Auto top off, which is better?

timmyrules

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have been keeping reef tanks for a little while now, and I have been going on vacation more. But my tanks don’t have auto top off systems. So every time I came home the water level in my tanks would be super low. I found 2 systems on Amazon, but I cant decided which one is going to work better long term.

8E1E43B2-06DF-42B2-8061-7B69365D168A.jpeg 0EC4FD16-9B88-41D6-879A-5DEC8F50BA7D.jpeg

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For any ATO I would ensure that at a minimum they have dual sensors (in case one fails or gives false signal). Since you're using this to support going on vacation when you're out for days I would go something proven - Tunze Osmolator or similar reputation. A little low water is a minor issue (salinity varies on reefs all the time) a flooded floor is a big, expensive problem. If you do go discount, then limit water supply to only the days you'll be gone.

OP
OP
T

timmyrules

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would the xpaqua duetto ato work for a 3 gallon tank, 10 gallon tank, and 2 gallon tank?
never heard of either brand, sorry.

i use the xpaqua duetto ato. have not touched it since plugging it in and setting the water height.

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know either brand. When I first wanted an ATO I bought a cheap one and it did last a couple of months before the pump went out. I think the Tunze Osmolator is well worth the price. You probably won’t find better customer service.

OP
OP
T

timmyrules

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know, I’ll look into that one.
I don’t know either brand. When I first wanted an ATO I bought a cheap one and it did last a couple of months before the pump went out. I think the Tunze Osmolator is well worth the price. You probably won’t find better customer service.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
would the xpaqua duetto ato work for a 3 gallon tank, 10 gallon tank, and 2 gallon tank?
i would assume it would work the same in any sized tank. its just meant to pump water into your tank to reach a certain water height/line

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATO is not something you want to go cheap on because if it fails, it can potentially overflow your tank and cause catastrophic failure.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some other options might be less investment. I don't run or invest in ATO for small tanks, I just get covers - glass or plastic. You could even put some plastic wrap on the top (leave some open for gas exchange). This will reduce evaporation significantly and you likely could go a week or more without too much loss. Run a test now before you go on vacation and see if you like the results.

OP
OP
T

timmyrules

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some other options might be less investment. I don't run or invest in ATO for small tanks, I just get covers - glass or plastic. You could even put some plastic wrap on the top (leave some open for gas exchange). This will reduce evaporation significantly and you likely could go a week or more without too much loss. Run a test now before you go on vacation and see if you like the results.
I have glass tops that cover half of the top on 2 tanks, the other one has no top at all…I did try plastic wrap once, but after 2 days it had a film of slime on it.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have glass tops that cover half of the top on 2 tanks, the other one has no top at all…I did try plastic wrap once, but after 2 days it had a film of slime on it.
This guy will make custom lids at very good prices. I got dual replacement lids custom designed by me for my 75g for 85$

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 106 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back