Amphidinium Dinoflagellate Treatment Methods

After months of fighting a devastating LCA outbreak, I’ve finally beat it. Lost both corals and fish, phosphates 0, nitrates less than 2ppm when it all started. Tried many of the suggestions in this thread with no success. Three treatments were key imo. 1. Dose nitrate (KNO3) to maintain 10ppm and phosphate (KH2PO4) 0.5ppm. 2. Remove sand bed to get rid of excess organics and LCA habitat. Will be adding new sand soon I hope. 3 through 41. Several months of various things that didn’t work. 42. The final breakthrough was Micronutrients. Apparently they bottomed out as well and favored the Dino’s. Within a week Dino’s started declining and gha became really green….

In the aftermath, had to reestablish the cuc and macro algae fuge, pods, etc, as well as deal with the resulting hair algae outbreak. But all are coming back into balance nicely. Basically treating it like a new tank in getting the biodiversity back.
It's quite astonishing how every tank is different. In my tank now LCA are banned, if I start to see some I dose silicates, do 3 days light blackout with skimmer on and fuge/dt lights off and it's gone for long time until I mess up with something again. Last time they appeared after an heater failure. Usually the first sign for me it's a reddish tint of the water/glass under white lights
 
Wish me luck going to war with Small Cell Dino’s. After going through 40 pages of this thread. I’m taking the following approach on my nano 1 1/2 old tank.
I let my nitrates bottom out while having high phos. being inexperienced half a year ago I didn’t know having 0 nitrate could cause this. As well as having a micro rock and dry sand. I’ve always used mb7 for my bacteria even when I started the tank. I guess it wasn’t diverse enough starting out with dry even after all this time dosing it

What I’ve done so far in my battle over the last month. Not much progress
-I’ve been dosing MB7 on the daily
-no more water changes
-stopped stirring sans and blowing rocks (it looks terrible)
- dose Neo Nitro every day (for some reason it is being consumed very quickly probably from the bacteria I’m adding. keeping it around 10-20)
Phos .1 and Nitates are around 15 at the moment

My next approach
-dose SpongeExcell to try to cause a diatom bloom. Looks to me that people have the most success with this method.
-Use AF source mud to add biodiversity in the tank
-Continue doing everything I’ve been doing keeping things stable and adding MB7
- I don’t have much of a clean up crew anymore because they all died from the toxins of the Dino’s. So I don’t plan on replacing them until I beat this
-Giving that UV sweeper a shot if it even helps a little bit knocking down the Dino’s and giving the diatoms the upper hand. It’s worth trying bringing the Uv to the sandbed since small cell Amphidinium aren’t suspended in the water column much
- I was going to manual remove using a 5 micron sock but I’m thinking the sweeper might have more success without disturbing the bacteria under the surface

Hopefully doing this for however long I’ll have a success story like some of the guys in this thread

IMG_7857.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Hopefully doing this for however long I’ll have a success story like some of the guys in this thread
Since I discovered this thread many years ago I used the silicate dosing+blackout method several times. Probably 5 or 6. This is what I learned: 1) Dinos appear everytime there is a major fluctuation in parameters. In a few cases I had malfunctions with the ATO, in another case it was caused by a tank transfer, etc. So when you basically disturb the "balance". 2) this method works every single time in my experience but it takes a couple of weeks an the blackout is a necessary step
 
Thanks for advice. Since making this post I’m around 85% in the clear it’s still on the rock work but sand is almost completely gone. I’m dosing MB7 Microblift special blend PNS for bacteria and Silocates but I have yet to see any Diatoms even highly dosing the spongeExcel… the uv sweep does work but it’s impossible to maneuver in my nano with rock work so I stopped after a couple days. I plan on doing a black out just to kick them back and hopefully the bacteria completely take over.how long was your blackouts for?
 
Last edited:
Been fighting these dinos for a bit and noticed something I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere.

I have a notable increase in asternia starfish now. And I've noticed them on the dinos. They're on dinos that are smothering other algae so I'm not sure if they're feeding on the dinos or the algae underneath.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is is there any other reports of asternia starfish eating dinos? I'm wondering if perhaps they're an unexpected ally.

The starfish population started increasing rapidly about a week after the dinos started migrating from the sand to the rocks.

Seems like the dinos are loosing ground to diatoms on the sand, but now they're on the rocks. ID'd to be sure and still amp dinos on the rocks, not a second variety..

It's possible the starfish are just replacing the snails I lost though. Man this has been rough on my cuc(most of my astrea and cerith snails have kicked the bucket, all of the turbo snails are gone too. About 50% of the cowries died... The nassarius snails, conch, & urchin are holding on though.)
 
just noticed some tiny bubbles and brown starting to gather on the parts of the live rock that protrude. Took a small sample to the microscope and it appears to be the A species dinoflagellate. There’s not many.. although that can change very quickly. I was carobon dosing for a week and have now stopped. I don’t notice any on the sand at all. The other thing I noticed, may not be related, is that my goniopora, zoanthids, and partially my acans are not extended or full. I noticed that the copepods, amphipods, and brittle stars were all out and waving arms around on the rock like they were taking advantage of a dinoflagellate feast..
I have a couple types of macro algae in the refugium that are growing quickly and well.
I feels like I could be in an ok spot as long as I treat this the right way.. what suggestions for a tank that has plenty of macro algae, microfauna, corals are generally happy, and I’m not seeing the Dino’s on my sand..
could just stopping the carbon dosing be enough? It seems like my tank has everything in place to eat it or out compete the dinoflagellates.
 
Hi, I am after some advice. This tank has been running since January. Its only a small 90 litre nano with a few fish. I am tempted to drain it and start again as I don't know how I ended up in this mess! I believe it is large cell but I am not 100%. I don't have any corals so I suppose I could use Dino X if that is even worth it I am not sure! Take a look at these images and let me know what you think:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aJGnjsMa9LPePH5w8
 
Hi, I am after some advice. This tank has been running since January. Its only a small 90 litre nano with a few fish. I am tempted to drain it and start again as I don't know how I ended up in this mess! I believe it is large cell but I am not 100%. I don't have any corals so I suppose I could use Dino X if that is even worth it I am not sure! Take a look at these images and let me know what you think:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aJGnjsMa9LPePH5w8
Hmmm considering it’s a new tank, it could just be the early ugly phase. Do they have bubbles or any closer pics of it?
 
Hmmm considering it’s a new tank, it could just be the early ugly phase. Do they have bubbles or any closer pics of it?
Hi, thank you for your reply. Have you clicked the link and viewed the microscope images. It's definitely Dino. Not really sure where to go from here...
 
Hi, thank you for your reply. Have you clicked the link and viewed the microscope images. It's definitely Dino. Not really sure where to go from here...
Ahh I see. You’re right. Definitely Dino. What are your nitrates and phosphates? They need to be balanced at a good ratio.
 
Phosphate was 0 or very low. I have been dosing and it is currently at 0.05 and nitrates are 15.
Nice, keep levels above 0 diligently. Do you have a
UV you can put in the display? Even something cheap is fine. Then try and blow it off
The rocks/sand as much as you can. Might take consistent work but this worked for me after a week or two.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 14.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 11 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new