• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Apex 6 Button Toggle Boxes $35

Status
Not open for further replies.

HM3105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

These boxes allow you to program your Apex to perform different actions using either the momentary push buttons or the toggle switches. For example, you could program the momentary push button to start feed mode or program the toggle switch to start maintenance mode or an emergency shut down. Programing the buttons is pretty easy but does require some knowledge of Apex programming. Before you get intimidated by the programming part, you might look around Google, YouTube or even the sub-forum for Apex right here on R2R. The programming itself for Apex is actually pretty straight forward so don't start off thinking it's too much. You can always PM me and I'll be glad to help with some basic info to get you going.

The 6 button option shown below plugs directly into the I/O port on the Apex (except Jr.), PM1, PM2, and PM3. It uses the same port as the Breakout Box.

The cords are ~6' long.

See post: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/apex-6-button-toggle-boxes-35.777716/post-8931227

Once I've exhausted the parts I have I'll be done making these.

Thanks for looking!
Apex boxes.jpg

Last edited:

Scubadoo4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I put a few of these together, seemed like a fun little project. They're $50 shipped.

Custom layouts available and a few different colors (black, grey, orange, red, fluorescent green or a combination thereof)

The cords are ~6' long.

They require programming in your Apex before they will do anything. There is a YouTube video that shows how to do it, it's pretty easy.

Thanks for looking!

Obviously toggles are on/off, are the 4 buttons 2-pair of on/off or single on/off each?

Reactions: KWT
OP
OP
HM3105

HM3105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously toggles are on/off, are the 4 buttons 2-pair of on/off or single on/off each?
They're momentary push buttons, each one is an on/off but they don't stay on/off. They'll read as "open" in Apex and when you push one it'll "close" for a moment. That "close" signal is what you use to tell Apex to do something.

For example, when the button is pushed start feed mode, turn blue lights on for 5 minutes, etc.

Scubadoo4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're momentary push buttons, each one is an on/off but they don't stay on/off. They'll read as "open" in Apex and when you push one it'll "close" for a moment. That "close" signal is what you use to tell Apex to do something.

For example, when the button is pushed start feed mode, turn blue lights on for 5 minutes, etc.
So they are a 'timed' switch, where you can program length of duration?

OP
OP
HM3105

HM3105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So they are a 'timed' switch, where you can program length of duration?
In either Fusion or the classic dashboard. The switch itself doesnt have a timer, you're just telling the Apex what to do when the button is pushed.

Scubadoo4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In either Fusion or the classic dashboard. The switch itself doesnt have a timer, you're just telling the Apex what to do when the button is pushed.
Can U make the buttons different colors instead of black?

Pete Luna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you add a pic of the guts to your post, like to see the wiring.

Thanks

OP
OP
HM3105

HM3105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If some one where fewer buttons that they could wire into a normal breakout box I can build that too.

So if you have a breakout box in use, maybe you just want to add a couple of switches for feed mode or water change mode. Lots of different ways to build these.

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If some one where fewer buttons that they could wire into a normal breakout box I can build that too.

So if you have a breakout box in use, maybe you just want to add a couple of switches for feed mode or water change mode. Lots of different ways to build these.

Looks really good! Do you have any photos of other configs you’ve built?

OP
OP
HM3105

HM3105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks really good! Do you have any photos of other configs you’ve built?
This is the first design, but they're all pretty straight forward. If you're looking for something in particular PM me and I'll put a design together.

The idea of making something that plugs into a BoB or even has BoB connections didn't really hit me till today so I haven't put anything together.

OP
OP
HM3105

HM3105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I like this combo more than the other at least with the orange and grey.

20201123_221120.jpg

ppatches24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im looking for this but for my Hydros control 4, It uses a GX-12 style 0-10v input. Any thoughts on this one working for that?

ppatches24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read in another thread that

"I mostly use the I/O port on the Apex for toggle or momentary push buttons. I DIY'd a few of them and was just trying to figure out if the Hydros are using a different connector or if it would require a complete rebuild. It sounds like the latter."

So nvm :)

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im looking for this but for my Hydros control 4, It uses a GX-12 style 0-10v input. Any thoughts on this one working for that?
Check Harry Singer Aquatics. He should be releasing one for the Hydros very soon.

OP
OP
HM3105

HM3105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read in another thread that

"I mostly use the I/O port on the Apex for toggle or momentary push buttons. I DIY'd a few of them and was just trying to figure out if the Hydros are using a different connector or if it would require a complete rebuild. It sounds like the latter."

So nvm :)

Yup, I'm going to build one for the Hydros but it won't be as large, I will probably use the 2 button option using one of the Sense ports vs. the I/O port.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back