Apparently eels aren't for me

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to a frag swap a few days ago, and got a pistol shrimp hoping he'd help my goby out.

I had** a small 6 inch snowflake eel in the tank. I figured he wouldn't try for anything much larger than him but I was wrong....he chomped on the pistol shrimp in nearly one bite. There one minute, gone the next.

Fast forward to today, and I'm feeding the rest of my fish in the tank. The eel tries to take a chunk out of my melanurus wrasse. The eel was fed first because I read it helps to avoid situations like that. Apparently not. The wrasse is nearly 4 inches long and probably 2 in circumference.

I had the lid off of the tank because of feeding. When I turned away, he decided to carpet surf....and my cat pounced it. Frankly, I was surprised my cat didn't get it bad. It died a quick death.

So moral of the story for me is once eels get a taste of something living....that's all she wrote.

It's sad I lost mine but at the end of the day it was a good lesson learned.

My advice:

Don't get an eel if you want snails, shrimp, or other inverts.

Don't even think about putting it with fish. I know this ones debatable, and people have had success but it's a no from me :/

corbzmorris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, snowflake eels are mainly an invertebrate feeder. Their teeth are structured for crushing the exoskeletons.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was likely not going after the fish, eels dont have great eye sight and in a feeding frenzy, while you are feeding the tank, it may look like that. I have fang tooth eels and seemingly will go to chomp down on a fish during a feeding frenzy, then not really chomp down, like a dog that mouths you if you understand that analogy. And dont get me wrong, eels are dangerous and need to be understood to keep them.

But it's good you found out that eels are not for you, and they are not for everyone.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back