• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Leishman

143gadgets' Mentor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some names are stupid, but at least you know what the coral looks like. If you were selling a 'pink chalice with a green rim' it could be one of 10-15 corals, but selling a 'Tyree watermelon' is much easier for the buyer to visualize.

A name lets you know what it looks like instantly is what I'm trying to say.

ddr_phish

Coral Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, specific names are very important in most cases. When many corals are fragged or under stress or bad lighting they lose their color, but being able to know its "Collector's Name" lets you know that its exactly what you're after.

OP
OP
reefboy

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said earlier I still plan to use names on alot of Item's but just plan on getting away from naming everything just because with my father taking pics and listing them unnamed so I plan to cut down my work when uploading dont worry the LE stuff will still be named so theres no confusion

cloakerpoked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pet peeve is people naming stuff to make it rare, rather than using it to ID stuff. Definitely, if you're 100% sure of a name that is in common usage, and is very unique, use the name? But should you name your new zoa that has alternating color in the skirts when the zoa it most looks like doesn't just to try to create the next Purple Hornet craze? That's where I draw the line and it gets ridiculous to me.

From a specificly retail perspective as a customer, I'd prefer better customer service which would include higher selection (especially if I'm having it shipped to me to make the shipping worthwhile), "fair" prices, quick shipping, good communication, etc. That you spent 5 hours asking people on 9 different forums what the name is to your zoa because its nowhere on zoaid or anywhere else you can find would rate pretty low on my list of things I'd care about. But if you have AoG's or Devil's Armor or LOTR palys or any of a bunch of others that are commonly used and readily identifiable, I'd definitely say use that name.

OP
OP
reefboy

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pet peeve is people naming stuff to make it rare, rather than using it to ID stuff. Definitely, if you're 100% sure of a name that is in common usage, and is very unique, use the name? But should you name your new zoa that has alternating color in the skirts when the zoa it most looks like doesn't just to try to create the next Purple Hornet craze? That's where I draw the line and it gets ridiculous to me.

From a specificly retail perspective as a customer, I'd prefer better customer service which would include higher selection (especially if I'm having it shipped to me to make the shipping worthwhile), "fair" prices, quick shipping, good communication, etc. That you spent 5 hours asking people on 9 different forums what the name is to your zoa because its nowhere on zoaid or anywhere else you can find would rate pretty low on my list of things I'd care about. But if you have AoG's or Devil's Armor or LOTR palys or any of a bunch of others that are commonly used and readily identifiable, I'd definitely say use that name.

Agree completely I plan to still use names on stuff that was bought or traded as a known name but I will be getting away from naming stuff just to name it unless its a very unique specimen.

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel that names are extremely important! If you think about it, what does not have a name.... When your house was built it had a name/floor plan name, you car has a name, you have a name and sooooo on. Names make it extremely easy for people to communicate. In this hobby you could say that you have pink zoanthid with a light colored skirt and designs in the middle. What kind of zoa would you think it is? In this case I could me talking about Armor of God, Devils Armor, Armageddon, Lord of the Rings and the list goes on. When I put the discription above I have Devils Armor in mind. In this case it would just be a lot easier to say that you have Devils Armor.
Of course this is only my opinion but naming the coral makes it much easier when it comes to buying, selling, trading and thats what this hobby is all about.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 45 32.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 27 19.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back