All my fish are hyperventilating and my corals are shrinking in HELP!

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This all seemed theoretical until I came across your pic of 4 fish and a shrimp laid out. How gut wrenching. I don't have any answers and can only guess at the cause, like most.
Maybe oxygen depletion from a sudden bacterial bloom, maybe tainted food? I don't know.

I do know it totally sucks. Glad to read it seems to have stopped.

OP
OP
ReefJake123

ReefJake123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This all seemed theoretical until I came across your pic of 4 fish and a shrimp laid out. How gut wrenching. I don't have any answers and can only guess at the cause, like most.
Maybe oxygen depletion from a sudden bacterial bloom, maybe tainted food? I don't know.

I do know it totally sucks. Glad to read it seems to have stopped.

Yeah it truly is unexplainable my conclusion is chemical warfare

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your right - normal candles can´t - but scented candles can. If you can smell anything - its a gas. A gas can always make its way into the water through the skimmer. Many organic gases are toxic in very low concentrations. In my world - air fresheners and scented candles is a big NO-NO when you have a reef tank with an effective skimmer.

I've heard this - I dont use scented candles or air fresheners. I can see where continuous use of air fresheners could be a problem. But - aren't these things designed to be 'non-toxic'? I mean people pets etc are breathing them. I have seen others say they used air fresheners with no problem. I guess I would think in a large tank it wouldn't make a difference but in a smaller tank perhaps. But - like 'stray voltage' it would be one of the things lower on my list.

(with stray voltage i.e. exposed wiring - is the problem the voltage - or the exposed metal?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But - aren't these things designed to be 'non-toxic'? I mean people pets etc are breathing them.

Designed for what? DDT was designed as the new "all solution pestecid" - we laugh to this today. I just wonder what my kids will laught about 30 years from now? My way to see it - if I can smell it - it will end up in the aquaria soner or later and I have not a single idea what will happens. There is toxic gases that do not smell but I can at least ban thing that smell. I do not think that any of these things is investigatet according ecotoxicity or long time human health either and they do not tell what chemicals they use.

In saltwater I always recommend a ground probe - it is safe for you and because of the fact that there is more salt in the water than in the fish will make the current not to go through the fish – it goes around the fish. In freshwater – however – I would not use a ground probe – because the current will go through the fish and can cause damage. I had this discussion a couple of years ago with @Brew12 and he convinced me that it is safe for the fish in saltwater. A ground probe and a earth leakage circuit breaker can safe life in saltwater if there is exposed wirings. As long as possible – I only use DC pumps but there are no low voltage DC heaters. Instead I use titan heaters – they have their own ground probe because they are grounded by themselves. You are right – stray voltage may not be dangerous for live stock but with exposed wires you will have electrolysis and probably get a lot of copper or aluminium out into the water

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it truly is unexplainable my conclusion is chemical warfare

IMO - I´m not sure of that but for the moment - it is as good as everything else.

One question that´s not been asked - did you have a sea apple in the aquarium? I put this question because this thread will be one that I always will link to in the future - I do not think that there is so many more stones to look under :) One more question - where do you live - is it snow melting there you live now? Or have you had heavy rains recently?

Sincerely Lasse

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Designed for what? DDT was designed as the new "all solution pestecid" - we laugh to this today. I just wonder what my kids will laught about 30 years from now? My way to see it - if I can smell it - it will end up in the aquaria soner or later and I have not a single idea what will happens. There is toxic gases that do not smell but I can at least ban thing that smell. I do not think that any of these things is investigatet according ecotoxicity or long time human health either and they do not tell what chemicals they use.

I agree completely - my point was only that on a list of things to worry about if your tank is crashing - burning a scented candle for a couple hours not likely to affect a larger tank. As I said - I avoid using chemicals around the tank - there was a recent thread about people using windex - which is basically ammonia, a little detergent and something else - I calculated out that if you put even an entire milliliter into a 400 liter aquarium - the amounts of the chemicals is so small that its trivial. Certainly I wouldn't want to breathe in 'windex' but it has to be more toxic than an air freshener? OH - and I'm not talking about the air fresheners that contain antibacterial chemicals (I dont know European brands - but here lysol comes to mind) - I mean some of the others.

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see where continuous use of air fresheners could be a problem. But - aren't these things designed to be 'non-toxic'? I mean people pets etc are breathing them.

Unfortunately, air fresheners including the plug in type are not safe. A lot of people do not understand how dangerous they can be and do not think twice about using them around their tanks (or family members).

Here are two articles that list some of the reasons why and all the chemicals that are in them (and there are dozens more articles out there).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/health...12/10/amp/chemical-air-scenting-products.aspx

https://www.naturallivingideas.com/plug-in-air-freshener-dangers/

Here are some of the chemicals listed in the second link:
“Harmful Chemicals Found in Air Fresheners
Air fresheners in both aerosol sprays and plug-ins contain a number of toxic chemicals that are dangerous to your pet's health and yours, including:

• Volatile organic compounds, or VOCs, such as acetone, ethanol, pinene and acetate, some of which are inherently toxic. When these substances react with the ozone in the air, they generate a range of secondary pollutants such as formaldehyde and ultrafine particles. Ultrafine particles have been linked to heart and lung disease and respiratory problems.

In fact, a 2011 news report released by the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (ACAAI) linked the VOCs in air fresheners with a 34 percent increase in health problems in people with asthma.1

• Formaldehyde is a known carcinogen that has been definitively linked to cancers of the nose and throat. It is also known to cause ongoing irritation of the throat and airways, potentially leading to secondary infection, nosebleeds, asthmaand other respiratory ailments.

