Apex brain unit won't reset

punchy7080

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my apex is in the basement pretty far away from my router. I have to hit the reset pin several times a week to reconnect it. Went to do this the other night and the light will NOT change from orange (so won't reset/connect). Doesn't matter how long I hold the paper clip in there, nothing happens. I can power the unit down and it goes through some color changes when I first power it back on, but it doesn't connect to wi-fi and I still can't reset with paper clip. I contacted Neptune and they stated it's a hardware issue and will need physical intervention. In other words, it's toast and will have to be replaced. Of course I only now discovered the backup option since my unit is fried and don't have one ready. Just confirming it sounds like my base unit is toast and I'm going to have to manually reprogram everything to a new unit. Anyone disagree? I've searched high and low and don't see any repair procedures like you can DIY on the EB832. Any help is appreciated, otherwise I'll be using the used unit I was planning to sell when I get back home this week and copying/pasting all my settings (makes me sick to my stomach).

Thanks!

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried disconnecting it from your tank and just plugging it in closer to your WiFi to see if it will at least connect?
Any chance you damaged the reset button? Do you still feel it press in and release when you use the paperclip?

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my apex is in the basement pretty far away from my router. I have to hit the reset pin several times a week to reconnect it. Went to do this the other night and the light will NOT change from orange (so won't reset/connect). Doesn't matter how long I hold the paper clip in there, nothing happens. I can power the unit down and it goes through some color changes when I first power it back on, but it doesn't connect to wi-fi and I still can't reset with paper clip. I contacted Neptune and they stated it's a hardware issue and will need physical intervention. In other words, it's toast and will have to be replaced. Of course I only now discovered the backup option since my unit is fried and don't have one ready. Just confirming it sounds like my base unit is toast and I'm going to have to manually reprogram everything to a new unit. Anyone disagree? I've searched high and low and don't see any repair procedures like you can DIY on the EB832. Any help is appreciated, otherwise I'll be using the used unit I was planning to sell when I get back home this week and copying/pasting all my settings (makes me sick to my stomach).

Thanks!
Best guess is that the reset button worn out. Those are not really designed to withstand frequent use for too long.
If that's the case, your base unit is not really a toast. I'd connect it to a wired network. If for nothing else but to get the settings backed up and transferred. If you have a working display module and a network cable, chances are very good you will be able to at least get the config if not get it back into a working state.

OP
OP
punchy7080

punchy7080

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best guess is that the reset button worn out. Those are not really designed to withstand frequent use for too long.
If that's the case, your base unit is not really a toast. I'd connect it to a wired network. If for nothing else but to get the settings backed up and transferred. If you have a working display module and a network cable, chances are very good you will be able to at least get the config if not get it back into a working state.

Good tip, I’ll try that!

38bill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had sim problem when I moved my Apex to a basement sump. Added a cable to the router and it connected instantly.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back