OP
P

psphillies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with above. It doesn't make sense that you are experiencing an issue with all media and sponges removed from the system. Make sure that when the return pump is running, you have enough water in the third chamber prior to turning on the ATO. Once you have the right water level then turn the ATO on and it should maintain the level where your sensor is. That's all there is to it. If that still doesn't correct any issues then I have no clue what else it could be other than the weir getting clogged. But that should be very noticeable and if bad enough would make the tank overflow.
I am honestly leading towards the weir being clogged. If I have the ATO on the level in the 3rd chamber stays low and it just pumps the water and overflows the display. I will have the tank completely filled and it will manage to do this within hours.

I will send some pictures of water levels with the pump on, and off once I get home.

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won't need to see any photos with the pump off, that won't help. Turn (or keep) the pump on, then fill the third chamber up about 3/4 of the way with fresh salt water. Now the system should run without the water levels changing for a few minutes. After confirming this, you then can move the ATO sensor to that water level in your third chamber and turn on the ATO. The wier is in plain view so you should be able to tell right away if something is clogging it. Its a good idea to use a brush to remove any algae, etc. if present.

OP
OP
P

psphillies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won't need to see any photos with the pump off, that won't help. Turn (or keep) the pump on, then fill the third chamber up about 3/4 of the way with fresh salt water. Now the system should run without the water levels changing for a few minutes. After confirming this, you then can move the ATO sensor to that water level in your third chamber and turn on the ATO. The wier is in plain view so you should be able to tell right away if something is clogging it. Its a good idea to use a brush to remove any algae, etc. if present.
Here are some pictures of the water levels. I am running it with everything out of the sump area for the next day or two to see if that is the issue.
20200318_174612.jpg
20200318_174607.jpg
20200318_174612.jpg
20200318_174629.jpg

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That all looks fine. Now turn the ATO on with the sensor in the same chamber as the return pump.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also check to make sure nothing is blocking flow in the small channels where water flows from one chamber to the next. It's the only other thing I can think of that hasn't been mentioned.

It was sounding like your return pump had too much flow, but with it being stock I can't see that being the cause.

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water levels in the tank, first chamber, and second chamber appear to be normal. Let us know how it's running now. Agree with above to also check in between the baffle's of the rear chamber, forgot to mention that yesterdy. Could be some algae or other blockage.

OP
OP
P

psphillies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water levels in the tank, first chamber, and second chamber appear to be normal. Let us know how it's running now. Agree with above to also check in between the baffle's of the rear chamber, forgot to mention that yesterdy. Could be some algae or other blockage.
I ran it overnight with no issues and the ATO actually working. I will be starting to run the setup with just filter floss in the first chamber and nothing else. I am taking out the bio balls and sponges as they have been the main culprit (it seems). Would you recommend a refugium in the middle compartment or a skimmer?

OP
OP
P

psphillies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cleaned in between each one and with no media it ran well overnight for the first time! I will be starting to run the setup with just filter floss in the first chamber and nothing else. I am taking out the bio balls and sponges as they have been the main culprit (it seems). Would you recommend a refugium in the middle compartment or a skimmer?

OP
OP
P

psphillies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also check to make sure nothing is blocking flow in the small channels where water flows from one chamber to the next. It's the only other thing I can think of that hasn't been mentioned.

It was sounding like your return pump had too much flow, but with it being stock I can't see that being the cause.
I cleaned in between each one and with no media it ran well overnight for the first time! I will be starting to run the setup with just filter floss in the first chamber and nothing else. I am taking out the bio balls and sponges as they have been the main culprit (it seems). Would you recommend a refugium in the middle compartment or a skimmer?

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Glad to hear you found the culprit. Do you test your NO3 and PO4 parameters? If you don't have nutrient issues I would choose a skimmer over a refugium as it would help more on a nano tank. The refugium would be so limited in size that it would make a negligible difference. The skimmer would also help with oxygenation and gas exchange.

OP
OP
P

psphillies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Glad to hear you found the culprit. Do you test your NO3 and PO4 parameters? If you don't have nutrient issues I would choose a skimmer over a refugium as it would help more on a nano tank. The refugium would be so limited in size that it would make a negligible difference. The skimmer would also help with oxygenation and gas exchange.
I haven't tested them yet. I have just added some hardy corals and have been waiting to start dosing until everything with the tank is running smoothly.

