Arc's Vista23

ArcKatana

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After moving yet again, I've bought a house and started to settle in. I've got a couple other tanks that I'm setting up or starting to, but I wanted to make a build thread for this one.

It's a Fluval Vista23 (really a taller, rounder 20 long), with a panoramic front viewing pane. I took a trip to the LFS (its an hour away, I live in the middle of northern MN) and they had it for a really cheap price. I snagged it and a Fluval Sea 24" LED fixture which will be the new light once I modify the hood.

The tank comes with the following: (All Fluval)
Tank
Aquaclear 50
100 W Heater
Live Bacteria (200ish gallons the label says)
Net
Food
A quick start guide (Freshwater)
An 8 watt LED 8K light fixture

I painted the back black, and parked it for now. I need to build a stand, modify the hood (for both the new fixture and an AC110 which will be the only filter on it).

Tank looks like this (Stock light on):
IMG_0216.JPG

I've had the other light fixture before, I had it on my 30G JBJ Rimless a few years ago:
20150220_181959_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Not sure what I'll be putting in there, other than no clowns.

Being in the middle of nowhere, I've only got my wifi hotspot for internet (50$ for 5GB) so I'll most likely be updating once a week or so.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to the build updates

OP
OP
ArcKatana

ArcKatana

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saturday is my next day off, so I'll be working on the lights, cutting the top so they fit, and the foam wall. Going to try something different with it (the foam wall), as I think the tank lends itself to a different kind of landscape. And on an unrelated note, my 77XL tank is finally clearing up after two weeks of cloudiness.

OP
OP
ArcKatana

ArcKatana

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a dremel this morning and cut out the spot for the lights and cut the back out for the HOB. Need to get some pond foam and egg crate tomorrow. So far so good!

OP
OP
ArcKatana

ArcKatana

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made the hour trip to get pond foam and other supplies this morning. One corner done (needs sand):
IMG_0009.JPG

And the cut outs for the top:
IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

Going to work on the other corner tonight, and I'll have to figure out how I'll glue the sand to the foam.

OP
OP
ArcKatana

ArcKatana

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test fit for the corner. Off a little, but close enough.
IMG_0010.JPG

Still needs sand tho.

OP
OP
ArcKatana

ArcKatana

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my current plans on whats going to go into the tank, Im skipping the sand on the foam. It should be covered once it gets in there anyway. Pic with sand for the bottom and top of the levels. Note the HOB filter is there for spacing, it will be hidden behind foam.

IMG_0024.JPG

Close up of the other corner - shell is probably going, but there for effect.
IMG_0026.JPG

IMG_0024.JPG

OP
OP
ArcKatana

ArcKatana

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update - with spring here in northern Mn it's get outside and do stuff time. I've not yet set up the tank (I keep changing my mind where I want it, and what to put in it), and have been focusing on my 80G Refugium. Macro Algae and leathers with four fish at the moment. Still building it up algae wise (three kinds of Caluerpa and some Dragon's breath for now), and some nice purple sponge. The tank has been running since December with nothing in it, added the fish in the past couple of weeks. Planning on finding a home for the Vista on Saturday and filling it up.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back