Andre's Reef Moonshiners Lagoon

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, many may know me already due to the Reef Moonshiner's, Hobby related articles and Videos etc.
I was asked to document my Lagoon Tank build somewhat, which is used actually to break down my current 300DD in order to restart it at some point or get replaced with another one, time will tell. Reason I break down the existing tank is that I need to remodel my office and the tank has to go and move anyways to a different spot. So a temporary tank for that task is the best solution so I do not do things in too much of a rush. Enough with the boring details. Here is the current tank and build thread for anyone interested.

As a temporary tank system, which allows me to start fresh somewhat and select my most favorite corals, it's also a very interesting and somewhat different to run a Lagoon tank.
As well the interest on Lagoon tanks is recently gaining a lot of interest in the community, and to be honest I love the idea of a larger Lagoon afterwards, rather than a large normal shaped rectangled tank.

Dirty summary of the Gameplan is to quickly cycle the new tank for a few days the "Andre way" and then load it all up with corals.
As usual, all this happens within a week or so. For now, I'm waiting for all the equipment to arrive to finalize the build and plumbing.
This Lagoon will have to run independent of the existing tank, to avoid any Aptaisia in this tank, I will not reuse anything from the existing tank either.
Reef Moonshiners method will be applied from the beginning to ensure a smooth start.

Here some sneak peak pictures, of the tank when it arrived with a quick check if I have gotten enough shelf rock for the setup.

The tank is a Neptunian Cube setup, with a however XL Sump variance.
Already love the tank and engineered features. Sump is a beast and well engineered.

Right now I'm finishing the flooring where this Lagoon will be installed in the office, also waiting for more equipment to arrive.
Then I can do the first round of installation of "stuff" to start filling it up ;-)
Very exited.

Here one of the 2 Jebao Crosswave 180's. Will see how they work out in the shallow, biggest Jebao you can get.
I run 2 of these but smaller in my main display since a while, performing very well and robust as well as dead silent.

I have Salt, Powermodule, Tropic Eden Sand, Shelf rock, Oversized pumps, Powerfilter setup and Chaeto , Skimmer, Siporax Pond, Bioballs, Socks, as well as Potato Vodka and tons of Biodigest to startup at least.
Lots of Equipment still needed and not much room down there will require a second cabinet to house the Carx, Dosing, and Controls stuff.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PSXefholic, Not sure all your coral will fit in here. LOL. U going to start fragging and selling some frag packs?
No, definitely not !!!! Hence I'm cutting and selling plenty of frags, and larger corals don't like to be rehomed, so I cut most back to smaller/medium colony size and weed out some stuff.

1606272102909.png

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do these jebaos compare with the 150's?

I have to clean mine once per month.
I feel these types of pumps need generally some routine cleanup due to the nature of how they are build. Very tight designed flowpaths and lot of rotation and surrounding flow is a great place for algae to grow.

Hence I decided for the big versions which I can run at lower speeds to accomplish the flow I need.
And when then more flow is needed due to growth and buildup on pump parts, I can just ramp up the power.

The 150's I clean like every 7-8 months.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Andre, do you have a list of available coral? I'm currently working on an upgrade and would like some more sticks.
Yes Sir, selling really cheap packs right now since I need to reduce corals to move into the Lagoon, for now to reseed the next tank after remodeling is complete.

PM me and I will send you the list, however I can only do local porch pickups in Houston, I have no more shipping supplies at the house anymore.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does your powerfilter set up look like?
It's a mix of a ECOplus633 along with 2 Aquaclear modified cartridges filled with the Sera fleece (half layered), in the Lagoon it will likely go into the sump and not in the DT, but I will see. Pictures to follow when ready, have bought new equipment for the Lagoon tank.

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really wishing my tank was ready for coral, because I would be happy to drive to Houston. You have an amazing tank.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really wishing my tank was ready for coral, because I would be happy to drive to Houston. You have an amazing tank.
Thank you!
Follow this thread, you may get some inspiration on getting your tank ready!
I’m planning to maybe locate the tank today on its final spot, filling and cycle it over the weekend, getting a Triton test done for the water chemistry adjustments and start loading it up with Corals sometime next week.
Depends how well the cycle works, and how fast I can cut and glue corals .........

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little bit of an issue on the Lagoon tank turned out to may delay tje l start :-(
Experts are coming to look at the tank on the weekend first.

In the meantime I leak test the sump and may cycle tank in the sump ........ really wanna start the biology to get up to speed quickly and if the tank need replacement then I can use that time for this.

Back