Appetite Suppression in Possible Flukes?

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

I currently have a very small clown in qt, about 3/4 of an inch which I picked up yesterday. The qt went through a full cycle and there is no ammonia detectable through the API kit as well as the seachem badge. I have currently dosed copper power at about 1.5 and in the next 2-3 days I will ramp it up to 2.5. The clownfish was yawning multiple times and I saw its head twitch, so I dosed general cure along with plenty of aeration. Before the GC dose it ate about 3 pellets. How long does the appetite suppression last? I dosed one packet seeing as my qt is 10 gallons. #reefsquad

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen copper suppress appetite. It can last as long as the fish is in copper, but that was in fish more sensitive than clowns. I don't use General Cure, just Prazi, but I haven't seen that cause any issues. You might try some good frozen, or even live if you can get it.

That clown can handle Copper Power at 2.5 no problem. Give the general cure a few days, then dose again around day 6, if you want to get all the possible worms/eggs.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
While copper May, praziquantel will. Get your therapeutic level to 2.5 asap not over 3 days which will do more harm than good
Have your water checked at an LFS that does not use api kits which are notorious for false readings and see what they come up with
The badge is worse
As I often state, I will not rely on a $7 badge or $24 master kit to sustain a few hundred dollars in fish and coral

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3/4” is really small. I wish breeders would hold their fish a bit longer so that they are larger. Small fish are just more sensitive….
GC has metronidazole in it, plus prazi. Both of these can suppress appetites. I don’t see amine based coppers as much of an issue in this regard.
Jay

OP
OP
A

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3/4” is really small. I wish breeders would hold their fish a bit longer so that they are larger. Small fish are just more sensitive….
GC has metronidazole in it, plus prazi. Both of these can suppress appetites. I don’t see amine based coppers as much of an issue in this regard.
Jay
Yea, I've noticed that over the past 6-7 years the clowns at the fish store are coming in smaller and smaller. In your opinion, how much longer do you think I should wait before doing a wc to reduce the metro+prazi?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I've noticed that over the past 6-7 years the clowns at the fish store are coming in smaller and smaller. In your opinion, how much longer do you think I should wait before doing a wc to reduce the metro+prazi?
Prazi and metro both break down fairly rapidly (less than 3 days). If the water tests fine in other respects, you don't really need to do a water change.

Jay

OP
OP
A

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen copper suppress appetite. It can last as long as the fish is in copper, but that was in fish more sensitive than clowns. I don't use General Cure, just Prazi, but I haven't seen that cause any issues. You might try some good frozen, or even live if you can get it.

That clown can handle Copper Power at 2.5 no problem. Give the general cure a few days, then dose again around day 6, if you want to get all the possible worms/eggs.
I’ll be trying some frozen mysis tonight

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back