All in One Checker and More, the HI83303 Aquaculture Photometer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Hanna Instruments

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to upgrade your Checker? Get our HI83303 Aquaculture Photometers

HI83303-Stirrer-Probe-Left_2100x2100_300_CMYK.jpg

The HI83303 doubles as a professional pH meter with its digital pH/temperature electrode input. Now one meter can be used for both photometric and pH measurements.

You can Log data, export results and the HI83303 has a much more advanced optical system compared to the Checkers.

HI12300- Digital PEI Body pH Electrode for Field Applications

HI181 Compact Magnetic Mini-Stirrers with Electrode Holder

The following table outlines the various parameters and methods programmed installed onto the HI83303 Aquaculture Photometer. For a complete list of reagents please see page 82 of the product manual found here. Note the parameters labeled Marine utilize the same reagents as the Marine Line of Checkers. Products labeled freshwater have not been tested/designed to be used in saltwater and thus accuracy is unknown if used in the reef tank. Nitrate will not be accurate as it uses the cadmium reduction method which inters with chloride particles at 100 ppm while saltwater has 19,000+ ppm chloride.
HI83303 Parameters.JPG

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking to upgrade your Checker? Get our HI83303 Aquaculture Photometers

HI83303-Stirrer-Probe-Left_2100x2100_300_CMYK.jpg

The HI83303 doubles as a professional pH meter with its digital pH/temperature electrode input. Now one meter can be used for both photometric and pH measurements.

You can Log data, export results and the HI83303 has a much more advanced optical system compared to the Checkers.

HI12300- Digital PEI Body pH Electrode for Field Applications

HI181 Compact Magnetic Mini-Stirrers with Electrode Holder

The following table outlines the various parameters and methods programmed installed onto the HI83303 Aquaculture Photometer. For a complete list of reagents please see page 82 of the product manual found here. Note the parameters labeled Marine utilize the same reagents as the Marine Line of Checkers. Products labeled freshwater have not been tested/designed to be used in saltwater and thus accuracy is unknown if used in the reef tank. Nitrate will not be accurate as it uses the cadmium reduction method which inters with chloride particles at 100 ppm while saltwater has 19,000+ ppm chloride.
HI83303 Parameters.JPG

Awesome!

Mindi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have Phos ULR, Alkalinity, Calcium, so this doesnt actually add any new functions if you have already bought the checkers... (except maybe pH..?) What a shame they cant find a way to overcome the chloride problem with measuring nitrates in saltwater...now that's what we REALLY want.

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait to see some real world reviews on this one!!

I have its cousin the HI 83300 & if i could turn back time wouldn't waste my money on it again.
Nitrate - as the rep says - no good for marine - with my tank it started reading 0 when no3 was at around 5ppm
Manganese (ese - not magnesium) - seems the same, no good for saltwater,tells me i'm out of range which its not vrs ICP.
Alk/ULR Po4 okay, haven't bothered with any others.

Plus features
It will display alkalinity as dkh or ppm
the log feature is kinda nice

Hanna Rep, those clear plastic insert caps....even removing them out of the bottle without destroying them was impossible for me & the black top caps supplied won't seal to watertight....i use red sea test kit caps to workaround.

I bought it because i was told by a large lfs that the nitrate did work accurately on the single nitrate meter & spent the extra on the larger more parameter meter expecting i could get manganese to register.

Last edited:

djbetterly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Hanna for a long time, and I really do trust them. Whenever I've had an issue they've had a solution. @Hanna Instruments is getting better and better at accommodating this market. I don't believe they would put this product in the forum if it didn't meet the needs of reefers. HOWEVER, I think it would be in their best interest to put a few of these in the hands of some reefers who can vouch for them. Buying one of these is significantly more expensive than buying the individual checkers. Granted you do get a few extra features, but are they worth it?

OP
OP
Hanna Instruments

Hanna Instruments

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Hanna for a long time, and I really do trust them. Whenever I've had an issue they've had a solution. @Hanna Instruments is getting better and better at accommodating this market. I don't believe they would put this product in the forum if it didn't meet the needs of reefers. HOWEVER, I think it would be in their best interest to put a few of these in the hands of some reefers who can vouch for them. Buying one of these is significantly more expensive than buying the individual checkers. Granted you do get a few extra features, but are they worth it?

Thanks for the support! We use the HI83303 bench-top photometer predominately for aquaculture operations, zoos, public aquariums and marine research facilities. The optical system is really much more advanced and the data logging feature is particularly useful for industries that have to report water quality data. A similar meter from a different company would cost on the upwards of $2,000. This meter was not designed for the hobbyists market, but we included the Chemical methods developed for the Marine Line of Checkers to create an industry specific bench top multi-parameter meter.

OP
OP
Hanna Instruments

Hanna Instruments

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have its cousin the HI 83300 & if i could turn back time wouldn't waste my money on it again.
Nitrate - as the rep says - no good for marine - with my tank it started reading 0 when no3 was at around 5ppm
Manganese (ese - not magnesium) - seems the same, no good for saltwater,tells me i'm out of range which its not vrs ICP.
Alk/ULR Po4 okay, haven't bothered with any others.

Plus features
It will display alkalinity as dkh or ppm
the log feature is kinda nice

Hanna Rep, those clear plastic insert caps....even removing them out of the bottle without destroying them was impossible for me & the black top caps supplied won't seal to watertight....i use red sea test kit caps to workaround.

I bought it because i was told by a large lfs that the nitrate did work accurately on the single nitrate meter & spent the extra on the larger more parameter meter expecting i could get manganese to register.

We apologize for the trouble you have experienced. The HI83300 encompasses most of the chemical photometric tests we use but realistically it is not the best meter for the reef hobbyists as most of the chemical methods it has pre-programmed are not tested/designed for saltwater. The HI83303 is significantly less expensive and a larger percentage of methods can work in saltwater compared to the HI83300.

As a company we only guarantee accuracy of saltwater tests for methods labeled Marine, as those chemical methods/Checkers are specifically designed for saltwater and utilize an absorbance curve for marine waters.

Did someone at Hanna tell you that manganese worked correctly? Did you buy this meter directly from us? Did you speak with a Hanna representative prior to buying this meter?

Please DM me and we will take care of your issue. I also want to know more about the issue regarding the caps/cuvettes.

Thank you for using Hanna.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 45 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.3%
Back