Anyone use reef diaper

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably 3-5 days not really sure as I'm a lazy reef keeper and don't follow a set schedule.
How long were they in to get that dirty?
When I tried them, they never got that dirty (the socks do, in 1-2 days)…
Maybe they changed the material since I bought them when they were first announced.

Mperry622

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I switched to these after about 3 weeks of cleaning filter socks and I've had enough of it I would rather pay the 60 bucks for a 60 pack of these filters. I compared it up against the roller filter which is a bigger investment and then the rolls.. I definitely agree with dragon above that if you put a course sponge above it before these things last almost a week I'm only getting about 2 days

Dragon8736

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What floss and pads do u use?
I use these pond filters or for canister filters they come in rolls it last me a long time. They are more coarse but it does a have some floss at the bottom of it. It catches large particles mostly and then the floss in the cups catch the rest of the small pieces. Its lot cheaper this way for me than to buy socks and then to have more maintenance work to clean the socks. I change my floss and pads out once a week.

Pond Filter.jpg

Last edited:

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it takes mine about 3-4 days to get that dirty, the fact that they open up and balloon out gives them more surface area internally than a sock though, so doing an apples to apples comparison is difficult
I’m sure that I have my comparison pics somewhere… in day or 2, the socks are almost black, while after a week the diapers (ballooned out) are tan to light brown. IMO, they have removed almost nothing.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure that I have my comparison pics somewhere… in day or 2, the socks are almost black, while after a week the diapers (ballooned out) are tan to light brown. IMO, they have removed almost nothing.
Yes, I understand, and I am by no means saying that diapers are superior to socks. They're not, but, my nitrates aren't going up, my skimmer isn't needing to be emptied more often, and my water is just as clear as it was when using socks... So I can't say that I am disappointed in them. I too "feel" like they're pulling out less than socks did, because they're not clogging as fast, but the reality is, even if they're grabbing less fine particulates, that doesn't seem to affect anything (in my experience) so why does it matter?

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I decided to give reef diaper a try.....anyone know if sock silencer work with reef diaper I ordered the starter pack
based on how sock silencers work, they fit in the inner rim of the sock, I don't think they will, as this is significantly narrower of a neck and doesn't have an inner rim for the silencer to sit inside of... that said, they are quieter than when I use socks

OP
OP
Fredrxn

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
based on how sock silencers work, they fit in the inner rim of the sock, I don't think they will, as this is significantly narrower of a neck and doesn't have an inner rim for the silencer to sit inside of... that said, they are quieter than when I use socks
I'll let u guys know if they fit

Reef Diaper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I decided to give reef diaper a try.....anyone know if sock silencer work with reef diaper I ordered the starter pack
JNalley is correct. The inner diameter of the Reef Diaper is smaller and a standard silencer won't fit correctly. You may find that you don't need the silencer. The Reef Diaper has a large radius one the inside of the flange. This smoother entry tends to run quieter than a standard sock. Let me know if you have any other questions.

RusticsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use them and need to change every other day. I feed 5 - 6 times a day which is probably why. I will say that it definitely keeps my nitrates and phosphates down.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tuesday, while we were having this conversation, I decided to change back to a Reef Diaper (I was running a cup with Carbon to clear up some cloudiness in the water). Today, less than 48 hours later, here's what it looks like, and it was clogged...
20220623_095904.jpg

OP
OP
Fredrxn

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tuesday, while we were having this conversation, I decided to change back to a Reef Diaper (I was running a cup with Carbon to clear up some cloudiness in the water). Today, less than 48 hours later, here's what it looks like, and it was clogged...
20220623_095904.jpg
Yea there pulling some **** out

OP
OP
Fredrxn

Fredrxn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just received my reef diaper kit in the mail so far I am happy with it.... sock silencer still works just have to flip up side down....the seal between the sock holder and the reef diaper is really tight all water will be filtered...now let's see what it catches in 3 days...I will be useing one mesh sock then the reef diaper in place of my felt sock

Attachments

• 20220628_182530.jpg
    20220628_182530.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 82

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just received my reef diaper kit in the mail so far I am happy with it.... sock silencer still works just have to flip up side down....the seal between the sock holder and the reef diaper is really tight all water will be filtered...now let's see what it catches in 3 days...I will be useing one mesh sock then the reef diaper in place of my felt sock
Which sock silencer do you have? Got a link?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back