Apex Controller Vs Neptune Energy Bar

BigTerp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm SLOWLY researching a new system I'm planning, which will be a 40B mixed reef with a 20L sump. I've been out of the hobby for over 10 years, so the changes/advancements while exciting are a bit overwhelming. I like the idea of the automation and monitoring capabilities of the Apex controllers, but am rather confused on what exactly they are capable of. Specifically the Apex Controller Base Unit and the EB832 Energy Bar. I've read the stickies at the top of this specific forum as well as browsed the Neptune forums. But it all seems to be more on how to set these systems up versus what each actually does.

With that said, I have a few questions....

- What is the EB832 capable of as a stand alone unit?
-What is the Apex Controller Base Unit capable of as a stand alone unit?
-What would I gain by having both?

The things that I, currently, believe I'd like to have automated and/or monitored is the following....

-Auto light cycle with ramping up/down (DT and Sump lights)
-Wavemaker/Pulse settings for powerheads (probably 2)
-ATO control w/monitoring to prevent sump overflow or emptying of ATO container to prevent killing the pump by running it dry
-Water level monitoring in sump to indicate clogs/leaks and the ability to shut of return pump to prevent flooding of the DT and/or sump based on sump water level.

My biggest reason for considering a controller of some sort is to detect and then prevent a flood. Everything else will be a bonus. I don't think I'm interested in things like auto dosing but am unsure if I want the ability to remotely monitor things like temp, pH, salinity, etc.

Is there anything I'm missing that anyone considers a must have automation and/or monitoring situation?

Thanks in advance!!!!

#apexusers

Last edited:

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Essentially the energy bar alone can do nothing that a regular power strip can't it has no brain or control. Only with the head unit do you gain any functionality.

To accomplish what you want in the Apex Ecosystem you would need an Apex Or Apex El complete kit with probes head unit and energy bar, you would also need an FMM module plus the correct number of water level sensors to monitor ATO and sump water levels and you need compatible circulation pumps.

This can get expensive and you are paying for things you don't need but it is still the cheapest route I can think of inside the Apex Ecosystem. I love my Apex but based on your needs I would look at the CoralVue hydros. In this ecosystem you would need a control XS starter kit 2 water level sensors and compatible power heads This should be 3rd to half the cost of the apex system based on your needs.

I have both controllers and both are great but based on your needs I think the Hydros is the better option for you.

OP
OP
BigTerp

BigTerp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Essentially the energy bar alone can do nothing that a regular power strip can't it has no brain or control. Only with the head unit do you gain any functionality.

To accomplish what you want in the Apex Ecosystem you would need an Apex Or Apex El complete kit with probes head unit and energy bar, you would also need an FMM module plus the correct number of water level sensors to monitor ATO and sump water levels and you need compatible circulation pumps.

This can get expensive and you are paying for things you don't need but it is still the cheapest route I can think of inside the Apex Ecosystem. I love my Apex but based on your needs I would look at the CoralVue hydros. In this ecosystem you would need a control XS starter kit 2 water level sensors and compatible power heads This should be 3rd to half the cost of the apex system based on your needs.

I have both controllers and both are great but based on your needs I think the Hydros is the better option for you.

Excellent. Thanks for the response!! I'll definitely check out the CoralVue.

Is the energy bar also a battery backup? I would like to have something that would keep important things running (return pump, heater, etc.) in the event of a power failure.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent. Thanks for the response!! I'll definitely check out the CoralVue.

Is the energy bar also a battery backup? I would like to have something that would keep important things running (return pump, heater, etc.) in the event of a power failure.
The eb832 is not a battery backup.

OP
OP
BigTerp

BigTerp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again for the responses. I didn't realize there were so many controller options. I've got some more research to do!!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The three most common ones are Neptune Apex, CoralVue Hydros, and GHL Profilux. I have only used the Apex and I really like it.
There is also some diy options like ReefPi

OP
OP
BigTerp

BigTerp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The three most common ones are Neptune Apex, CoralVue Hydros, and GHL Profilux. I have only used the Apex and I really like it.
There is also some diy options like ReefPi
Thanks!! I'll look into them all.

What all do you have setup with your Apex, out of curiosity?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based upon what you’re wanting to do the apex could easily accomplish them. You would have to get lights and pumps that can be controlled by the apex (through 0-10v, IoTa or the apex brand equipment that just works off of the 1link ports). For the monitoring of levels you could just use a breakout box (or make your own) and some basic float switches. Then you could setup the pumps to turn off based on switch inputs.

Im sure the other major controller brands can easily do all of this too, but I’m not familiar with them.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!! I'll look into them all.

