Amphidinium Dinoflagellate Treatment Methods

cedwards04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, no matter what, I would never advocate a drastic temperature change all at once. I like what you did. Let me know if it works out for you. The video I made makes it sound like everything disappeared in 24 hours but I meant one week. I went up on the temp over a 24 hour period and noticed recession within a day or two, and then gone within 7-10 days. I kept feeding 3-4 times per day during that time and I always scoop out excess food that the clowns don't eat.

So how many days have you stayed at 83f? Have you brought the temp back down since beating the dino's and they have stayed gone?

hankacrank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how many days have you stayed at 83f? Have you brought the temp back down since beating the dino's and they have stayed gone?
I'm still at 82.6F 3 weeks later. I'm not sure if I should lower it back or not. Everything is stable and happy.

Mark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tanks ran at 82 year round back when I ran metal halides. Nothing seemed to mind. I'm going to leave mine at 82 for a few weeks. But I'd like to go back to 78, if only to reduce heater usage.

cedwards04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'd Ike to be able to lower the temp back down eventually for power savings and evaporation. I'm going to give it a shot.

What are you using to verify exact temperature?

ApolloReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'd Ike to be able to lower the temp back down eventually for power savings and evaporation. I'm going to give it a shot.

I was using an Apex Neptune temperature sensor. My tank and house run hot, so for me it was just adjusting setpoint on my chiller.

Cooper 2020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you guys running full reefs with SPs and LPS etc and not seeing any negative effects from the temperature increase? I’ve just started raising mine.

cedwards04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't call mine a "full reef" as I only have 3 sps frags, 2 torches, and an acan mini colony. I'm going to raise the temp slowly and watch for signs of stress.

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut my lights to 65% of what they were, removed most of my sand, and increased the temp on my tank. Amphidinium Dinos finally gone. Please watch my video and let me know if you disagree and if I should modify the video:

Ive just shared. Your video on a facebook group for dinos... You may be on to something my friend. People are going to give it a try and report back.. one of the facebook users mentioned they had dino issue last year and for a while and it went away in november, they just checked seneye to check temp reading and sure enough it was running at 83

hankacrank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you guys running full reefs with SPs and LPS etc and not seeing any negative effects from the temperature increase? I’ve just started raising mine.
I'm running LPS including hammer, frogspawn and elegance. Although I just sold the elegance. Bounce mushroom and Ricordea, as well as zoas are all doing fine. In fact, LPS seems to have more extension.

It was pretty hot this past weekend in Chicago and I noticed the tank temp creeped up to 85 for most of midday on Sunday. Everything continued to look great. Just to clarify, I do not recommend testing any temps beyond 83. I haven't seen anyone on the reef boards maintaining their tanks that high.

Last edited:

hankacrank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I use a digital thermometer, but I have double-checked with a second digital thermometer a couple times to verify. I also used an analog thermometer to double-check...but IMO, I have discovered that two of the analog thermometers I've had are inaccurate.

Cooper 2020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running LPS including hammer, frogspawn and elegance. Although I just sold the elegance. Bounce mushroom and Ricordea, as well as zoas are all doing fine. In fact, LPS seems to have more extension.
Great thanks, it’s the Elegance I’ll keep a watch on in my system.

OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, for giggles I ramped up the temp slowly from the usual 78 to 82.5. First few days I didn't see much change. If anything the patches of resilient dino's looked to be happier. But around the 7 day mark, I went down to the basement to check on the tank and grab a beer from the beer fridge. And I suddenly realized all the Dino's were gone.
BOOM!

Just crank up the temp and give it time! I don't know why it worked

Oooooh, booy.
This is fascinating!

Got microscope pics or vids of the amphidinium? Either of you? (Or anyone else who elevates temp successfully?)

