anyone run gfo on there mixing stations?????

  • Thread starter Thread starter Troylee
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Joined
Jan 15, 2010
Messages
22,409
Reaction score
24,137
Location
Vegas baby!!!!
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have searched the net for awhile and noticed numerous people have a reactor full of gfo on the mixing stations....i know rodi prolly don't remove it all and tds wont pick up po4 levels..... it's something im considering and wandering if anyone here does it??????
 
I'm not sure it would do much. GFO depends on contact time to work hence the recirculating pump in an aquarium.
When we use it in drinking water systems to remove arsenic it is in large vessels with hundreds of cubic feet in a deep bed configuration. A quick once through probably is more a warm fuzzy feeling than anything else.
Unless your water utility specifically adds phosphates for corrosion control in the distribution system I wouldn't do anything drastic. if it does then maybe a recirculating loop system where you take water out of your Brute and recirculate it for several hours or a few days to get the best bang for the buck.
 
I think SunnyX runs GFO on new water before it goes in, or at least he did on his last rimless.
 
My definition of a mixing station is my 40B that I have plumbed in to mix new saltwater for doing a water change.
 
Mine is a Rubbermaid trash can on wheels with a couple pumps for circulation and some heaters for winter months. That and RO/DI water, salt and a refractometer.
 
Hey i did on my old station going to again here soon I ran two one for the rodi water and on on pre mixed saltwater just run the reactor like you would on your tank it actually helps a lot!
 
i would have a recirc pump on my saltwater can just in case the salt or water had any traces...."at least that's my thoughts..."
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 16 38.1%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new