Amphidinium Dinoflagellate Treatment Methods

Waynefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing Hank!

I started at 78.5 F and have been raising 0.5 F per day. My temp range has been 80 to 80.5 F for the last 24 hours. At this temp range there has been a distinct reduction of the dinos on my sand bed. I have acans, sps, torches, hammers, ricordea. They're looking fine at this temp range.

I hope my bit of data can be useful to others.

Last edited:

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very cool!

The cells focused on in that video are ciliates, though they might have some dinos in their stomach.

These are prorocentrum, actually. (They are about ~5 times the size of the amphidinium cells in the first two pics of that image in post #957.)
Are you saying yours went away with elevating temp? They are probably trickier than amphidinium.

Taricha i think you should run tests increase temp and let us know what happens

OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After running the tank at 82.5 for a week and half and seeing all the Dino's vaporize, I've reduced my temp down to 80.5 out of curiousity to see if Dino's stay gone or creep back. So far so good. I may then leave that as my new normal temperature, rather than 78 degrees.

cedwards04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After running the tank at 82.5 for a week and half and seeing all the Dino's vaporize, I've reduced my temp down to 80.5 out of curiousity to see if Dino's stay gone or creep back. So far so good. I may then leave that as my new normal temperature, rather than 78 degrees.
Keep us posted. Ive slowly raised my temp. Im sitting at 82.5-83.0 as of this morning. Going to hold it here and see what happens.

Mark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep us posted. Ive slowly raised my temp. Im sitting at 82.5-83.0 as of this morning. Going to hold it here and see what happens.

Will do. Regarding your tank, I'm sure you read this already, but it took around a week after increasing the temp to see Dino's vaporize. Let us know how it goes! Hopefully the temp thing isn't Dino species specific or something.

cedwards04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I appreciate the heads up though. I did a really thorough vacuum of the sand, then dosed some 34% peroxide. It didn't kill them, but definitely knocked them down significantly. Hopefully this helps.

OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After running the tank at 82.5 for a week and half and seeing all the Dino's vaporize, I've reduced my temp down to 80.5 out of curiousity to see if Dino's stay gone or creep back
I looked through some of your posts and didn't see any microscope pics of the dinos. Do you have any?

Mark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked through some of your posts and didn't see any microscope pics of the dinos. Do you have any?

I don't unfortunately. It's ironic, I had a wicked microscope that I gave away during a Mary Kondo style purge at the house. So I have no idea what kind of Dino's I had. I can say that they disappeared at night, and their presence on sand/glass/corals increased as the day progressed.

JPK_Esquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, this isn’t a club I cared to join; nevertheless, here I am. Got my diagnosis this morning thanks to @taricha. Below is my video! I’m going to try this raise the temperature idea and also start siphoning the sand through a 5 micron filter sock. Will report back.

ApolloReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All, just to give an update, it took about 10 days to get rid of them and they have stayed gone using the raising temperature idea after having them over two months before any treatment. First, I got my nitrates and phosphates above zero while I slowly raised temperature to 82-83 degF. They started to recede at that point. When the progress slowed, I hit it with a 3 day blackout. A week later, no signs of them and the tank looks better than ever before. This is my experience with the temperature method, your mileage may vary. BTW, @taricha identified mine as prorocentrum so not sure if this applies to all types.

OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Prorocentrum are probably the most annoying. Almost the hardest to remove and also frequently toxic.

bobssecrtsn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@taricha

do you think these are Prorocentrum?

2B939A84-9418-45DC-A781-C86FDE1125DC.jpeg

JPK_Esquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on my results using the increased temp method. I began increasing the temp gradually 4 days ago, to where I am now holding between 82 and 83. I cannot tell much regression related to the Dinos, but maybe. However, I do have a pretty good amount of Cyano that has popped up. I am going to siphon the sand through a 5 micron filter sock later today and will treat the Cyano with Chemi-Clean, unless someone thinks otherwise.

Mark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on my results using the increased temp method. I began increasing the temp gradually 4 days ago, to where I am now holding between 82 and 83. I cannot tell much regression related to the Dinos, but maybe. However, I do have a pretty good amount of Cyano that has popped up. I am going to siphon the sand through a 5 micron filter sock later today and will treat the Cyano with Chemi-Clean, unless someone thinks otherwise.

Sounds fine, I'd still wait 7 days or more at 82F. I still had Dino's at the 4 day mark. I'd do the chemiclean during week 2, and keep the temps up. I think both Cyano and Dino's compete for top spot when your nutrients bottom out. When I treated Cyano with chemi-clean, Dino's took their place. If Dino's are dying, you could see Cyano coming back. I would check your nitrate and phosphates and ensure they are not bottomed out.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back