apex jr vs apex vs reefkeeper lite?

xxoczukxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im starting a new build and im interested in a controller system. Due to the cost of an apex, i was considering a reefkeeper lite or an apex jr but i am honestly unsure of what the big differences are.

i know that the apex jr only has 4 outlets and only comes with a temp probe, but im not sure what functionality it loses compared (besides the extra outlets, wifi on one model, etc to the whole apex controller or apex with lab kit that are $800 and $550 respectively vs the $240 jr.

i know the reefkeeper lite has 4 outlets and a temp probe as well but what does the apex have that the rkl doesnt and vice versa? i know the apex needs some kind of programming what about the rkl?

What are your opinions?

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im starting a new build and im interested in a controller system. Due to the cost of an apex, i was considering a reefkeeper lite or an apex jr but i am honestly unsure of what the big differences are.

i know that the apex jr only has 4 outlets and only comes with a temp probe, but im not sure what functionality it loses compared (besides the extra outlets, wifi on one model, etc to the whole apex controller or apex with lab kit that are $800 and $550 respectively vs the $240 jr.

i know the reefkeeper lite has 4 outlets and a temp probe as well but what does the apex have that the rkl doesnt and vice versa? i know the apex needs some kind of programming what about the rkl?

What are your opinions?

I did the same thing when i started and ended up buying Apex Fusion. My poll showed no votes to Reef Keeper. I am very happy with Apex.
Apex programming and access are easier, Notification via text etc. With Reef Keeper you dont get that.
You can do advanced programming with Apex but not needed. I say APEX

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw I purchased a used APEX for 600$ from another enthusiast who had to shut his tank down. So there is scope for that too.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the Reef Keeper. I chose it specifically because it's not connected to the Internet. However, the Digital Aquatics support forum has stopped getting replies from employess. Digital Aquatics has stopped answering support requests from the sound of things too. As much as I dislike the Apex and as much as I love the Reef Keeper, if you're looking for an off-the-shelf unit, then Apex is probably the way to go.

My next controller will probably be a DIY. If I don't end up building something completely DIY with a Raspberry Pi and some relays, I will use Ranjib's reef-pi.

OP
OP
X

xxoczukxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the Reef Keeper. I chose it specifically because it's not connected to the Internet. However, the Digital Aquatics support forum has stopped getting replies from employess. Digital Aquatics has stopped answering support requests from the sound of things too. As much as I dislike the Apex and as much as I love the Reef Keeper, if you're looking for an off-the-shelf unit, then Apex is probably the way to go.

My next controller will probably be a DIY. If I don't end up building something completely DIY with a Raspberry Pi and some relays, I will use Ranjib's reef-pi.

hmm i definitely would want some tech support when possible so that is good info. thank you!

Spitty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a reef keeper lite on a 300 gallon system and had not one problem with it. I used 8 outlets with it, think I must have purchased a expansion box for the extra outlets. It was over 10 years ago but I do remember being very pleased with the units performance. It controlled lights,temp,calcium reactor, pumps.... not one complaint. The lack of support mentioned above would make me nervous.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cannot speak to the reefkeeper, but the Apex jr is fine for smaller systems. It's got a 7 modules limitation if memory serves.

OP
OP
X

xxoczukxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cannot speak to the reefkeeper, but the Apex jr is fine for smaller systems. It's got a 7 modules limitation if memory serves.
what are the important ones to have? ph, temp, conductivity? id probably get one for my return pump, my vortechs, lighting?

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are the important ones to have? ph, temp, conductivity? id probably get one for my return pump, my vortechs, lighting?
Auto top off, Daylight cycle (for kessil or blackbox), equipment control (8, return , power head , light, heater, ) , temperature (perhaps most important), ph (sps) .. wave makers , salinity (conductivity)

OP
OP
X

xxoczukxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Auto top off, Daylight cycle (for kessil or blackbox), equipment control (8, return , power head , light, heater, ) , temperature (perhaps most important), ph (sps) .. wave makers , salinity (conductivity)

i plan to use a tunze nano osmolator rather than the apex atk ato so that one should be ok. ill prob check out the daylight one (vdm) , return pump (fmm), grab a ph one (pm1), and the conductivity one (pm2).

do i need the vortech one? i supposed so because controlling it through the outlet wont provide too much control besides on/off?

how does the breakout box work in relation to ato's and integrating with the apex?

OP
OP
X

xxoczukxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just realized individual modules dont come with probes.... perhaps its cheaper just to buy the entire apex

Jeepguy242

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just sold my reefkeeper light and bought an apex classic

Far easier programming. Tons of support. And internet connectivity

I can turn my fuge light on from my phone if I want

Digital aquatics has stopped answering support calls and emails

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex Jr comes with the temperature probe; classic Apex comes with temp, ph and ORP (latter mostly useless though); new apex adds salinity. What modules you need depends on what you have. WXM to control Vortech pumps is essential IMO. Breakout box (buy the avast version) allows you to integrate switches.

OP
OP
X

xxoczukxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex Jr comes with the temperature probe; classic Apex comes with temp, ph and ORP (latter mostly useless though); new apex adds salinity. What modules you need depends on what you have. WXM to control Vortech pumps is essential IMO. Breakout box (buy the avast version) allows you to integrate switches.

so the classic has the functionality of the ph and orp module built in vs the jr with only temp?

its between wxm and a reeflink for the vortech tbh what does the wxm give that a reeflink would not, besides being part of one app for control?

and how does the breakout box work with a tunze nano osmolator?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, six to one, dunno

OP
OP
X

xxoczukxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, six to one, dunno
there are that many reeflink apps? O.O well id only be using it for vortech pumps so that would cut down on apps right?

and i found the answer. tunze osmolators have their own controller so basically you dont use them with apex

RedneckReefer68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you give me some pros and cons on it? and does it have a phone app as well?

Only con I can think of is no WiFi ... Pros everything the Apex can do for 150$ less than the classic. You get pH probe, 3 temp probes, 2 float switches, touch screen display, 4 dimming ports, network port, 8 outlet box. Remote uploading of code. the mobile app is actually web based now (see pic). There's already been code with for anything you can probably think of doing on it. A quick forum search will find it and a copy and paste in your script will load it. Roberto gives excellent customer service.

3f73fe7e24a1a90c9320f21425192576.jpg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 54.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
Back