Anemones in QT

ReefLife_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those that observe new anemones in their QT before adding them to their DT, how long do you do so?

My 3 BTAs from @AquaSD looked really good on arrival, I floated them then drip acclimated and put them into my 10g QT. I had the QT light set to like 10% of normal settings, just so I could have some light to observe them as they settled into the QT. They all deflated and inflated a couple of times but then stayed inflated. This morning before the lights came on they were all inflated and looking healthy. Should I observe for a few more days or is it safe to say they are not going to need any kind of cipro treatment and can go back in the display. Mind you this is my first time putting them in QT first, my last two I just put them in my display right away and because I had to get one of them back out to treat only a few days after adding, I wanted to put them in QT first this time.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
anemone's are finicky. as long as your parameters are in line, you should be okay. give them some time to acclimate from the shipping stress. i had a CSB come in yesterday, stayed small but this morning was fully bubbled.

OP
OP
ReefLife_Guy

ReefLife_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anemone's are finicky. as long as your parameters are in line, you should be okay. give them some time to acclimate from the shipping stress. i had a CSB come in yesterday, stayed small but this morning was fully bubbled.
Yeah I figured 2-3 days is probably long enough for them to display signs of an infection, but thought I would ask those with more experience how long they would keep them in the QT before moving them over. The one sick one I had looked terrible when I received it, so these new ones are already off to a better start. Was dumb on my end to put that sickly one in the display looking the way it did, but definitely lesson learned.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i would say to be on the higher end of the "safe side", a week in QT should be more than enough. if these BTA's are showing no signs of illness, i would just observe for another day and decide to move them or not.

OP
OP
ReefLife_Guy

ReefLife_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would say to be on the higher end of the "safe side", a week in QT should be more than enough. if these BTA's are showing no signs of illness, i would just observe for another day and decide to move them or not.
Yeah I'm hesitant to keep them in there too long if they are looking great, just because it is only a 10g and don't want to introduce other stressors that come along with a less stable system.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back