Aquarium stands building help

shambeezy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I am new to R2R and figured I would make my first post for help when it comes to stand builds. I have read several posts and also saw @RocketEngineer design which is really nicely done! I’m not sure I would need to build my stand out of 2x4 though as the aquariums I want to build stands for are the Fluval flex 9 and Aqueon 14 cube. I would like to build them flush with the tank itself instead of having extra space on the top.
for both of these aquariums, I would like to have ample storage access for food, air pumps etc. and wrapped with something that I can paint to color of choice.
I thought originally to build it out of 2x4 but thinking about it, that would really cut down on any space that I would have on the inside. I don’t need much space, but enough to store a few things.
what materials do you recommend that I use that will hold up, sturdy and still looks nice?
I’m looking to build something that isn’t going to be to crazy in cost, but still looks really nice. Any ideas out there for what I’m looking for? Here are the measurements of both tanks.
Fluval flex: 14" L X 13" W X 13" H
Aqueon 14 gallon cube: 15.125" x 15.125" x 15.125"
Thank you in advance for the help!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I am new to R2R and figured I would make my first post for help when it comes to stand builds. I have read several posts and also saw @RocketEngineer design which is really nicely done! I’m not sure I would need to build my stand out of 2x4 though as the aquariums I want to build stands for are the Fluval flex 9 and Aqueon 14 cube. I would like to build them flush with the tank itself instead of having extra space on the top.
for both of these aquariums, I would like to have ample storage access for food, air pumps etc. and wrapped with something that I can paint to color of choice.
I thought originally to build it out of 2x4 but thinking about it, that would really cut down on any space that I would have on the inside. I don’t need much space, but enough to store a few things.
what materials do you recommend that I use that will hold up, sturdy and still looks nice?
I’m looking to build something that isn’t going to be to crazy in cost, but still looks really nice. Any ideas out there for what I’m looking for? Here are the measurements of both tanks.
Fluval flex: 14" L X 13" W X 13" H
Aqueon 14 gallon cube: 15.125" x 15.125" x 15.125"
Thank you in advance for the help!

I believe the link below will be a very good option for you.

Thread 'DIY: 1-Sheet Laminated Plywood Stand'
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diy-1-sheet-laminated-plywood-stand.616231/

OP
OP
S

shambeezy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the link below will be a very good option for you.

Thread 'DIY: 1-Sheet Laminated Plywood Stand'
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diy-1-sheet-laminated-plywood-stand.616231/

Thank you for the reply and information, the stand itself wouldn’t work for my builds that I’m looking for though. I need something smaller - I’m really going to like the Ada stand look, simple but modern.
3/4” plywood is plenty strong with out additional bracing.. 1/2” would be fine also but tends to split when screwing into the edge..
Yea I would hate to have it split on me, sounds like 3/4 would be a better fit

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply and information, the stand itself wouldn’t work for my builds that I’m looking for though. I need something smaller - I’m really going to like the Ada stand look, simple but modern.

No worries but did you read through the build? If you need a smaller stand then simply reduce the dimensions to match your needs.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3/4” plywood is plenty strong with out additional bracing.. 1/2” would be fine also but tends to split when screwing into the edge..
This is pretty much exactly what I posted in the link I provided before you had to go and throw your $.02 in! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is pretty much exactly what I posted in the link I provided before you had to go and throw your $.02 in! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
I’m in a hurry I don’t click links! Suppose to be working ;) haha!

Grill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For smaller tanks just buy a stand... I have a 29g in my office sitting on an Ikea stand with a 10g sump and 5g ATO underneath. I did add a couple braces to reinforce it. Think I paid $69. Here are some ideas, hope it helps. Welcome to R2R!!!

stand.jpg

Pine stand with drawer
Side table
nightstand

A couple ideas from Amazon...
Stand with drawers
Storage stand with drawers

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I failed to see that you’re a new member. Welcome to R2R! Hope you head over and post an introductory message.

(Thanks @Grill for pointing this out!)

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@shambeezy I made a stand for my 20G QT entirely from 1x3. It’s just a frame so you can finish it however you like. I glued all edges and used pocket screws. Since the tank isn’t on display no need for mine to be fancy. But you get the idea.

Only thing Id be careful of is the wood blocks I’m using to hold floor levelers. But the blocks are glued and screwed.
D8D62CCD-1C39-4AFC-9559-889428349A32.jpeg

OP
OP
S

shambeezy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries but did you read through the build? If you need a smaller stand then simply reduce the dimensions to match your needs.
I did read through it, I think my problem is I’m not good when it comes to building things lol. I would like to say I could build it with what you provided, but I’m not very skilled in this line of work so I tend to doubt my abilities to make one. I’ve watched countless YouTube videos on how to make one on top of that.. I may just need to bite the bullet and see what happens in the end. As long as it holds up and looks decent, I think that’s all that matters

OP
OP
S

shambeezy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the advice, links and ideas! I will see where my mind takes me with this project and see what happens in the end lol. Typically when I attempt projects like this, it never goes as planned, but works out in the end.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back