Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

What is your opinion on iodine concentration in Tropic Marin All-For-Reef?

• Iodine concentration in All-For-Reef could be higher

Votes: 68 81.0%
  • Iodine concentration in All-For-Reef is exactly right

Votes: 15 17.9%
  • Iodine concentration in All-For-Reef is rather on the high side

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Hans-Werner

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the nano probably gets ~20% vs 10% in the main tank.
Thanks! I have to say, I would have expected an even bigger differenc. 20 % vs. 10 % is still "in proportion" in my eyes, since nanos also have much higher surface-volume ratios. They have more surface in proportion to volume than bigger tanks.

casey012293

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Been dosing AFR for 8 months and just did an ICP showing 16. It would be great if it could keep it higher because I had no idea this was a limiting factor I was dealing with. I’d even done a home test the same time I took samples which showed I was spot on, so I learned the home test is not appropriate making it even tougher to maintain these levels if the additives aren’t sufficient.

OP
OP
Hans-Werner

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your feedback. We have doubled the iodine concentration in All-For-Reef.

I will continue trying to optimize iodine concentration further but in my expectation it will not fit 100 % for every reef aquarium since iodine consumption is not linked to calcium and alkalinity consumption. In tanks with lots of Caribbean gorgonians the iodine consumption is extremely high while calcium and alkalinity consumption is quite low. So there is no way around analysing and optimizing iodine dosage for the individual tank.

What is new to us and what is not adequately reflected in literature and discussions is the importance of iodine for good polyp extension, coral growth and coloration. We take this new finding very serious and I will continue my research on this subject. I am convinced that some progress can still be made in this field. Keep your eyes open! :)

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your feedback. We have doubled the iodine concentration in All-For-Reef.

I will continue trying to optimize iodine concentration further but in my expectation it will not fit 100 % for every reef aquarium since iodine consumption is not linked to calcium and alkalinity consumption. In tanks with lots of Caribbean gorgonians the iodine consumption is extremely high while calcium and alkalinity consumption is quite low. So there is no way around analysing and optimizing iodine dosage for the individual tank.

What is new to us and what is not adequately reflected in literature and discussions is the importance of iodine for good polyp extension, coral growth and coloration. We take this new finding very serious and I will continue my research on this subject. I am convinced that some progress can still be made in this field. Keep your eyes open! :)
Thank you ! but please as mentioned earlier by a another fellow hobbyist make sure to make that clear on the labelling so we don't over dose iodine .

OP
OP
Hans-Werner

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We expect that the updated formula will be available in shops in the US in March of next year. Products need several weeks to be shipped to and distributed in the US.

casey012293

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m wondering if there is a thread somewhere where people show off their tanks that they only use AFR in. I’m wanting to see if anyone has run into limitations on the uses for it like corals or size or whatever.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wondering if there is a thread somewhere where people show off their tanks that they only use AFR in. I’m wanting to see if anyone has run into limitations on the uses for it like corals or size or whatever.
I have absolutely no limitations , it’s just sometimes difficult to keep up with the demand and adjusting the dosage until you reach the desired results. But other than that it’s an excellent product. And I even was shocked when I received my icp results and found that all the trace elements are at perfect levels.

casey012293

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have absolutely no limitations , it’s just sometimes difficult to keep up with the demand and adjusting the dosage until you reach the desired results. But other than that it’s an excellent product. And I even was shocked when I received my icp results and found that all the trace elements are at perfect levels.
How long have you been using this product and what corals do you keep? Do you have a photo of your reef?

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how I missed this thread before. I've been using AFR in my softie/LPS nano tank for almost a year now. I've done several ICP tests, and iodine is consistently low (so is iron, actually). I adjust with Red Sea Coral Colors Iodine supplement as needed.

Having a little higher concentration in AFR would be great for me! I could go back to only having to worry about dosing one thing. :D

The only downside is that I have stocked up pretty good on the liquid, and I don't use a lot of it so it will take quite a while for me to use it up. Could I add something to the AFR that I already have to match your new numbers?

OP
OP
Hans-Werner

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I add something to the AFR that I already have to match your new numbers?
I am not sure, Tropic Marin A- Elements should work but I don't know if you have it. I am not familiar with products of other companies. I dosing iodine of another company works for you and you know the dosage you may continue with this until you can buy new and reworked product.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure, Tropic Marin A- Elements should work but I don't know if you have it. I am not familiar with products of other companies. I dosing iodine of another company works for you and you know the dosage you may continue with this until you can buy new and reworked product.

If I have 1L bottles of the current All for Reef, how much A Elements would I need to add to match your new All for Reef recipe?

Or would it be better to add a straight iodine supplement (no additional elements) to my "old recipe" All for Reef? That way I can boost iodine without potentially overdosing the other elements in Trace Elements A.

Last edited:

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would adding A-Elements to original AFR possibly overdose any of those elements already in AFR?

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This whole discussion has me thinking for this new 300 build I am doing. Tank just cycled this week Feb/2/2022. Have a 140 with all fish and took out all the corals moved into a 75 to do a 80 day QT with no fish. The 140 now has become a QT for the fish before they go into the 300.
The 300 is Tropic Marin Pro Reef salt.
So now this whole discussion has me wanting to do a comparison and add All For Reef to the 75 and see what happens....

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This whole discussion has me thinking for this new 300 build I am doing. Tank just cycled this week Feb/2/2022. Have a 140 with all fish and took out all the corals moved into a 75 to do a 80 day QT with no fish. The 140 now has become a QT for the fish before they go into the 300.
The 300 is Tropic Marin Pro Reef salt.
So now this whole discussion has me wanting to do a comparison and add All For Reef to the 75 and see what happens....

I've been using All for Reef in my tank for almost a year now. Once I got things dialed in and automated, my tank has literally EXPLODED. I only have softies (zoas and mushrooms) and LPS (torches, hammers, frogs, blasto, scoly, etc) and the growth on everything has been amazing.

I've done several ICP tests and iodine is really the only thing I've had to supplement outside of All for Reef. So this new recipe with more iodine should be perfect for my needs.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using All for Reef in my tank for almost a year now. Once I got things dialed in and automated, my tank has literally EXPLODED. I only have softies (zoas and mushrooms) and LPS (torches, hammers, frogs, blasto, scoly, etc) and the growth on everything has been amazing.

I've done several ICP tests and iodine is really the only thing I've had to supplement outside of All for Reef. So this new recipe with more iodine should be perfect for my needs.
Thanks for the info, yes we are mainly have or will have corals that you have and maybe just 2 or 3 sps..Wife loves ZOAS, her flower garden.as she says...

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back