Attitude on the forums

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @revhtree said, this is a great reminder. At the moment, there are 2,142 members and 6,012 guests logged on. That's a lot of people. Will there be negativity and/or conflict in the future? Absolutely. With the sheer numbers of individuals interacting with each other, it's really inevitable. BUT, there IS an outstanding staff and an amazing membership that try hard, and I think succeed exceptionally well in keeping that sort of thing to a minimum.

I guess what I'm trying to get across is that I am absolutely certain that the the high standards and close-knit, friendly and helpful community environment that R2R provides is as strong today as it ever was, and that R2R will remain the best community on the interweb for ever.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I get frustrated or see someone posting negative things, I'll usually just report them and then hit the ignore button. Such a wonderful tool to avoid stress on here. Hope everyone's Christmas is shaping up to be an awesome one!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I get frustrated or see someone posting negative things, I'll usually just report them and then hit the ignore button. Such a wonderful tool to avoid stress on here. Hope everyone's Christmas is shaping up to be an awesome one!

It is SUPER rare, but yeah, the Ignore feature has a purpose. While there are MANY different ways to reef, there is really only one Golden Rule for how we treat each other.

That said, we all have bad days, but still want to be here amongst other enthusiasts. Apologize for tone quickly if you hit "POST REPLY" too soon. I am a nice person (thanks Mom, Dad!) but I have had to apologize here a time or two.

In the not so distant future, an AI algo will intercede when you press POST saying "You seem upset given the language you chose to use. Can you tell me how you are feeling right now before we post this?"

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is SUPER rare, but yeah, the Ignore feature has a purpose. While there are MANY different ways to reef, there is really only one Golden Rule for how we treat each other.

That said, we all have bad days, but still want to be here amongst other enthusiasts. Apologize for tone quickly if you hit "POST REPLY" too soon. I am a nice person (thanks Mom, Dad!) but I have had to apologize here a time or two.

In the not so distant future, an AI algo will intercede when you press POST saying "You seem upset given the language you chose to use. Can you tell me how you are feeling right now before we post this?"
This is to funny lol. Built in therapy lol. Happy holidays everyone. Everyone needs a reminder from time to time.

Roosterjack

Struttin’ and Cluckin’
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to provide answers and advice as much as I can, making sure to be clear if what I am saying is a best guess or simply a “Not sure but someone here likely does” bump. I would hope if someone feels the need to correct me they will do so, though preferably in a nice way.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to provide answers and advice as much as I can, making sure to be clear if what I am saying is a best guess or simply a “Not sure but someone here likely does” bump. I would hope if someone feels the need to correct me they will do so, though preferably in a nice way.

I try to do the same thing. I've been corrected before and really appreciate and value the correction. May sting a little bit at the time, but overall it makes the OP and me both better reefers. I have a thick skin. I can handle it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
If in a bad mood, or in huge disagreement. Walk away and re-read message and pretend it was being written to you. Then make appropriate changes.
Appropriate is the key word- what is appropriate? This site dwells on RESPECTFUL collaboration and its mission is for the betterment of husbandry and care of our reef tank - NOT to argue and belittle others or purposely interrupt another person to discredit another. I have read some ridiculous suggestions, but again it is a person who is trying to both learn and offer suggestions. I too have seen what I label as animosity over the last year, but also seen it dealt with by administrators.

If a comment seems Offensive simple click on this Link : Report
This is the purpose of report which will be handled appropriately by Administrator team.

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to mention an important rule for internet talk.

With each online interaction is a different channel. With online channels we lose a bunch of things we'd normally have when interacting in person. No emotion, sarcasm, facial expression etc. So keep in mind that maybe the way you are reading a message may not be the way was intended to be read.