I will be testing them next week along with dosing Seachem two part reef fusion. Also I will be on the look out for a cheap and used skimmer for my tank on CL :)

The total setup in the back will be filter floss on the InTank floss holder in chamber one, skimmer (soon) and 50w heater in chamber two and pump in chamber 3. Would you make any changes?
Thanks four your help!

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you didn't buy the floss holder yet I would buy the media tower for chamber 1. Then you could add bio media under the floss. Just don't use as much as you previously had so it doesn't impede the flow of the water.

I also would not dose reef fusion unless you test for Alk and Cal and notice you are under your target parameters. If not you could do more harm than good. For now I would just invest in a good PO4 (Hannah ULR) and NO3 (salifert) test kit and monitor your nutrient levels. You should not have to start dosing Alk and Cal for a while until the tank matures and any stoney coral starts growing a lot.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not use filter floss in my AIO because it clogs too quickly unless you change it every 1-2 days. I just have the entire drain chamber full of coarser sponge and clean it about once every week or two.

OP
OP
P

psphillies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you didn't buy the floss holder yet I would buy the media tower for chamber 1. Then you could add bio media under the floss. Just don't use as much as you previously had so it doesn't impede the flow of the water.

I also would not dose reef fusion unless you test for Alk and Cal and notice you are under your target parameters. If not you could do more harm than good. For now I would just invest in a good PO4 (Hannah ULR) and NO3 (salifert) test kit and monitor your nutrient levels. You should not have to start dosing Alk and Cal for a while until the tank matures and any stoney coral starts growing a lot.
Awesome. I'll wait to start dosing alk and cal then! I already bought the holder that is why I think ill toss some bio balls in the 2nd compartment. Just need to see if I can use floss now or have to put a sponge on the holder.

OP
OP
P

psphillies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not use filter floss in my AIO because it clogs too quickly unless you change it every 1-2 days. I just have the entire drain chamber full of coarser sponge and clean it about once every week or two.
I'll have to check to see if I can get away with frequent changes with the floss. If not i'll wind up doing the same thing as you. Thanks!

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like simplicity. I run a 3"x3" floss pad, 16 Marinepure 1.5" spheres, and an IceCap K1 Nano skimmer. I change the floss 2x a week, I clean the skimmer cup 2x a week. I scrape the glass a couple times a week. Simple, done.

Don't waste time with a refugium. So many things can go bad with that, and they can be a constant struggle.

OP
OP
P

psphillies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running any floss/socks? I have a similar issue with the WB 10 cube. After anywhere from 1-3 days my filter floss severely slows the overflow causing my ATO to run over filling the tank. It gets to the point that the display fills up to the brim and the rear chambers all fill to the top. I'm considering removing mechanical filtration to resolve this issue. I'm hesitant because then the rear chambers/media will fill up with detritus.
any solution to this issue? I have everything out except for a TINY amount of floss in chamber one and bio balls in chamber 2. Even with a small amount of floss it clogs in a day or two causing the exact issue you're having.

I don't get how this is possible due to many others having all sorts of media in their rear chambers with no problem.

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any solution to this issue? I have everything out except for a TINY amount of floss in chamber one and bio balls in chamber 2. Even with a small amount of floss it clogs in a day or two causing the exact issue you're having.

I don't get how this is possible due to many others having all sorts of media in their rear chambers with no problem.
Either keep up with changing the floss every day or two, switch to a cheaper thinner floss, or remove the floss all together. I recently switched to a thinner floss and it has helped a lot. I can go a few more days without changing it out now. Do you have a lot of detritus or algae in the tank that clogs the floss rather quickly?

FWIW my larger display tank I run with no floss or socks at all. But I do have a skimmer in that tank which helps remove those organics not removed mechanically.

OP
OP
P

psphillies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either keep up with changing the floss every day or two, switch to a cheaper thinner floss, or remove the floss all together. I recently switched to a thinner floss and it has helped a lot. I can go a few more days without changing it out now. Do you have a lot of detritus or algae in the tank that clogs the floss rather quickly?

FWIW my larger display tank I run with no floss or socks at all. But I do have a skimmer in that tank which helps remove those organics not removed mechanically.
I will be adding a skimmer soon to help with it. It builds up a sort of slimey coating in the floss after a while. Do you have a recommendation for the floss? or a recommendation on a cheap skimmer?

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn't be getting any slimy coating on the floss. Show a picture of the floss with the slime next time you change it out.

I'm using this floss

I'm currently using the IM nuvo skimmer but I would also look into the IceCap K1 Nano skimmer.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back