Attempt to encourage clownfish into anemone

m3rcfh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, just wanted to share my most recent experience with you all. I know it doesn't mean much but maybe people can maybe benefit from it somehow :)

So I have a pair of Ocellaris for a year now, and went through a couple of anemones before with the two not even looking at them. First anemone went for a ride and got sucked it by the canister filter intake I had going on. The second wasn't healthy at the LFS and I gave it a chance anyway, it sadly didn't make it.

So third time is the charm, got a nice-looking, big green bubble tip that seems rather happy an open from day one, in the tank for 4 weeks now. Clowns didn't even bat an eye, and last Sunday it decided to wander to a better place in the tank so I took the chance and captured it on a small container, as well as the female Ocellaris to try the "encouraging" method where both are in a small confined space.

Left her there with the anemone for 30 minutes or so, the fish was more concerned in escaping through the container holes than falling in love with the anemone. It touched its tentacles several times, and even pushed it away to try to find a escape route. Both were back to their normal routines immediatelly after, clowns won't even swim by the poor weird creature.

Some pictures below, not planning to repeat at this point as I feel bad for trying to capture the clowns and stressing them out. Our yellow tang freaks out when the net is in the tank, so not very good for the peace there.

Let me know your thoughts and comments!

20180923_132418.jpg

20180923_132415.jpg

20180923_132457.jpg

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our clowns and nems were like magnets to eachother, we got lucky, it only took about 30 minutes after adding the fish. Some take longer and some from what I have read...never. We had a 29 set up several years back and it took several months.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally do not encourage forced close proximity, if your clowns have not adapted to sting cells it can harm or even kill them, so be aware of that.

The best results come from natural clown and host matches, given what nem they would be found in the wild, that is usually immediate hosting, non natural host is a crapshoot as to how fast your clowns recognize and accept it.

OP
OP
M

m3rcfh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My intention of sharing the experience wasn't to start a discussion whether or not it's a best practice... I just wanted to let whoever is thinking in trying that method that it didn't work for me... I know it's not the most friendly way to try to get them together, but I gave the clown enough room to be away from the anemone and also kept watching it the whole time. It doesn't seem to be an uncommon practice from what I have been reading. I don't think she was in any pain, but maybe I'm wrong. Not doing it again as I said, if it didn't work this way, it's not meant to be...

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not knocking you personally, just a heads up to anyone reading.
Yes, many have done this and some still do and will, you will see youtube vids and all that, just know that it can work, but it can also end tragically, and if you are particularly fond of your clowns it might not be a trick you wish to gamble on.

Evan28395950

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, yeah it can take awhile. I introduced a nem way too early in my cycle, didn’t make it. I’m way more informed now, I have have a rose anemone. 2 months of having in the tank I noticed one of my clownfish started sucking on the tentacles. All he did was suck and the go back to swimming, repeat, for 2 weeks. Finally today I moved the rock the anemone was on to give it alittle more light. It wasn’t more than a 1/2 inch of a move and now the clownfish loves playing around in it, and sucking the tentacles too. Lol

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back