Apex conversion to GHL

mikeg18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your P4 units touch display slow to respond? Takes multiple attempts to move/choose options on the head unit. Frustrating to change parameters. Wondering if there was a trick to work it

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your P4 units touch display slow to respond? Takes multiple attempts to move/choose options on the head unit. Frustrating to change parameters. Wondering if there was a trick to work it

You can adjust the sensitivity of it.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far the Apex and GHL salinity probes are doing good and within 1/1000 of each other. I still need to add, roughly 2 more buckets of salt slurry to the mixing tank. This is only the first time doing the comparison, we will need to put several months on this before getting a good reading of the comparison.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added my second 5 gal bucket of saltwater slurry and I saw that the GHL conductivity probe reacted far faster than the Apex probe. The GHL probe went from 1.008 to 1.016 instantly while the Apex probe went from 12.6 to 14.8, which to compare is 1.008 to 1.011 in the exact same time period.

20 minutes later and the Apex salinity probe is at 15.9, or 1.012. The GHL probe is at 1.016. I am currently running my mixing pump, thus raising the temp tank and effecting the salinity.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am guessing that MyGHL is down currently. At least I can still monitor it thru GCC.

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very excited! I’ve been leaning GHL over Apex because of everything I read about build quality. Even if Apex has more support in the US. But I’m convinced GHL would be overkill for a nano and I’m better going with something smaller but I’m not sold on the Hydros.
Reading more about your GHL v Apex would def help cement some decisions for me.
I have an Apex and two DOS on my red sea max nano lol. I love it though. It's overkill, but I live in Manhattan so would rather deck out my nano than upgrade.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added another smaller batch of saltwater slurry to the mixing tank. So far both probes are reading pretty close to a refractometer. The GHL probe is at 1.022 while the Apex probe it reading 1.018. when compared to the refractometer the GHL is spot on at 1.022.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am noticing that when I am adding a few scoops of salt to my mixing station to finalize the salinity that the GHL probe reacts quicker that the Apex probe.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like the way the GHL flow meter responds vs the Apex flow meter. I will not do a side by side comparison of both. When I do the upgrade to my returns I will go with GHL flow meters. I do not have enough money and time to redo my returns if the GHL flow meters don't work out. I already have enough info, using 2 Apex flow meters on my current returns to give a comparison. It will be interesting when I tear down and replace my returns to look into the Apex flow meters to see what is influencing them. I had one on my UV sterilizer and like the way the GHL flow meter responded. It will not give me enough info on longevity, but, as the flow meter was up and running for a month or two. It will, however, give me a clue to how the reactivity of the flow meters are. When I do the retrofit of the my returns, and some time, will give me some info on longevity of the flow sensors and when they need to be cleaned. GHL do not using impellers, so I will have to, initially, give it to GHL. I will upgrade my returns from 1" to 1.25" PVC and change my pump from 2 Apex Cor 20's to 1 Abyzz a200.

So far, I will be sticking with GHL. I truly like the German engineering, it stands second to none. I also like to future possibilities and thinking of GHL. Things are coming in the future. ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not seeing much difference in the GHL salinity probe and the Apex probe in my mixing tank so far. They are both within .0008.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to pull a log on both salinity sensors on my mixing tank and I forgot to turn on the logging for my GHL salinity sensor...UGH!!! I have not seen much difference in either yet, but, this will take a few months and several batches of salt mix to see what happens down the road. The logging for my GHL sensor is on now though, LOL!!! Both calibrated I do see that the GHL salinity sensor is spot, at 35 ppm, while the Apex salinity sensor is slightly elevated at 36.7. Both are calibrated, and compared to a calibrated refractometer.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still digging the GHL interface and will hold on as long as needed to get a IOND. I understand reefers that ordered the IOND a few years ago complaining, but, it was ordered before the epidemic and unforeseen issues. Their is a cascading effect to everything related to the epidemic. Now its resources to create items needed for the IOND. I simply ask you to wait, as GHL will get them out to you as soon as possible, so please wait. You have to remember that the hold up of the IOND and the sensor is also holding up other projects that they want to make available to you. ;) :)

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received all of my GHL gear, trying to set up the P4 for the first time and GHL Dev never shows for any device after power cycling the P4 too many times to count. At this rate all of it will be going back, this was my fear with going to GHL and the complaints of sub-par software.

2 Iphone, MacBook, and Ipad never find the dev network

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received all of my GHL gear, trying to set up the P4 for the first time and GHL Dev never shows for any device after power cycling the P4 too many times to count. At this rate all of it will be going back, this was my fear with going to GHL and the complaints of sub-par software.

2 Iphone, MacBook, and Ipad never find the dev network
Have you looked at the videos yet?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 47 33.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back