Anyone using Dr. Sochting's Oxydator

Nath514

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interested in trying an Oxydator out on my reef tank. I have a Fiji Cube 32 EXT with the sump probably looking at 30 gallons of water ( lots of rock ). I would like to minimize how often I need to refill and take advantage of the better lid the model A has. Can someone help me understand if an A with a single catalyst would work for 30 gallons and what would be the ideal concentration of H2O2.

Thanks,
Nathan

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interested in trying an Oxydator out on my reef tank. I have a Fiji Cube 32 EXT with the sump probably looking at 30 gallons of water ( lots of rock ). I would like to minimize how often I need to refill and take advantage of the better lid the model A has. Can someone help me understand if an A with a single catalyst would work for 30 gallons and what would be the ideal concentration of H2O2.

Thanks,
Nathan
Pulled this from it's description.
aquariums: 100-200 L, 1 catalyst, solution: 6%, operating time: 40 days, O2/day: 270 mg
aquariums: 100-200 L, 2 catalysts, solution: 6%, operating time: 20 days, O2/day: 540 mg

aquariums: 200-400 L, 2 catalysts, solution: 6%, operating time: 20 days, O2/day: 540 mg
aquariums: 200-400 L, 1 catalyst, solution: 12%, operating time: 20 days, O2/day: 1080 mg

aquariums: 400-800 L, 2 catalysts, solution: 12%, operating time: 10 days, O2/day: 2160 mg
I'm using a D model and never considered the A as a means to reduce maintenance. I dilute 12% down to about 7% and use a single catalyst. This will last me about 2 weeks.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my opinion as I can't back this up with orp readings, that is a big chunk of oxydator in that water volume, I would go one catalyst and 3 - 6 percent peroxide to start, watch nems and corals for adverse reactions.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulled this from it's description.

I'm using a D model and never considered the A as a means to reduce maintenance. I dilute 12% down to about 7% and use a single catalyst. This will last me about 2 weeks.
6% with 1 catalyst should be fine.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6% with 1 catalyst should be fine.
I agree. This would be a good place to start @Nath514. Maybe even the 3% if you want to be safe. I'll be curious to know how long you can go between refills with the model A. Please update if you go this route!

I bumped mine to 7% on the D because it better aligned with my maintenance schedule. The extra % bought me a little more time, so I wouldn't run dry before water change day.

Nath514

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. This would be a good place to start @Nath514. Maybe even the 3% if you want to be safe. I'll be curious to know how long you can go between refills with the model A. Please update if you go this route!

I bumped mine to 7% on the D because it better aligned with my maintenance schedule. The extra % bought me a little more time, so I wouldn't run dry before water change day.

Thanks for all the responses. The next problem is it doesn't seem like there is anywhere to get a size A right now in the US. If anyone knows a US seller that is in stock please let me know.

Nath514

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received my model A yesterday and dilluted some 18% H2O2 down to 6%. Using one catalyst for now and will be monitoring my corals. Right now after over a year of no algae and good stability I have a massive hair algae outbreak so hopefully this can be part of the solution.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received my model A yesterday and dilluted some 18% H2O2 down to 6%. Using one catalyst for now and will be monitoring my corals. Right now after over a year of no algae and good stability I have a massive hair algae outbreak so hopefully this can be part of the solution.
Do bare in mind it's as you say only part.

Nath514

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do bare in mind it's as you say only part.
Yep, I think the initial outbreak was from extra light from a window that had been closed in the past. Now I am doing daily manual removal, dosing vibrant weekly, feeding very sparsely and ensuring the filter floss is changed often. Hoping things will start to balance out again.

Nath514

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for those who have been using an Oxydator for a while. I have had mine up and running for about 2 weeks. The first week I could visibly see micro bubbles coming out of the ceramic ball on top. Now I don't really see anything coming out. Should I be able to easily see a continuous stream of bubbles?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for those who have been using an Oxydator for a while. I have had mine up and running for about 2 weeks. The first week I could visibly see micro bubbles coming out of the ceramic ball on top. Now I don't really see anything coming out. Should I be able to easily see a continuous stream of bubbles?

Normal behaviour. When first introduced you see the bubbles emerging I am not sure why refills dont produce similar, maybe.its because the aquarium water is already high in Oxygen so you don't get that initial fizz. However, Oxydators are self regulating so as long as the peroxide is being used up I wouldn't worry. To check it just remove after a few days and see how much peroxide has been used but I guarantee it will be a % used.
Also it will depend on the % of peroxide used along with the number of catalysts.

Nath514

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normal behaviour. When first introduced you see the bubbles emerging I am not sure why refills dont produce similar, maybe.its because the aquarium water is already high in Oxygen so you don't get that initial fizz. However, Oxydators are self regulating so as long as the peroxide is being used up I wouldn't worry. To check it just remove after a few days and see how much peroxide has been used but I guarantee it will be a % used.
Also it will depend on the % of peroxide used along with the number of catalysts.
Awesome, Thanks for the info. I will take a look today and in a couple and ensure things are working. Ended up going with 6% and 1 catalyst in my A size.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
couldnt find it but is there actually any effect of using an oxydator on overall aerobic or anaerobic bacteria colonization levels? @atoll maybe you might know

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
couldnt find it but is there actually any effect of using an oxydator on overall aerobic or anaerobic bacteria colonization levels? @atoll maybe you might know
Given the way the samples are taken - you would not see a difference. I'm not sure the places sampled would be the site of 'anaerobic' bacteria. But curiosity makes me ask - why did you ask?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just been wondering about bacterial diversity a lot lately, i recently started to dose pns pro bio and yellow sno so wanted to give the bacteria a chance to thrive

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
just been wondering about bacterial diversity a lot lately, i recently started to dose pns pro bio and yellow sno so wanted to give the bacteria a chance to thrive
I am not sure (maybe the company can answer) - that they get a good idea of anaerobic bacteria

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im in contact with the owner of the company rn so we will see what he thinks, he is also a biochemist, so he may give us some more insight into these oxydators as well

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The manufacturers make no reference to such as far as I am aware but I have never experienced any issues.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to oxygen - there is some different types of bacteria - shortly three types - obligate aerobic bacteria (it needs oxygen to live), faculitative aerobic/anaerobic bacteria (they can live both with oxygen and the lack of it) and obligate anaerobic bacteria (they can´t live in the present of oxygen)

An oxidator will rise the overall oxygen tension in an aquarium - therefore it will increase the amount of oxygen rich niches in the aquarium, hence favour obligate and faculitative aerobic bacteria to the detriment of obligate anaerobic bacteria.

It means that it will change the total environment in the aquarium to a more aerobic condition - more niches for obligate and faculitative aerobic bacteria - lesser niches for obligate anaerobic bacteria.

This is the overall difference between having an oxidator or not - IMO. The second effect of an oxidator - creation of active oxygen radicals that can kill bacteria and other living things may not differ between the different environmental bacteria groups - the active oxygen radicals will try to oxidize them all - the outcome of this depends on the amount of antioxidants that the various organisms have and can use as a defense tool.

Sincerely Lasse

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 48 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.4%
Back