Aquarium fire

Ctownjlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I've been on these threads a while but unfortunately this is my first post. About a month ago I lost my tank to an electrical fire in my controller cabinet. Worst of all is I lost one of my dogs. I was pretty tidy with my electrical as I had made a controller board. Tank was up a year and a half never an issue. Went out to lunch on a Sunday and got a call from the neighbor. Our home and belongings are just about a total loss. It really hurts as I had so much time effort and love into my tank. Thousands of dollars in fish and coral gone in an instant. Other than knowing it came from my cabinet side of my red sea 525, everything was burned beyond recognition. I did run everything to my Apex. Other than my inkbird everything was a pretty small wattage pump for various reactors, WaveMaker and such. I'm so heartbroken over it all. Positive note my family is all ok and Insurance has been easy to work with. We will be out of our home for at least a year. I just can't stop thinking of what went wrong. I attached pics but the cabinet was not recent. I had a red sea doser and trident added since that pic. Be safe everyone.

20230423_171632.jpg 20230426_142457.jpg 20230426_160244.jpg Screenshot_20230520_103405_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20230520_113027_Gallery.jpg 20230331_213836.jpg 20230325_132209.jpg 20230421_151949.jpg 20230419_204358.jpg 20230419_204234.jpg 20230419_204239.jpg 20230419_204342.jpg 20230415_204218.jpg 20230415_203354.jpg

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH NO!!!

I am so glad you and your family is safe, and I’m so sorry about your dog and tank. This is so scary and sad.

Your tank was so pretty and your corals looked so colorful! You have great skills at reefing.

I hope you are doing okay. Thank you for sharing your story.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I've been on these threads a while but unfortunately this is my first post. About a month ago I lost my tank to an electrical fire in my controller cabinet. Worst of all is I lost one of my dogs. I was pretty tidy with my electrical as I had made a controller board. Tank was up a year and a half never an issue. Went out to lunch on a Sunday and got a call from the neighbor. Our home and belongings are just about a total loss. It really hurts as I had so much time effort and love into my tank. Thousands of dollars in fish and coral gone in an instant. Other than knowing it came from my cabinet side of my red sea 525, everything was burned beyond recognition. I did run everything to my Apex. Other than my inkbird everything was a pretty small wattage pump for various reactors, WaveMaker and such. I'm so heartbroken over it all. Positive note my family is all ok and Insurance has been easy to work with. We will be out of our home for at least a year. I just can't stop thinking of what went wrong. I attached pics but the cabinet was not recent. I had a red sea doser and trident added since that pic. Be safe everyone.

20230423_171632.jpg 20230426_142457.jpg 20230426_160244.jpg Screenshot_20230520_103405_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20230520_113027_Gallery.jpg 20230331_213836.jpg 20230325_132209.jpg 20230421_151949.jpg 20230419_204358.jpg 20230419_204234.jpg 20230419_204239.jpg 20230419_204342.jpg 20230415_204218.jpg 20230415_203354.jpg
That's terrible! I'm so sorry for your losses!

OP
OP
Ctownjlo

Ctownjlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH NO!!!

I am so glad you and your family is safe, and I’m so sorry about your dog and tank. This is so scary and sad.

Your tank was so pretty and your corals looked so colorful! You have great skills at reefing.

I hope you are doing okay. Thank you for sharing your story.
Thank you for the kind words. My favorite thing about the tank was how colorful it was.

wjm6449

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do yourself a favor. As you rebuild there’s a Reddit thread out there about homeowners insurance and how to make claims. As you rebuild they will try to replace your items, cheap as they can. You need to find receipts. Payments. PayPal. Photos. Proof. You need to print, document, and anything you can find. Whether it be a loved one in front of a tv with proof of the tv brand. Do your research now. The thread was eye opening. Also. Sorry for your loss. Good luck.

tmRoth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. My power strips and electrical connections are nowhere near as clean and organized as yours were in your before the fire photos. After reading your post, I'm going to make it a priority to check all of my electrical equipment around the tank, and I know I need to replace at least one power strip that has some corrosion on it. Thank you for sharing your story.

wjm6449

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. My power strips and electrical connections are nowhere near as clean and organized as yours were in your before the fire photos. After reading your post, I'm going to make it a priority to check all of my electrical equipment around the tank, and I know I need to replace at least one power strip that has some corrosion on it. Thank you for sharing your story.
Also GFCI those outlet kids.

OP
OP
Ctownjlo

Ctownjlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks. Too bad about your pooch. But good that you and family were OK. Things can be replaced. People can’t.
Is that 2nd pic your controller board? Looks like the main scorch is where the EB832 was mounted.
Yes that was my board. I agree as it lines up with the door fire.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started to read this thread and was contemplating on not reading further. I paused for a brief moment as it brought back a memory of my best friend that worked in a body shop. Long story short, he finished work and some idiots put something in the burn barrel out back and he was leaning against the car when whatever was in the fire exploded. He burned 98% of his body and from the explosion you could see his outline of his body on the car's paint.

