Any Compatibility Red Flags Here?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lost in the Sauce , took a pic of this the other day..I forgot exactly what your user name was but I knew it was close…LoL
693C6C32-56E9-4F98-915D-90307FE8B03A.jpeg
That's Awesome! I'm going to have to see if I can find it out here! Thanks for the shout out.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need this setup, help a guy out, lol How did you do it?
Easy…Just started last week so can’t tell you I have a perfect system only time will tell. Got two types of pods. Put some in my tanks. Then got two containers with spouts. Got one at container store the other I’m using a zero water pitcher. Put fresh saltwater in container. Let both pods and new saltwater get room temp. Add pods into each of their containers. Add Phyto until water is green. As they eat the water will clear up. That’s when you feed them more. Some places say they don’t need a airline to aerate the water but I did. Split two lines off a pump into each container. You do need to do “water changes”. I just take out of the spout and pour it into my tanks. This puts pods and a little Phyto into your system. Then I try and add the the same amount of new saltwater back into the containers that I took out. So far so good….
D8310423-45C2-4EE4-9A23-6A5D99614031.jpeg
4D655D88-C23D-49D0-960B-211202F30D51.jpeg
C84B2114-E68B-4E9B-BD7A-B9D7A467061F.jpeg
72B275A0-943F-477C-BA0A-7676C009BE49.jpeg

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy…Just started last week so can’t tell you I have a perfect system only time will tell. Got two types of pods. Put some in my tanks. Then got two containers with spouts. Got one at container store the other I’m using a zero water pitcher. Put fresh saltwater in container. Let both pods and new saltwater get room temp. Add pods into each of their containers. Add Phyto until water is green. As they eat the water will clear up. That’s when you feed them more. Some places say they don’t need a airline to aerate the water but I did. Split two lines off a pump into each container. You do need to do “water changes”. I just take out of the spout and pour it into my tanks. This puts pods and a little Phyto into your system. Then I try and add the the same amount of new saltwater back into the containers that I took out. So far so good….
D8310423-45C2-4EE4-9A23-6A5D99614031.jpeg
4D655D88-C23D-49D0-960B-211202F30D51.jpeg
C84B2114-E68B-4E9B-BD7A-B9D7A467061F.jpeg
72B275A0-943F-477C-BA0A-7676C009BE49.jpeg
Thanks for your help, I like the idea with those container's

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read a lot of things that say mandarins work best in pairs, so that's the only real reason I considered 2. If he can hang alone, I'm definitely fine with one!
I've had 1 mandarin in my 90g for years. Also have to echo some of the others here. You will need to restock pods monthly in a tank that size for a mandarin. Mine does nothing but hunt all day long. Also that 9 fish is too many. 5 or 6 would be max

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall this does sound like an awful lot of fish for a 30 gal especially with not much rock to hide in.

-Two spot and watchman goby are a no-go IMO they will probably fight. Two spot goby also has a big mouth and will probably eat sexy shrimp or small pistols (like a young alpheus randalli)

-The dottyback would potentially predate upon a sexy shrimp but larger shrimps should be fine.

-2 Mandarins is not really practical. 2 is tough in this system although if captive bred they will do better since they will eat prepared or frozen. Non-captive ones you will need to be buying pods a lot which is expensive or need a good size culture to pull from to keep them alive. Do you have the patience and commitment for that? I love reefing but I don't trust myself to be able to baby those fish and spend a fortune on live food for 10-15 years (which they can easily live to)

-2 firefish, 2 clowns, 2 mandarins, 2 gobies AND multiple shrimp is awfully crowded. I would just go 1 each or cross one or two off the list. Firefish don't need a pair although I think it makes them more charismatic.

OP
OP
hisuzeq

hisuzeq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall this does sound like an awful lot of fish for a 30 gal especially with not much rock to hide in.

-Two spot and watchman goby are a no-go IMO they will probably fight. Two spot goby also has a big mouth and will probably eat sexy shrimp or small pistols (like a young alpheus randalli)

-The dottyback would potentially predate upon a sexy shrimp but larger shrimps should be fine.

-2 Mandarins is not really practical. 2 is tough in this system although if captive bred they will do better since they will eat prepared or frozen. Non-captive ones you will need to be buying pods a lot which is expensive or need a good size culture to pull from to keep them alive. Do you have the patience and commitment for that? I love reefing but I don't trust myself to be able to baby those fish and spend a fortune on live food for 10-15 years (which they can easily live to)

-2 firefish, 2 clowns, 2 mandarins, 2 gobies AND multiple shrimp is awfully crowded. I would just go 1 each or cross one or two off the list. Firefish don't need a pair although I think it makes them more charismatic.
Appreciate it! Yeah, the "goals" list is made up of things that are on my radar. Purpose of post is to figure out what to knock off the list. Thanks for all of this! I'm happy to know I can hang with one mandarin. Dottyback and watchman are also probably not going to make the cut now that I've gotten a bunch of advice here. Thank you!!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back