Apex ph and kelk question

Anubisxii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so to preface all this I am new to apex and it's default settings as well as the advanced function of "coding" I was able to make a custom feed mode for my return pumps and wave makers. But I am still very new at this.

I am looking to have my apex turn on a power outlet when ph gets below a certain # and turn off when reaching another certain #. Like the temp function. So far I have it controlled via the ph preset but maybe I need to code it via advanced as I don't think it's working right. I'm sorry if this does not make total sense as I'm new to apex but would love to learn.

Screen shot below.

At the end of the day what I'm trying to accomplish is that when my pH goes under 7.8 it turns on my kelk doser and once it reaches 8.1 it turns it off and it should hopefully keep it within that range. I'll adjust the numbers to be more stable once I get it up and running but I'm just trying to test it out for now and see if I can make it work.

Thanks,

Screenshot_20201014-201759.png

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As above, but the first line should be "Set OFF", and you could do away with the if less then statement as the set command will turn it off when PH is above 7.8

You do not have to worry about capitols as the apex will correct them when updating.

OP
OP
Anubisxii

Anubisxii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome ty for the response. I will play with it this week and see how it works out. I know using kelk for PH is not the best solutions as it drives up other parameters but ill play with it and see.

Thanks

OP
OP
Anubisxii

Anubisxii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set OFF
Fallback OFF
If pH < 7.90 Then ON
If pH > 8.10 Then OFF

Ill give this a shot and adjust from there. Again thanks,

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't use limewater this way. Limewater increases alkalinity too. The pH boost eventually disappears, but the alkalinity does not. Your alkalinity will potentially shoot through the roof if you dose only based on pH.

If you want to safeguard your system by shutting of limewater if the pH gets too high, that's fine. But you should not dose limewater as if it was a pH-only additive. It is not.

OP
OP
Anubisxii

Anubisxii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't use limewater this way. Limewater increases alkalinity too. The pH boost eventually disappears, but the alkalinity does not. Your alkalinity will potentially shoot through the roof if you dose only based on pH.

If you want to safeguard your system by shutting of limewater if the pH gets too high, that's fine. But you should not dose limewater as if it was a pH-only additive. It is not.

I do know this and I appreciate you bringing it up. My alk, calcium, and ph are all low. I'm testing alk 2 times a day while I try this and adding very little at a time with a weak kelk solution. . I am just using this so I don't forget to unplug my 1.1 ml a min dosing pump when I do turn it on.

I have too much carbon dioxide in the house and we live in south Florida so just opening a window for a few hours is not an option during the summer. Its been an ongoing battle, I'm thinking to hooking up an airline outside to a skimmer to try and resolve by using fresh air. But that's another thing I'm trying to figure out.

I use red sea pro black bucket and alk goes in at 9.5-10 and within a few days the tank is at 8.0 alk. this is why I was using kalk, lfs said for ph just to use ph buffer but I'm not a fan of buffers.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back