So to continue reading your thread I'm very sorry to hear about your pup and also your entire loss. At least you all are okay.

You had a beautiful set up and your cable management looked exceptional and that's a hard one to swallow, like really what would have caused the fire? I would need to take a better look when I'm able to get on my PC or I have a larger screen to view your photos.

It's sad about everything but it's wonderful your insurance company is working with you where you and your family can have a new start in a beautiful home. I understand the loss and especially the way everything was set up and designed by yourself would also have me wondering what the heck happened.

I wish nothing but the best for you and your family and I pray that everything moves along quickly for you all so you can get back on with your normal day-to-day lives. God bless you all and stay well.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that was my board. I agree as it lines up with the door fire.
Musta short circuited or overheated. GFCI mighta saved you. They can sometimes be a pain as they can be temperamental but in a sitch like this, it mighta shut everything down.

OP
OP
Ctownjlo

Ctownjlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started to read this thread and was contemplating on not reading further. I paused for a brief moment as it brought back a memory of my best friend that worked in a body shop. Long story short, he finished work and some idiots put something in the burn barrel out back and he was leaning against the car when whatever was in the fire exploded. He burned 98% of his body and from the explosion you could see his outline of his body on the car's paint.

So to continue reading your thread I'm very sorry to hear about your pup and also your entire loss. At least you all are okay.

You had a beautiful set up and your cable management looked exceptional and that's a hard one to swallow, like really what would have caused the fire? I would need to take a better look when I'm able to get on my PC or I have a larger screen to view your photos.

It's sad about everything but it's wonderful your insurance company is working with you where you and your family can have a new start in a beautiful home. I understand the loss and especially the way everything was set up and designed by yourself would also have me wondering what the heck happened.

I wish nothing but the best for you and your family and I pray that everything moves along quickly for you all so you can get back on with your normal day-to-day lives. God bless you all and stay well.
Im sorry about your friend and to bring back those memories. I appreciate the kind words. If you do see something that looks wrong please let me know as I don't stop thinking about it. God bless.

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks man, I’m glad y’all are okay. This would have been devastating for me.

Out of curiosity, where was the controller in relation to the tank? Any chance of a leak or something getting in there?

GFCI or AFCI protection can help, but AFCI has bad nuisance tripping. As long as it is a newer GFCI and motor combo I think it should be okay, motors would have the potential to trip it though.

OP
OP
Ctownjlo

Ctownjlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks man, I’m glad y’all are okay. This would have been devastating for me.

Out of curiosity, where was the controller in relation to the tank? Any chance of a leak or something getting in there?

GFCI or AFCI protection can help, but AFCI has bad nuisance tripping. As long as it is a newer GFCI and motor combo I think it should be okay, motors would have the potential to trip it though.
If you are familiar with a red sea tank it is in the right cabinet side. It is basically enclosed from the rest of the tank minus a hole to the left to run wires and lines to the sump.

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are familiar with a red sea tank it is in the right cabinet side. It is basically enclosed from the rest of the tank minus a hole to the left to run wires and lines to the sump.
Gotcha, didn’t realize it was a RS. Past gens have had leak issues so it would not be out of the realm of possibility I don’t think…but probably no way to know now. and you also said it’s a sealed compartment with the only hole being on the opposite side as the fire started so probably not likely

Definitely would be pretty crazy if it was just the electrical components shorted out after only a year though

OP
OP
Ctownjlo

Ctownjlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, didn’t realize it was a RS. Past gens have had leak issues so it would not be out of the realm of possibility I don’t think…but probably no way to know now. and you also said it’s a sealed compartment with the only hole being on the opposite side as the fire started so probably not likely

Definitely would be pretty crazy if it was just the electrical components shorted out after only a year though
Unless the tank let go I can almost assure there was no water getting onto the electric components. It will definitely be up there with the questions and answers I need to know in the afterlife lol.

tmRoth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also GFCI those outlet kids.
I agree, but GFCI will only protect against electrocution. A better option might be to replace the circuit breakers for the outlets around the tank with dual AFCI/GFCI breakers. The arc fault breaker is designed to protect against fires by shutting off power to the circuit if it detects arcing, (like could occur from corroded wiring around a tank), which can create enough heat to start a fire. They run about $60, but replacing circuit breakers isn't a DIY project for many people (and probably shouldn't be for most people). According to my electrician, AFCI breakers have been required in new construction for most living area circuits for a couple of decades.

I have State Farm insurance and they sent me a Ting device, which monitors all the circuits to detect arcing and other problems that could cause a fire. They pay for the monitoring the first 3 years, I think it is.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 28 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back