thinking it will guarantee being satisfied. I hope you get a pump that works!

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my Tunze Stream in 2004. It was one of the best investments I made for my tank.

The only things I haven’t replaced is this pump, My Aqua Controller, Jr., the tank, sump, Eheim return pump and Live Rock.

JaaxReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had two Nero 3’s fail on me and seize up. A third one just started acting up again yesterday… No amount of disassembly and soaking/cleaning in citric acid solves the issue. Just acts like it is bound up like there is a driver failure with a flashing red light.

I can’t in good conscience recommend them to others beyond the fact that AI has a good replacement program and stands by the warranty. Just hasn’t been reliable for me… if I could just get a refund and buy something else I would.

Mike konesky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a Nero 5 making crazy noises right out of the box. Returned. Never again. Highly suggest handling one of these flimsy 'toys' before buying. Spend the money and get a Mp or Tunze.

dlegare

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured you "get what you pay for" and I would get the AI Nero 3. Read some bad reviews on people having problems with it (blue ring light flashing to red light) not long at all after they got it.

Welp...not even 30 days in and had issues with it to the point I have to send it back and it is broken. (Nothing got caught in it, none of that) I did a search online to find many people having the same issues.

If it was an isolated incident ... no biggy. It happens. But I'm sorry, for $150 for a pump, there should not be this many problems this early -- unacceptable. So for all you thinking of getting one, buyer beware. Do some research first.

Back to the jaebos ... hey they even make a compact one now as well!
After reading this post I remembered I have a Nero 3 in my tank that’s been unplugged for several months

plugger it back in and it’s working like a champ

I’m curious what AI customer service said about your particular incident

dlegare

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured you "get what you pay for" and I would get the AI Nero 3. Read some bad reviews on people having problems with it (blue ring light flashing to red light) not long at all after they got it.

Welp...not even 30 days in and had issues with it to the point I have to send it back and it is broken. (Nothing got caught in it, none of that) I did a search online to find many people having the same issues.

If it was an isolated incident ... no biggy. It happens. But I'm sorry, for $150 for a pump, there should not be this many problems this early -- unacceptable. So for all you thinking of getting one, buyer beware. Do some research first.

Back to the jaebos ... hey they even make a compact one now as well!
After reading this post I remembered I have a Nero 3 in my tank that’s been unplugged for several months

plugger it back in and it’s working like a champ

I’m curious what AI customer service said about your particular incident

burton14e7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Nero 3 just died within the last couple weeks and I had it since launch. Mine was the loudest piece of hardware in my aquarium and I have 4 MP40s on the 75g display. I would have purchased something else, I use it in my sump to keep detritus from settling, but it's the only powerhead with a slim enough magnet that I could mount where I need it.

LAX Noob Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Bought a Nero 3 a month ago, stop running. Clean and reset, still doesn't work. Gonna try to reach out and see if they can fix it.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running 2x SLW-10's, 1x SLW-20 and 1x SLW-30 for 1-2 years, have only had to take them apart to clean a couple times and have never had any issues, knock on wood.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Nero 5 and don’t have the issues you’re experiencing, but will never purchase another one. The propeller gets stuck every 3-4 weeks. I literally would have to keep an eye on it and make sure there’s flow. The pump is less than 6 months old. I know pumps need maintenance but every 3-4 weeks seems short, at least compared to my MP40 which never gets stuck and I typically take that out to clean 3-4 months or longer.
I have three Nero 5s and never experienced the propeller getting stuck. It’s a strong good pump but maybe too strong for my tanks haha

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not Nero 3s, but I’ve had 2 Nero 5s for 2 years and they’ve stopped around a total of around 5 times prior to installing snail/fish guards. Only one stopped Nero after installing the guards from a snail that decided to dive head first into the front of Nero. It would be helpful if there was a text alert when the Nero does an emergency stop. Overall the Nero 5 has been a great powerhead.
Agreed, some snails are crazy it’s like they are asking to die haha

Back