Automatic Feeder

jgabbsxx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers!

I wanted to see what the most current favorite automatic feeders are today. I go on vacation for 2 weeks in April/May and my grandma usually feeds the fish, but as she is getting older its harder. I have 5 fish in the tank that all eat pellets when I am away so no worry there.

It doesn't need to be crazy expensive (LOL in saltwater tanks) but something that has proven no fault and is easy to set-up/use.

Thanks in advance!!

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I am using 2 auto feeders and I have used a lot.

I use a Lifegard auto feeder on my 200 gallon tank. For the most part, all of the auto feeders I have tried work but what I like about this one is the USB rechargeable battery. The AAs last a long time in most auto feeders but I am always worried that they will go bad right when I go on vacation so I wind up replacing a lot of batteries. You can even leave the USB cable plugged in if you really don't want to worry about it. The feeder is also very quiet. I had an AFS in the past and it was really loud which was a bit annoying.

I also use the Sera X-Feeder I wanted to try an auger-style feeder like the Plank but that was a bit more affordable. I use this on my eel tank where I have a tight-fitting glass lid and didn't want a large hole for the feeder. It works well for that purpose and because it is an auger you can more easily put in fine powder foods. I just use it for pellets.

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old school Eheim battary powered. Simple and stupidly reliable.

I use Hydros as my controller (love it), and got their feeder initially (hated it). It looked like a Eheim, but was absolute junk. It also lost wifi connectivity a couple times a day and didn't want a situation where it lost connectivity and din't feed or worse perma dumped food into the tank

MariahP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with everyone so far about the Eheim. Thats what I’ve used when I’ve gone out of town for a week or two. I’m a big paranoid about the batteries so I use fresh ones every time which is overkill.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't want crazy expensive, and pellets are fine for you, then the Eheim will do the job for you. I've tried lots of other auto-feeders and it's always been at a great spot regarding price, performance and reliability.

Having said that, I can't recommend the Plank autofeeder enough as a long-term solution. The feeding tube and mixing chamber really does make a difference and opens up the possibility of using freeze-dried foods instead of pellets. And it can be controlled with an aquarium controller or a timed outlet, which gives a lot more flexibility than the Eheim feeder does.

It's not cheap, but it is the single best addition I've made to my tank. Grab the Eheim for your vacation, and look at moving to the Plank long-term if you can.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back