OP
Billldg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HeyI I switched to GHL too. Though I do still have my APEX running until I get the ion director.
LOL, I posted in your build thread or PM'd you, I believe, that I was sorry and did the switch.;Facepalm:p;Hilarious:cool:

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, I posted in your build thread or PM'd you, I believe, that I was sorry and did the switch.;Facepalm:p;Hilarious:cool:
Oh. I missed that. Did you mean you are sorry you switched to GHL?

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh. I missed that. Did you mean you are sorry you switched to GHL?
HECK NO!!! I am sorry that I possibly caused you to pause, and in such, being hypocritical myself when I said not to switch, when I did a few months after.

So far I love GHL!!!

Last edited:

mikeg18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HECK NO!!! I am sorry that I possibly caused you to pause, and in such, being hypocritical myself when I said not to switch, when I did a few months after.

So far I love GHL!!!
Glad to hear. Read this thread, very informative, thanks for the info. Keep it coming.

Just received my new tank. Was debating between Apex and GHL.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just something to think about. When we change all reagents, Apex sends a single calibration reagent to allow us to calibrate when we change all 3 reagents. This is very kind of Neptune, but, have you actually looked at and paid attention to the difference when calibrating...HMMM!!!

Below is the picture of the actual calibration reagent that was sent with the reagent box.

20210803_191342.jpg

My trident did a test between me adding the reagents and calibrating and I got 9.1 dkh, 474 cal, and 1419 mag. The sample tube was in the calibration fluid at the time as I was dong my normal 2 prime before calibration ritual.

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say you've turned me off Apex/Trident. I had one before and enjoyed it, cept for the reagents part. Didn't care for wasting half of it everytime it was time to change and the expense. However It still almost seems like you need to be good at coding and have alot of patience to get GHL setup and working perfectly. Think I'm going to go with Alkatronic/Mastertronic. Great info though!

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say you've turned me off Apex/Trident. I had one before and enjoyed it, cept for the reagents part. Didn't care for wasting half of it everytime it was time to change and the expense. However It still almost seems like you need to be good at coding and have alot of patience to get GHL setup and working perfectly. Think I'm going to go with Alkatronic/Mastertronic. Great info though!
That's the thing, this thread is not about trying to convince reefers to switch from Apex to GHL, or any other controller, it is simply to give a honest opinion of the difference between Apex and GHL. I will leave the rest to the reefers themselves. This is, actually, where my issue with @Bulk Reef Supply comes into play. I have always looked towards them as a honest way to compare different items of the same nature. I am not so sure that will happen now. Even if they are truly honest, can it be trusted as they are now merged with Neptune, when it comes to controllers and such?

Will it prevent me from buying the only items that BRS carries...NO...but will it prevent me from looking at their rating and comparison videos...GOOD CHANCE.

I will never talk bad about BRS as they have helped me and so many other reefers getting into this very hard hobby. That does not mean I will not try to talk against them to keep them on the honest and straight path. ;)

I was hoping that @Bulk Reef Supply would give a honest and genuine comparison between Apex and GHL, as they have far more resources and man power to do it than someone like me. NOW, this comparison I am doing means more to mean, as I can say it will be honest on ALL fronts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AND YES, I AM ASKING SOMEONE THAT HAS DEALT WITH THIS TYPE OF COMPARISON, THAT IS EXTREMELY RESPECTED IN THE REEFING HOBBY, HOW TO DO THIS TO KEEP IT NUETRAL AND HONEST!!! I am no different than any other human. I am passionate about certain products, and sometimes, loyal to a fault. The last part is in reference to my line of work...UGH!!! The point is, I have asked someone that has nothing to do with this side of the hobby, and yet is truly respected in the hobby, how to go about this comparison. I brought this up because I want anyone that sees this thread to feel comfortable in deciding on which controller to get, Apex or GHL, and feel confident in their decision.

I would add the Hydros, but someone will need to give me a loan...LOL!!! ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the thing, this thread is not about trying to convince reefers to switch from Apex to GHL, or any other controller, it is simply to give a honest opinion of the difference between Apex and GHL. I will leave the rest to the reefers themselves. This is, actually, where my issue with @Bulk Reef Supply comes into play. I have always looked towards them as a honest way to compare different items of the same nature. I am not so sure that will happen now. Even if they are truly honest, can it be trusted as they are now merged with Neptune, when it comes to controllers and such?