Biggest fault in online messaging is that this is a channel that cannot be interpreted correctly 100% of the time.
Sarcasm is probably something to avoid altogether. There may a small percentage of people who get it, and think you are hilarious, but then there are the other 90% who could do without.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel very confident on the staff and community overall here. This is by far the most inclusive and least offensive content place. People have bad days, sometime we get cranky. Forgiveness, little thick skin, tolerance are very similar but useful things. As i aged, my tolerance have changed significantly (for the good), so I definitely give also benefit of doubt on inexperienced, younger folks. Part of learning you know. What I think key is to have some personal lows, like the ones staff members called out, is to distinguish between whats a bad day vs someone clearly crossing the line. Report button is the standard operating procedure in those situations. I really see very few those here. so rarely used it. I recall using it more for spam/bots :)

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The typed phrase almost never comes across as the writer intended. Not to long ago I had a situation on this board go south. The person had typed one comment, I and someone else took it wrong. I originally retorted in kind.. then I had second thoughts and removed my statement. Never the less the Email watched thread system had already sent my comment. Well.. this all got smoothed out thanks to more level heads. It really boiled down to people just not thinking before they hit the “Post Reply” button.

Everyone has a bad day. It’s when a person is always well... a jerk, that things should be adressed.

Let me say, it takes two to tango. It’s an old cliché but still very true. I have yet to use the “ignore“ button. Bad people tend to just go away when people won’t interact. The report button has however been useful to get some things back on track.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People will read into any words you write. Each person has a lens that they view the world thru. Most of us are not great writers and if we talked in person any Mia understand would be much easier to resolve.

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"The weather outside is frightful, but the fire is so delightful"
It's keyboard warrior season. No one is outside playing or working in the yard. This time of year a great deal more of us are on the computer shopping and such. So I think this time of year we see a lot more traffic that would otherwise not visit as much and more personalities means more misunderstandings and disagreements.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want more advanced users to hang around here you have to offer them something.

And that something is often debating topics that can include the realm of reef businesses, pros and cons of methods, larger trends in reefing, etc... which can become heated.

Otherwise if a little bit of attitude is not allowed they will simply get bored and find a place that it is allowed. You cannot expect advanced people to hang around a forum answering basic questions on a daily basis. They will want to discuss "hotter" topics where opinions on it can widely diverge where a bit of attitude is required to combat a differing opinion that might be stubborn and wrong.

my two cents.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I VERY often edit redo my post because plain text often comes across as unintentionally "short" despite the use off emoticons ... its hard to convey the right aire with out nonverbal cues ....
also people take correction as embarrassing attacks even when errors in advise is given ... IMO things are mild anymore compared to "old" flamewar days of the 90's

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know I gotta say...I'm generally very careful in what i say on-line since there's no non-verbal clues for context. But lately...ok, from the start if you've know me...I've been pretty free with my sense of humor here (removing all those colorful Navy phrases I learned that are just going to waste). I've never had anyone react badly to it. I think that's in large part because on here no one is looking to start a fight or get offended. It happens of course as sometimes people do cross the line for one reason or another, but it's not like other places where every one is just waiting to pounce on something that can be purposefully taken the wrong way.

It's nice to be able to kid around a bit and I can honestly I have a lot of fun on here.

Kudos to the admins!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You know I gotta say...I'm generally very careful in what i say on-line since there's no non-verbal clues for context. But lately...ok, from the start if you've know me...I've been pretty free with my sense of humor here (removing all those colorful Navy phrases I learned that are just going to waste). I've never had anyone react badly to it. I think that's in large part because on here no one is looking to start a fight or get offended. It happens of course as sometimes people do cross the line for one reason or another, but it's not like other places where every one is just waiting to pounce on something that can be purposefully taken the wrong way.

It's nice to be able to kid around a bit and I can honestly I have a lot of fun on here.

Kudos to the admins!

I have a sarcastic sense of humor - and I often come across as blunt. The only thing a person can do is try harder. So - thats what I do

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read this thread...some people just have bad attitudes period, not a bad day it’s just the way they are. Rude is rude, karma ...the reaction to what you put forward. To those people...good luck!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 34 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 127 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back