Amphidinium Dinoflagellate Treatment Methods

cedwards04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to give you a tip... and i guarantee it will get rid of your dinos.. just bare with me. I promise you this method i am going to share will get rid of it

Id love to hear it bc I'm a few days away from ripping all the sand out if this temp thing doesn't work. Im at day 7 and still no sign of them giving up. Sucks, seems everyone else that tried it had good results.

cedwards04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be sure my apex was reading accurately, I used my infrared temp gun to see what it says my temp is. Getting around 84f in the tank according to that, apex says around 83-83.5f. I feel confident the temp is where it needs to be.

20200514_193758.jpg Screenshot_20200514-193945_Chrome.jpg

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id love to hear it bc I'm a few days away from ripping all the sand out if this temp thing doesn't work. Im at day 7 and still no sign of them giving up. Sucks, seems everyone else that tried it had good results.

Do you know who julian sprung is? If not just google him.. you will see hes known as one of the masters lf reefkeeping. He was on a live stream and someone asked him about dinos.. he explained and advised how to get rid. I did it and guess what.. no dinos. I have tried everything imaginable was fighting dinos for 10 months. Silica dosing.. increasing nutrients hydrogen peroxide etc etc... nothing worked.. but his advice did.

Have you heard of him?

bobssecrtsn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was siphoning the sand daily, filtering the water through a sock, pumping it through a 25 watt pentair aquatics uv sterilizer, then returning it to the tank. I did that for a while. Sand would stay clear, but as soon as I stopped siphoning daily, they are back. There is just no way I can keep up daily siphoning.

so what is your regime of you daily tank cleaning ? Do you have abetter photo. I can’t tell which one you have, do you have fuge or anything ? Tell us about your filtration. Let’s help you beat this thing

Mark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on day 7. At day 6 (yesterday), they were getting really bad. I siphoned the sand, filtered through a sock, and put the water back in the tank. They are already showing back up again today. Im starting to lose confidence. They seem to be thrieving still. I see absolutely no signs of regression at all.

This is frustrating to hear. Do you happen to know which species of Dino?

cedwards04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so what is your regime of you daily tank cleaning ? Do you have abetter photo. I can’t tell which one you have, do you have fuge or anything ? Tell us about your filtration. Let’s help you beat this thing

What are you wanting a better photo of? I've tried so many different things since January I probably can't remember it all. I successfully beat dino's in a previous tank just by raising no3/po4 to 10ppm/0.1ppm and maintaining those levels while gha grew to out compete them. This worked in the other tank, although it did take a while and had the tank looking really ugly.

So this go around I began looking for a different method. Id also like to note here that this tank was setup in August 2019, so it's fairly new. It has had a 25watt uv sterilizer on it since it was first setup.

A little back story to how i got here. I battled with low nutrients since I set the tank up. I ended up having to dose neonitro and neophos to maintain levels above 0. I knew from my last tank that low to no nutrients were a recipe for dino's, so I was trying to avoid that. During this time, I had almost nothing for a clean up crew, and very little to no algae. As the tank aged a bit, I started getting some gha. I would manually remove and it kept coming back. I decided to give vibrant a try since it is so highly recommended for gha. In hindsight, I wish I had just ramped up my clean up crew... anyway, I began dosing vibrant once per week as directed on the bottle. The gha continued to spread. Many people assured me it would work, and to just give it time. Well about 10 weeks later, work sent me out of town for a week. When I came home, I had patches of dino's, my nutrients had bottomed out to 0, and gha had exploded in growth. The tank was probably 70% covered in gha. I found this rather odd since I beat dinos by letting gha grow before, but yet here I was with loads of gha and dinos at the same time.

At that point I decided to ditch the vibrant as it clearly was not killing my gha. I manually removed everything I could. Scrubbed the rocks with a toothbrush. Siphoned the sandbed, purchased a large clean up crew, and did a 5 day black out.

Between the black out and the clean up crew/manual removal, my gha vanished completely (and has remained gone to this day). The dinos returned the next day. I began blowing them daily with a turkey baster, trying to get them into the water column so that my uv sterilizer could take them out. This didn't work at all.

During this time, I ended up with a velvet outbreak and lost all of my fish.

I decided to try h2o2 dosing. I started with 3% from walmart. Dosed it at 3ml/10g every 12hrs. I did this for about a week with 0 results. Since there was no fish, I removed the handful of corals and placed them into qt. I then dosed 12ml/10g every 12hrs for 3 days. I had almost instant results. The dino's were almost completely gone, my skimmer was full of nasty brown skimmate, I felt really good about these results. So with no fish, and no coral, I wrapped the tank completely blacked out for the next 9 days, while I continued to dose the h2o2. When I unwrapped the tank, it was absolutely pristine. I monitored the tank over the next week and it remained perfect. I stayed on top of keeping nutrients levels in check. No3 5-10ppm, po4 at 0.04-0.08ppm. I was feeling very confident I had beat them. I transferred all my coral back over. But alas, around 13-14 days after unwrapping, I began to see them again.