Will it prevent me from buying the only items that BRS carries...NO...but will it prevent me from looking at their rating and comparison videos...GOOD CHANCE.

I will never talk bad about BRS as they have helped me and so many other reefers getting into this very hard hobby. That does not mean I will not try to talk against them to keep them on the honest and straight path. ;)

I was hoping that @Bulk Reef Supply would give a honest and genuine comparison between Apex and GHL, as they have far more resources and man power to do it than someone like me. NOW, this comparison I am doing means more to mean, as I can say it will be honest on ALL fronts.
No I didn't take it like that. To try to convince me away from Apex, I was already looking at other options from previous experience as I said I hate the reagent system with Neptune. Expensive and waste half of them.

But the info on the GHL is really good. I can see I personally don't like the interface or the patience needed to set all this up. The software it seems is very lacking, that was the primary appeal of Apex, kinda to me its the comparsion between Iphone/Android. Iphone super easy User Interface (Apex), and Android being more customizable but more difficult (GHL).

So I take the third option and go Alkatronic or Mastertronic lol. Either way its a standalone unit like The Ion Director or KH Director which I like cause most of my equipment already has some type of controller itself, so whats the point of the Apex itself besides the PH probe. Just a waste of $700. If the Trident/DOS was standalone I'd be more inclined.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already know this is an issue with the Trident, but, I figured I would also add to it. I just did a 3 reagent change on my Trident, and, the ALK reagent was half full. I am getting tired of the difference in the reagent levels and throwing good reagent away because I had to change the other 2 regents, meaning Cal and Mag for none Apex Trident users. I was in line with those saying that it is necessary and it is worth it...UMMMM!!!!

As @dwair stated, the reagent waste is simply that, a waste. 1:1, 1:2, 1:4, it is simple...so why are we Trident users wasting reagent to simply buy more. Just something to think about. ;) :)

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I didn't take it like that. To try to convince me away from Apex, I was already looking at other options from previous experience as I said I hate the reagent system with Neptune. Expensive and waste half of them.

But the info on the GHL is really good. I can see I personally don't like the interface or the patience needed to set all this up. The software it seems is very lacking, that was the primary appeal of Apex, kinda to me its the comparsion between Iphone/Android. Iphone super easy User Interface (Apex), and Android being more customizable but more difficult (GHL).

So I take the third option and go Alkatronic or Mastertronic lol. Either way its a standalone unit like The Ion Director or KH Director which I like cause most of my equipment already has some type of controller itself, so whats the point of the Apex itself besides the PH probe. Just a waste of $700. If the Trident/DOS was standalone I'd be more inclined.
Again, that's the thing, GHL did approach me when they learned of my interest in converting. I said this before, AND, I will say this again to those that feel I am on GHL's payroll...LOL...I will give full disclosure, I am not. I wish I was as it would have saved me $3000+. The fact is GHL wants nothing more than to become better. That's the one thing GHL asked me when I started this thread. They asked me to be honest and let them know how to become better. That was enough for me to do the conversion. It happened in a day...BUT...them asking me to be honest was enough for me.

That being said...If you decide to go with the Alkatronic and Mastertonic then I truly hope you get what you are looking for, but, please start a thread on it. I simply want honesty when comparing different items. That's all GHL wants as well, thus my pull to them.

It was the IOND that really made me look at GHL.

Last edited:

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, that's the thing, GHL did approach me when they learned of my interest in converting. I said this before, AND, I will say this again to those that feel I am on GHL's payroll...LOL...I will give full disclosure, I am not. I wish I was as it would have saved me $3000+. The fact is GHL wants nothing more than to become better. That's the one thing GHL asked me when I started this thread. They asked me to be honest and let them know how to become better. That was enough for me to do the conversion. It happened in a day...BUT...them asking me to be honest was enough for me.

That being said...If you decide to go with the Alkatronic and Mastertonic then I truly hope you get what you are looking for, but, please start a thread on it. I simply want honesty when comparing different items. That's all GHL wants as well, thus my pull to them.
Oh I planned on it, this has been a tough decision as they are all expensive, so its not like I can try one, not like it and then move on to a different one. And Unfortunetly there just isn't enough info on the Ion Director right now. So if I went GHL it would be to get the KH Director.

But Yea I'm also indecided between getting just the Alkatronic, or getting the Mastertronic. But I will definitely start a thread once I make the decision. Also need time to get the funds!

