Anemone a good choice??

1fastrock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone Im looking for some advice whether or not to get an anemone. I was at my LFS this past week and they really tried to steer me away from getting one. They said that it was a good possibility the the anemone would move around the tank likely killing my other corals. Is this something I should consider? I currently have some zoas, a clam, and a hammer coral with three clown fish and would hate to lose any of them.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

TankLife86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone Im looking for some advice whether or not to get an anemone. I was at my LFS this past week and they really tried to steer me away from getting one. They said that it was a good possibility the the anemone would move around the tank likely killing my other corals. Is this something I should consider? I currently have some zoas, a clam, and a hammer coral with three clown fish and would hate to lose any of them.

Hey man,

I hate to tell you but your LFS is full ****! I have had RBTAs in my tank with all sorts of corals and zoas. Here is a pic of like 10 of my anemones in my 40breeder with other corals. Dont let them steer you away from what you want in your tank lol.
20181005_153232.jpeg

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need more info, tank size, time running, gear/params, type of clowns, but generally speaking if an LFS that is in business to make money is swaying you away, probably giving appropriate advice.

BTA's wander, that's a fact, and climbing all over rockwork they will kill what's in their path.

A sand dwelling anemone is often a good choice for a mixed reef

Also, 3 clowns can be problematic when they mature and pair up FYI, one pair is usually best

OP
OP

1fastrock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I didn't give much info. It is a 37 gallon tank that has been up for almost a year now. All my other corals seem to be doing really and have really taken off in the tank. The lighting I have is a current usa led that has a ramp timer that is supposed to be good for soft corals. My parameters are
temp: 78
salinity: 1.024
ph: 8.2
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, in that size of tank again I think your LFS is correct.
Personally knowing the buffer space needed even if it did not wander would limit coral so much it might as well just be a nem specific tank.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might have to end up moving a ton of coral if you decide to get one or looking into sand dwelling nems

ccoffel81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

666904c0f946af498a7ef8cee430776b.jpg
My Aurora is 12” I have to leave a 12” buffer around it so I can “catch” it before it goes to far.

Dysprosium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 clownfish is a bad number of clownfish by the way, it's typically 2 clowns or 10+, intermediate numbers typical turn into 2 clownfish the hard way...

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not aware myself of a definitive number on minimal count, but I will add relative success long term would be all from same clutch, but I agree, 3 is a crowd usually, I very rarely see that working out past maturity/pairing off

stAlphonzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every pack of clownfish has one female. When she dies, the dominant male becomes the female which is the desired role. Competition is in their nature. The best bet is usually 2, or as Dysprosium said, a harem where the competition is diffused among the group.

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had some coral hurt but not quite killed by wondering BTA's. The center piece coral in my tank is a Jack-o-Lantern lepto that's about 7 inches diameter. Every time my bta moves around the edges of the lepto suffer.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got back in town. No, not with that light. Search this forum for ALL of the people who have trouble or have asked about Current USA light and Nems, it doesn't end well. Also as mentioned 3 clowns will eventually be a problem.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 113 42.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 130 48.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 24 9.0%
Back