What all do you have setup with your Apex, out of curiosity?
I have the full apex (not el version) and I use all of the included probes (temp, pH, salinity, and orp). I have two WAV pumps so I can control the output of my power heads. I have a trident and dos to monitor and automatically adjust my 2 part dosing. I use a LSM for moonlighting for the tank, and the PMK for my par sensor. Then I have one diy breakout box that monitors the water level in my sump, my ATO and my skimmate container. I also use the auto feeder.

Getting started with a Apex isn’t cheap, but it’s worth it in my opinion.

OP
OP
BigTerp

BigTerp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the full apex (not el version) and I use all of the included probes (temp, pH, salinity, and orp). I have two WAV pumps so I can control the output of my power heads. I have a trident and dos to monitor and automatically adjust my 2 part dosing. I use a LSM for moonlighting for the tank, and the PMK for my par sensor. Then I have one diy breakout box that monitors the water level in my sump, my ATO and my skimmate container. I also use the auto feeder.

Getting started with a Apex isn’t cheap, but it’s worth it in my opinion.
Thanks for the breakdown. I'll have to research the breakout boxes.

Agreed about the worth of a controller. I just need to compare them all, decide what I want to automate and monitor and then decide from there.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the breakdown. I'll have to research the breakout boxes.

Agreed about the worth of a controller. I just need to compare them all, decide what I want to automate and monitor and then decide from there.
The breakout box is just a adapter to connect 6 switch inputs into the controller. You can buy one from apex or with some very basic soldering you can easily make your own. I made my own so that I can use the type of wire connectors that I wanted.

OP
OP
BigTerp

BigTerp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The breakout box is just a adapter to connect 6 switch inputs into the controller. You can buy one from apex or with some very basic soldering you can easily make your own. I made my own so that I can use the type of wire connectors that I wanted.
Gotcha. I'm actually reading up on reef pi right now. Interesting stuff!!

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have used all three of them and currenlty run the Hydros. I would run far and run fast from their garbage hardware. I have nothing but issues and failures with Hydros. 3 Wifi bars dead and 2 XP8s failed in less than a week. Not to mention the constant wifi dropping and connection issues.

My Apex is going back on this tank as soon as I get the controller board done and set it all up. My advice when it comes to Neptune is to avoid the EB832 at all costs (get the EB8 instead), avoid the ATK, avoid the salinity probe, and avoid the auto feeder. Other than that, I am really starting to enjoy my Apex gear (after the Hydros mess.) Many of my components are 7 years old without a single failure to date. The User Inteface is 100x better than Hydros and the graphs are heads above. You can't do anything with the Hydros graphs except look at them. You can't compare them or anything to my knowledge.

You can get the Apex Value System and then sell the EB832 for $200-225 all day. Buy the EB8 (yes, you lose some functionailty but gain reliabilty ten fold) and you are good to go! Then add on as you see fit. For slightly less you can get the ApexEL but it will cost more overtime if you decide to start adding things on.

Yes, it is overwhelming unfortunately. None of these companies have done a good job making it simple IMO. $5 Amazon smart plugs come with better setup instructions LOL

OP
OP
BigTerp

BigTerp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used all three of them and currenlty run the Hydros. I would run far and run fast from their garbage hardware. I have nothing but issues and failures with Hydros. 3 Wifi bars dead and 2 XP8s failed in less than a week. Not to mention the constant wifi dropping and connection issues.

My Apex is going back on this tank as soon as I get the controller board done and set it all up. My advice when it comes to Neptune is to avoid the EB832 at all costs (get the EB8 instead), avoid the ATK, avoid the salinity probe, and avoid the auto feeder. Other than that, I am really starting to enjoy my Apex gear (after the Hydros mess.) Many of my components are 7 years old without a single failure to date. The User Inteface is 100x better than Hydros and the graphs are heads above. You can't do anything with the Hydros graphs except look at them. You can't compare them or anything to my knowledge.

You can get the Apex Value System and then sell the EB832 for $200-225 all day. Buy the EB8 (yes, you lose some functionailty but gain reliabilty ten fold) and you are good to go! Then add on as you see fit. For slightly less you can get the ApexEL but it will cost more overtime if you decide to start adding things on.

Yes, it is overwhelming unfortunately. None of these companies have done a good job making it simple IMO. $5 Amazon smart plugs come with better setup instructions LOL
Appreciate your sharing. You've run the reef pi software as well? What was your experience with that?

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

...your right :crying-face:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just add that the Neptune Energy Bar can't actually function (even as a power strip) without an Apex controller.

wishntoboutside

Snow flake
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have been very happy with my Hydros Controller for the last few years. so much simpler user interface and not built like a toy. I had a lot of failures with Apex in the past. My Hydros is bullet proof and now have it synced with my alkatronic and mastertronic so it is almost testing everything

solitude127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about GHL but Apex has an actual display if you like to take quick glance at the tank parameters. This can be accomplished with Hydros but you need a dedicated tablet or phone.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back