Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank Currently:
1 two-spot goby
2 anemones
(+snails, hermits, & an emerald crab)

Tank Goals:
2 clowns
2 red firefish gobies (heard they need to be a pair?)
2 mandarin gobies
1 pistol shrimp
1 watchman goby
1 other shrimp? (sexy / fire?)

Pressing question - would an orchid dottyback be a predator here?

Anything popping out here as a potential problem? Anyone else I should consider?

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having 2 Mandarin Gobies is going to require a constant flow of pods for them to eat. I have a purple dottyback. I probably wouldn’t put him in the tank if I had the choice again. Very pretty fish but immediately tried yo be a bully. I introduced 3 Anthia’s and a tail spot. This made him really out numbered and has been great since but I feel like I got lucky.

OP
OP
hisuzeq

hisuzeq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you researched Two Spot Gobies?
I've read a LOT of conflicting information on them. He's been with me for over a month now, and seems extremely content. Just trying to get some more opinions before I add more roommates, as I'm quite fond of him and would like to ensure his continued happiness. Your thoughts?

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read a LOT of conflicting information on them. He's been with me for over a month now, and seems extremely content. Just trying to get some more opinions before I add more roommates, as I'm quite fond of him and would like to ensure his continued happiness. Your thoughts?
Ok you’ve already got one. Looks like he’s do ok. This biggest thing about them is getting them to eat. You don’t want any bully fish in tank with a two spot so I would probably hold up on the Dottyback ..

OP
OP
hisuzeq

hisuzeq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having 2 Mandarin Gobies is going to require a constant flow of pods for them to eat. I have a purple dottyback. I probably wouldn’t put him in the tank if I had the choice again. Very pretty fish but immediately tried yo be a bully. I introduced 3 Anthia’s and a tail spot. This made him really out numbered and has been great since but I feel like I got lucky.
Heard on the pods, so going to be patient on getting the mandarins. Thanks for sharing. Glad you got lucky, and I'll definitely proceed with caution on the dotty!

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love anemone shrimps, anemone crabs, bubblebee shrimp, Red cling crabs, Pom Pom crabs, sexy shrimps, and lots of inverts!
27F26C22-3EBD-4A29-A51C-AEF286988658.jpeg
85B2D04E-7FC3-463A-B2AD-E05072016263.jpeg
DB9A45FB-9CC0-4E6A-9A84-485FF27562AF.jpeg

OP
OP
hisuzeq

hisuzeq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second what @TnFishwater98 said about the Mandarins: They will need non-stop additions of pods to keep them alive. How big is this tank? Do you have a fuge or another way to cultivate pods that you can keep the DT constantly replenished?
No fuge yet, but it's on the to do list. Thinking of setting up and buying some "pods in a bottle" - any experience/luck with those? Mandarins will definitely come later as I want to make sure they're set up for success.
Tank is 30 gal. (Pic attached, you can see lil' two-spot Harold in the very bottom left.)

Attachments

• IMG_2907.png
    IMG_2907.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 53

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E96866ED-EAB0-435A-821B-28A1018C9FA4.jpeg
0B15F10E-49ED-4B6C-900B-9815F58437CA.jpeg

I have a ton of odd i n my tank but I just started “breeding” them by feeding them Phyto in a container with a air tube. I take our cups of Phyto and pods and dump in tank then add fresh water back to breeding chambers. Feed Phyto until water clears up. It gets too expensive buying pods by the bottle.

OP
OP
hisuzeq

hisuzeq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E96866ED-EAB0-435A-821B-28A1018C9FA4.jpeg
0B15F10E-49ED-4B6C-900B-9815F58437CA.jpeg

I have a ton of odd i n my tank but I just started “breeding” them by feeding them Phyto in a container with a air tube. I take our cups of Phyto and pods and dump in tank then add fresh water back to breeding chambers. Feed Phyto until water clears up. It gets too expensive buying pods by the bottle.
Awesome! Thanks!

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also don’t be intimidated about getting a mandarin. Need to know the size and how old your tank is but shouldn’t be hard to get enough pods in your tank for 1 mandarin. The green spot also eats flatworms so is good to have just in case.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta echo this. If given another opportunity, My orchid would not go in the tank. Both a bully to the flasher wrasses, and likes The Taste of snail from time to time.

@hisuzeq Depending on your ability to maintain a large population of pods, You may consider just one Mandarin and see how it does first. If you get a male first, you can add a smaller female after the fact if you think it's appropriate

Mandy's eat Constantly. One decent size could wipe out your population in that tank within a week or two without a safe breeding space. Even having a fuge, You may still have to supplement pods once a month which does get expensive quickly.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back