• Naphthalene has been shown to cause inflammation, but as well as tissue damage and cancer in the lungs of rodents.

Phthalates are linked to a disruption in hormone levels, poor semen quality, birth defects and reproductive harm.

• 1,4-Dichlorobenzene (1,4-DCB) has been linked to compromised lung function and liver cancer in mice.”

C1FAF4EB-3185-488D-A8CF-0F4A37890B23.png

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, air fresheners including the plug in type are not safe. A lot of people do not understand how dangerous they can be and do not think twice about using them around their tanks (or family members).

Here are two articles that list some of the reasons why and all the chemicals that are in them (and there are dozens more articles out there).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/health...12/10/amp/chemical-air-scenting-products.aspx

Air fresheners in both aerosol sprays and plug-ins contain a number of toxic chemicals that are dangerous to your pet's health and yours, including:

• Volatile organic compounds, or VOCs, such as acetone, ethanol, pinene and acetate, some of which are inherently toxic. When these substances react with the ozone in the air, they generate a range of secondary pollutants such as formaldehyde and ultrafine particles. Ultrafine particles have been linked to heart and lung disease and respiratory problems.

In fact, a 2011 news report released by the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (ACAAI) linked the VOCs in air fresheners with a 34 percent increase in health problems in people with asthma.1

• Formaldehyde is a known carcinogen that has been definitively linked to cancers of the nose and throat. It is also known to cause ongoing irritation of the throat and airways, potentially leading to secondary infection, nosebleeds, asthmaand other respiratory ailments.

• Naphthalene has been shown to cause inflammation, but as well as tissue damage and cancer in the lungs of rodents.

Phthalates are linked to a disruption in hormone levels, poor semen quality, birth defects and reproductive harm.

• 1,4-Dichlorobenzene (1,4-DCB) has been linked to compromised lung function and liver cancer in mice.”

I can smell something :) :) :) :)

Thank You !!!!

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
ReefJake123

ReefJake123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO - I´m not sure of that but for the moment - it is as good as everything else.

One question that´s not been asked - did you have a sea apple in the aquarium? I put this question because this thread will be one that I always will link to in the future - I do not think that there is so many more stones to look under :) One more question - where do you live - is it snow melting there you live now? Or have you had heavy rains recently?

Sincerely Lasse

Actually the sea apple has been asked earlier and no I do not have a sea apple I live up in northern Illinois near Chicago snow has been melted for almost a month now rains are going to be bad next week all of next week is rain but not much other rain besides that

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

With all due respect - I disagree. I dont think there is a chemical in an air freshener - unless sprayed directly into the tank that would cause the problems the OP has. Or a scented candle - unless directly put in front of the intake of the skimmer. Its just my opinion. I think most of the things mentioning this are myth.

For example - what are the concentrations of formaldehyde that would cause cancer - or kill fish ? etc for all of the chemicals you mention. Then dissolve those chemicals in hundreds perhaps of gallons of water - then tell me how it could reach those concentrations?

That said - like I did before - I would assuredly not use them 24/7. And again - though its a possible issue - it would be on the lowest possible List of whats going on here.

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both but it’s fully down again
Should be, after the bio-load has been reduced drastically.
Such events can be prevented by installing a small bio-filter. This way the carrying capacity of the system can easily be adjusted to the bio-load, at all times.
Old fashion but safe reef keeping.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

BTW - you almost had me convinced until I read the second article that said 'essential oils' the newest craze are of course safe. Did they measure phthalates formaldehyde, etc in those chemicals?

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But Rest In Peace to my Coral beauty angelfish, yellow tang, blue tang, kole tang, pseudo chromis, diamond watchman goby, green chromis, blue damsel, longnose hawkfish, blood shrimp, and my cleaner shrimp these were amazing creatures and deserved more life time and I failed to give them that for this I will always remember as my biggest failure yet my best learning experience

I am so glad things are leveling out. Losses of any amount can be tough.

It bothered me you are called it your biggest failure. I do not see it like that. Not even close. You knew answers every step of the way, you answered questions sometimes multiple times. I cannot see at any point you failed. You did everything suggested as far as I saw. Also, it is never failures unless you just walk away. As long as you stick it out it is a learning experience. Best wishes never have to experience this again.

In saltwater I always recommend a ground probe - it is safe for you and because of the fact that there is more salt in the water than in the fish will make the current not to go through the fish – it goes around the fish. In freshwater – however – I would not use a ground probe – because the current will go through the fish and can cause damage. I had this discussion a couple of years ago with @Brew12 and he convinced me that it is safe for the fish in saltwater. A ground probe and a earth leakage circuit breaker can safe life in saltwater if there is exposed wirings. As long as possible – I only use DC pumps but there are no low voltage DC heaters. Instead I use titan heaters – they have their own ground probe because they are grounded by themselves. You are right – stray voltage may not be dangerous for live stock but with exposed wires you will have electrolysis and probably get a lot of copper or aluminium out into the water

Sincerely Lasse

This is a good area to hit upon. Aerosol, gases, smells are issues around sensitive animals including people. In addition to my reef I have a 10 year old macaw I raised hand feed from a naked bird. There is nothing that goes near his cage that could be scented or unscented that is not natural. They pick up things that we easily dismiss.

Man, It global warming and green houses gases introduced by the government to read or minds.:)

02CC910E-0F29-452E-92DC-DAED6AD3A614.gif

jonthn21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question for you. Do you bleach anything like your filter sock, filter media, ect.

I had the exact same problem. I bleach my canister filter. I forgot to add aquasafe one time - wiped out my tank..

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back