I'm trying to figure out how/why this might work.
3 ideas.
  • Elevating temp decreases oxygen capacity of water. This kind that stays bound to sand might actually suffer from oxygen depletion in the dark when it stays active but is not photosynthesizing. Some anecdotes that dinos hate low oxygen, but I'm pretty skeptical. Although it may better explain why me putting blobs of chaeto over the brown patches caused amphidinium to disappear. (At night, macroalgae consume O2 also.)
    Counterpoint: relative O2 solubility at 78 vs 83F is pretty small shift.
  • Though most dinos we see are tropical and don't respond to "seasons", some dinos including at least one kind of amphidinium we deal with, has seasonal pattern that might reflect its more common temperate habitat. Some of these kinds plateau and fade at the hottest part of summer.
    Counterpoint: that's thought to be from excessive light stress.
  • The metals / Iron availability angle. pH elevation changes the form and availability of metals that are needed such as Fe. A quick poke around makes it look like elevating temperature might have an effect in the same direction as pH increase maybe?
    Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 11.33.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 11.34.28 AM.png

source Oxidation kinetics of Fe in seawater - Millero
    So perhaps we are dealing with a bloom that has already plateaued due to scarce Fe etc, and then Temp is getting pushed up, that decreases(?) the Fe availability further.

Counterpoint: I may be completely misreading the effect the paper is describing. Maybe @Randy Holmes-Farley can weigh in.

hankacrank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooooh, booy.
This is fascinating!

Got microscope pics or vids of the amphidinium? Either of you? (Or anyone else who elevates temp successfully?)

3 ideas.
  • Elevating temp decreases oxygen capacity of water. This kind that stays bound to sand might actually suffer from oxygen depletion in the dark when it stays active but is not photosynthesizing. Some anecdotes that dinos hate low oxygen, but I'm pretty skeptical. Although it may better explain why me putting blobs of chaeto over the brown patches caused amphidinium to disappear. (At night, macroalgae consume O2 also.)
  • Though most dinos we see are tropical and don't respond to "seasons", some dinos including at least one kind of amphidinium we deal with, has seasonal pattern that might reflect its more common temperate habitat. Some of these kinds plateau and fade at the hottest part of summer.
  • The metals / Iron availability angle. pH elevation changes the form and availability of metals that are needed such as Fe. A quick poke around makes it look like elevating temperature might have an effect in the same direction as pH increase maybe?

So perhaps we are dealing with a bloom that has already plateaued due to scarce Fe etc, and then Temp is getting pushed up, that decreases(?) the Fe availability further.

Counterpoint: I may be completely misreading the effect the paper is describing. Maybe @Randy Holmes-Farley can weigh in.
Yes, I have detailed videos of the amphidinium in my youtube post here. All of your thoughts/theories are fantastic. I honestly didn't even have a hunch on what to do. I only knew that both of my tanks had the same dino problem for months, and then by fluke the second tank got rid of the problem without me changing anything about how I conducted business. Then I realized that that tank had been running much warmer at 83 degrees due to a faulty heater. So i thought, screw it, I'm gonna try it on the main tank. And voila! Champagne.

sh@rkB@it

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooooh, booy.
This is fascinating!

3 ideas.

This was a good read about the affects of higher reef temperature. One affect is an increase in bacteria reproduction. https://www.thesprucepets.com/reef-tank-temperatures-2924179

ApolloReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooooh, booy.
This is fascinating!

3 ideas.

Here were mine. Basically 2nd from the left, top row, on the chart from post #957
Dinos.PNG

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have detailed videos of the amphidinium in my youtube post here. All of your thoughts/theories are fantastic. I honestly didn't even have a hunch on what to do. I only knew that both of my tanks had the same dino problem for months, and then by fluke the second tank got rid of the problem without me changing anything about how I conducted business. Then I realized that that tank had been running much warmer at 83 degrees due to a faulty heater. So i thought, screw it, I'm gonna try it on the main tank. And voila! Champagne.

That's amazing.

OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
then by fluke the second tank got rid of the problem without me changing anything about how I conducted business. Then I realized that that tank had been running much warmer at 83 degrees due to a faulty heater. So i thought, screw it, I'm gonna try it on the main tank. And voila!
This is very cool!
Yes, I have detailed videos of the amphidinium in my youtube post here.
The cells focused on in that video are ciliates, though they might have some dinos in their stomach.

Here were mine.
These are prorocentrum, actually. (They are about ~5 times the size of the amphidinium cells in the first two pics of that image in post #957.)
Are you saying yours went away with elevating temp? They are probably trickier than amphidinium.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 36 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back