I then decided to try the elegant corals dino regimen. This also seemed to work, yet again, around the 1.5-2wk mark after being dino free, they were back again.

I began siphoning the sand, filtering through 2 socks, and pumping the water through my uv sterilizer before putting it back into the tank. I did this every other day for about 2 weeks. They continue to show up 48hrs after siphoning.

So then I decided to try h2o2 again, but got 34% food grade instead of the regular stuff. I dosed 1ml/10g every 12hrs using that, and while it absolutely slows their growth, it has not killed them off. During this time I continued siphoning the sand, hoping that this would get them suspended into the water where the h2o2 would have a better chance at killing them. This has proven to be ineffective. The h2o2 appears to no longer affect them as it did before.

I then started using a long pipette to target them with h2o2 directly. This works for sure, but they seem to spread faster than I can target them. I can only put so much h2o2 into the tank before my corals get really stressed. I tried diluting the h2o2 in a small cup of tank water to give me more volume to work with, but then it is less effective.

That brought me to the tank temp method I am currently trying.

I will also note that i do have a fuge with chaeto in hopes that it would outcompete, it hasn't helped. I also have been dosing microbacter7 every single day for the last 4 months or so as well as microbacter clean. And I have dosed other bottled bacteria in hopes of outcompeting the dino's.

To be honest, I'm probably forgetting some stuff, and I may even have the order of some things crossed up, its hard to remember it all.

Through this time they have remained on my sandbed. They briefly went onto the rocks in one spot around a month ago. I spot treated that are with h2o2 and they have not left the sand since then.

Oh yeah I just remembered someone mentioned to me that straight ro/di will kill dinos, so I tried using a pipette and targeting them with ro/di, that didn't do anything either.

I am scared to try dinox as I hear lots of horror stories. Keeping that as a last resort. I really do not want to kill my coral.

cedwards04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know who julian sprung is? If not just google him.. you will see hes known as one of the masters lf reefkeeping. He was on a live stream and someone asked him about dinos.. he explained and advised how to get rid. I did it and guess what.. no dinos. I have tried everything imaginable was fighting dinos for 10 months. Silica dosing.. increasing nutrients hydrogen peroxide etc etc... nothing worked.. but his advice did.

Have you heard of him?
I googled him and can't find anything where he talks about his method. I found a few people saying what his method was, but oddly enough the methods were not the same, so I thought that was a little odd. Seems the one thing I saw that was consistent was raising alk, but it never said to what, just said raise it. I also saw something about raising ph, which I have already tried and forgot to mention. My ph runs 8.3-8.4 daily (co2 scrubber), I've used kalk to bump it up to 8.5-8.6 as I read that would kill them also, it didn't.

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you wanting a better photo of? I've tried so many different things since January I probably can't remember it all. I successfully beat dino's in a previous tank just by raising no3/po4 to 10ppm/0.1ppm and maintaining those levels while gha grew to out compete them. This worked in the other tank, although it did take a while and had the tank looking really ugly.

So this go around I began looking for a different method. Id also like to note here that this tank was setup in August 2019, so it's fairly new. It has had a 25watt uv sterilizer on it since it was first setup.

A little back story to how i got here. I battled with low nutrients since I set the tank up. I ended up having to dose neonitro and neophos to maintain levels above 0. I knew from my last tank that low to no nutrients were a recipe for dino's, so I was trying to avoid that. During this time, I had almost nothing for a clean up crew, and very little to no algae. As the tank aged a bit, I started getting some gha. I would manually remove and it kept coming back. I decided to give vibrant a try since it is so highly recommended for gha. In hindsight, I wish I had just ramped up my clean up crew... anyway, I began dosing vibrant once per week as directed on the bottle. The gha continued to spread. Many people assured me it would work, and to just give it time. Well about 10 weeks later, work sent me out of town for a week. When I came home, I had patches of dino's, my nutrients had bottomed out to 0, and gha had exploded in growth. The tank was probably 70% covered in gha. I found this rather odd since I beat dinos by letting gha grow before, but yet here I was with loads of gha and dinos at the same time.

At that point I decided to ditch the vibrant as it clearly was not killing my gha. I manually removed everything I could. Scrubbed the rocks with a toothbrush. Siphoned the sandbed, purchased a large clean up crew, and did a 5 day black out.

Between the black out and the clean up crew/manual removal, my gha vanished completely (and has remained gone to this day). The dinos returned the next day. I began blowing them daily with a turkey baster, trying to get them into the water column so that my uv sterilizer could take them out. This didn't work at all.