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I planned on it, this has been a tough decision as they are all expensive, so its not like I can try one, not like it and then move on to a different one. And Unfortunetly there just isn't enough info on the Ion Director right now. So if I went GHL it would be to get the KH Director.

But Yea I'm also indecided between getting just the Alkatronic, or getting the Mastertronic. But I will definitely start a thread once I make the decision. Also need time to get the funds!
As you have seen, I HOPE, I have no issue telling the truth. I pre-ordered the IOND but was late in the process. I have talked with @Ditto and he says the IOND is the REAL DEAL. I would wait until some GHL users get the IOND and start to post on it before I pulled the trigger on anything else. If I get mine then I will be in full post mode. The whole point of this thread was to help other reefers that don't have the funds, to decide which is best for them from the get go. I am doing this conversion thread, and I make deceit money by todays standard, and it is still strapping me financially, so I hope you and everyone will see what I am trying to do. I am loyal to several faults, one being, trying to help others when they are not capable of doing so themselves. I want to help other reefers when deciding to take the leap and buy a controller. :)

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a khd yet? If so how's it working for you
I had the KHD from the start of the conversion. Initially, I had some issues with the PH probe, but was able to work it out and since then, it has been working perfectly. I had to go thru several steps to get the KHD working properly, but it has worked flawlessly since. I haven't had the time to compare it to the Trident and Hanna checker yet, as I have been swamped with work, but I plan to when work starts to slow down.

20210802_190921.jpg

Sorry, but the control cabinet is not done yet. I just wanted you to see that I am using a KHD.

LostSoul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the KHD from the start of the conversion. Initially, I had some issues with the PH probe, but was able to work it out and since then, it has been working perfectly. I had to go thru several steps to get the KHD working properly, but it has worked flawlessly since. I haven't had the time to compare it to the Trident and Hanna checker yet, as I have been swamped with work, but I plan to when work starts to slow down.

20210802_190921.jpg

Sorry, but the control cabinet is not done yet. I just wanted you to see that I am using a KHD.
Mine is going haywire for almost a year. Up and down up and down. Did uvjust replace the probenor did something else?

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered, what will be the first of many, flow sensors to plumb into my UV sterilizer. I do feel this is where GHL will stand out, when build quality and engineering comes into play. I have noticed that my Apex flow sensors are sensitive, to say the least, to cleaning the tank. They use a propeller that is prone to clogging up, getting dirty, and such. I notice that when I clean the tank the flow drops on my 3 Apex flow meters. I don't feel that the flow meters need to be cleaned every few months. When I install the GHL flow meter I will let you know and start the comparison.
I do prefer the GHL design and I am curious how the two will fair side by side. The GHL probes are sensitive to turbulent water, like coming off a 90 directly into or out of the probe.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do prefer the GHL design and I am curious how the two will fair side by side. The GHL probes are sensitive to turbulent water, like coming off a 90 directly into or out of the probe.
I have found that the Apex probes are far more sensitive to air bubbles than the GHL probes. That’s not to be said that the GHL probes aren’t resistant to them, just not as sensitive.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is going haywire for almost a year. Up and down up and down. Did uvjust replace the probenor did something else?
Are you referring to the KHD?

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know many don't want to believe it but I would be absolutely shocked to see BRS be unfair when talking about controllers. To be honest, they probably won't even do a direct comparison nor should they IMO. They should do exactly what they're doing with the lights now. Tell us about the features, the pros and cons, the right place each tool can be used and let the end user decide which system works best for them. Then those users can go to the video series showing you how to set each one up and get it working. Yes, those videos are coming but it will take time. Someone has to sit down and fully learn the system. The ins and outs, the language they use, etc...This will take a while plus shooting video for each.

I don't mean to take away from your thread Bill so I'll add this in and hope it's okay. I have Apex Jr, Apex ELMO, GHL Mitras, and Hydros Control 4. I was all on board to ditch Neptune for GHL. Then I was sent a list of about $5k in GHL items that would be needed to compare to my Apex. Major turn off but it can all be added slowly over time. So I bought the Mitras for my wife's tank and I won't touch another GHL product as long as I live. The light itself is fantastic! The software could not be any worse or more cumbersome. So I bought a Hydros for my wife's tank to test it out. The software blows away GHL and Neptune. Both could learn from CoralVue here and we'd all benefit. CoralVue also needs to get the wired power strips out ASAP because the WiFi strips are a major chink in the armor.

BRS owning Neptune can only be a positive for us. It will make every system better in the end.

Back