I decided to try h2o2 dosing. I started with 3% from walmart. Dosed it at 3ml/10g every 12hrs. I did this for about a week with 0 results. Since there was no fish, I removed the handful of corals and placed them into qt. I then dosed 12ml/10g every 12hrs for 3 days. I had almost instant results. The dino's were almost completely gone, my skimmer was full of nasty brown skimmate, I felt really good about these results. So with no fish, and no coral, I wrapped the tank completely blacked out for the next 9 days, while I continued to dose the h2o2. When I unwrapped the tank, it was absolutely pristine. I monitored the tank over the next week and it remained perfect. I stayed on top of keeping nutrients levels in check. No3 5-10ppm, po4 at 0.04-0.08ppm. I was feeling very confident I had beat them. I transferred all my coral back over. But alas, around 13-14 days after unwrapping, I began to see them again.

I then decided to try the elegant corals dino regimen. This also seemed to work, yet again, around the 1.5-2wk mark after being dino free, they were back again.

I began siphoning the sand, filtering through 2 socks, and pumping the water through my uv sterilizer before putting it back into the tank. I did this every other day for about 2 weeks. They continue to show up 48hrs after siphoning.

So then I decided to try h2o2 again, but got 34% food grade instead of the regular stuff. I dosed 1ml/10g every 12hrs using that, and while it absolutely slows their growth, it has not killed them off. During this time I continued siphoning the sand, hoping that this would get them suspended into the water where the h2o2 would have a better chance at killing them. This has proven to be ineffective. The h2o2 appears to no longer affect them as it did before.

I then started using a long pipette to target them with h2o2 directly. This works for sure, but they seem to spread faster than I can target them. I can only put so much h2o2 into the tank before my corals get really stressed. I tried diluting the h2o2 in a small cup of tank water to give me more volume to work with, but then it is less effective.

I will also note that i do have a fuge with chaeto in hopes that it would outcompete, it hasn't helped. I also have been dosing microbacter7 every single day for the last 4 months or so as well as microbacter clean. And I have dosed other bottled bacteria in hopes of outcompeting the dino's.

To be honest, I'm probably forgetting some stuff, and I may even have the order of some things crossed up, its hard to remember it all.

Through this time they have remained on my sandbed. They briefly went onto the rocks in one spot around a month ago. I spot treated that are with h2o2 and they have not left the sand since then.

Oh yeah I just remembered someone mentioned to me that straight ro/di will kill dinos, so I tried using a pipette and targeting them with ro/di, that didn't do anything either.

I am scared to try dinox as I hear lots of horror stories. Keeping that as a last resort. I really do not want to kill my coral.

Its funnynyou mention all this as this is exactly all the things i ddi over 10 months of fighting these... i dosed silicates too but nothing worked..

I have beat them now though

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I googled him and can't find anything where he talks about his method. I found a few people saying what his method was, but oddly enough the methods were not the same, so I thought that was a little odd. Seems the one thing I saw that was consistent was raising alk, but it never said to what, just said raise it. I also saw something about raising ph, which I have already tried and forgot to mention. My ph runs 8.3-8.4 daily (co2 scrubber), I've used kalk to bump it up to 8.5-8.6 as I read that would kill them also, it didn't.

Im going to upload a video on youtube it will be audio so listen and foollow what he says

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to upload a video on youtube it will be audio so listen and foollow what he says

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here guys everyone battling dinos listen to this video

cedwards04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant seem to spot them clearly, Have you ID them ?

Use this to ID them.

I'm going to say large cell amphidinium. But I'm no scientist. They are pretty active, and swim around in barrel rolls. I dont think they are small cell bc they do not go onto the rock really. Usually I only see them on the rock if some sand blows up there. They stay tight to the sandbed.

bobssecrtsn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to say large cell amphidinium. But I'm no scientist. They are pretty active, and swim around in barrel rolls. I dont think they are small cell bc they do not go onto the rock really. Usually I only see them on the rock if some sand blows up there. They stay tight to the sandbed.

I think your best bet is to remove all the sand bed rinse and put it back at a later time..

cedwards04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dino's still look to be expanding as of today. I also lost what was a completely healthy and happy yellow eye kole tang. I am abandoning this method. Im not going to continue to put my livestock at risk.

Cooper 2020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also abandoning this on day 9, no sign at all of them going. My alk consumption is dropping too much for my liking which tells me my tank in not happy. One noticeable change is cyno has decreased.

cedwards04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your best bet is to remove all the sand bed rinse and put it back at a later time..
I think this is my next course of action. As bad as I hate to remove the sand, I think im going to do it. I'm thinking about putting it in a plastic tub with saltwater/pump/heater and no light for a month while I dose beneficial bacteria to it. Then put my coral qt light over it and see if the dino's return. If I can go a month with no dino's and the light on, then I'll move it back to the display.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 47 26.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 44 24.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 42 23.2%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 44 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back